Early voted today, your own plans?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Early voting is terrific! Really saves time and turmoil.

Today (10/24) I went by the civic center where they have early voting. Tons of signs and posters and precinct workers waving banners, resisted the temptation to drive over all the signs and make the workers scatter per Blues Brothers vs Nazis scene, just quietly parked instead.

Busy, steady stream of voters, so that indicates a brisk turnout overall. No real national issues here in Texas, because US Sen Cronyn is a shoo-in. Demo Wendy Davis made headlines with her filibuster some months ago, but she's way behind in the polls vs Greg Abbott. So Abbott should win handily for gov, and Dan Patrick as lt. gov.

I almost never punch the big "R" button but today I did, since there were essentially no oddball judgeships and so on, and my NRA guide pretty much made the "R" a good decision.

Texas' US Senate seat isn't a factor in the overall national race, but there are about 5-6 states that are pivotal this year. And it really looks as if the Demos will lose control of the Senate. That's a vital issue and I sure hope it does the switch.

Are you in one of these critical states where the US Senate seat is up for grabs? If so, please, please VOTE!

Hey, I'm sick as hell and in some continual pain prior to my Monday surgery, and I made it to the polls. So there's no lollygagging allowed, dudes!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    We're waiting til election day....our polling place is in the basement of a church in a little town with a population of 70....voting takes all of 5 minutes anytime you choose to stop in....unless you want to chat with the ladies and have a cookie or two....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    I got my absentee ballot in the mail the other day and plan to fill it out this weekend. Work has been so crazy lately, I wasn't sure if I would be able to make it to the polls. This is my first time voting absentee.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,039 Senior Member
    Voted a week ago. Important two elections in GA, Senate and Gov.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Voted last Sunday. Didn't want to wait till voting Tuesday. There were 6 voting stations and the voters were few and far between but the polls were open 1:00 to 5:00 on Sunday. This election will set our course so everyone must vote. :deadhorse: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    Already voted by mail over a week ago.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    We voted today
    took much longer than any other time for early voting and longer than most times on election day.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    ....if you get there early enough....sometimes they have pie.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    For pie I'd be early
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Did my early voting Wednesday, straight republican ticket for me too.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I got my absentee ballot in the mail the other day and plan to fill it out this weekend.

Same here......gives my time to research....and double check stuff over my coffee in the morning.........
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,411 Senior Member
    They closed all of the little polling places here so I will try to vote early or drive 7 miles and wait in line. I liked the old way better.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,073 Senior Member
    Permanent vote by mail here. Sent in both mine and my wife's just today.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,255 Senior Member
    The dummycrap plan works for me- - - - - -"Come early and vote often!"

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BarrydBarryd Member Posts: 188 Member
    Cast my ballot today.
    Barry
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    We vote on election day in a low turnout precinct. It's kind of a family tradition. Years ago, the entire family went at the same time, and we occasionally swung a precinct race when there were low turn-outs.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,350 Senior Member
    I will vote day of. The 'early vote' movement here, along with the fight over voter ID law, the recall effort, the occupation of the capitol, the 'Flee bags', the John Doe 'scandal', the lawsuits, the appeals, the re-appeals, petitions, the protests and the never-ending procession of political add after political add has completely soured me on our current political process. I guess this is my own form of protest. Screw you, political machine!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    ....if you get there early enough....sometimes they have pie.....

Ha! Looking at the size of the poll workers, I'm pretty sure that any tasty treats were gone way before the doors opened.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    timc wrote: »
    Did my early voting Wednesday, straight republican ticket for me too.

I most always split my vote because locally there are always a couple of Republican jerks on the ballot. This time they're apparently been weaned off during the primary, and none of those on the ballot raised a red flag for me. Their names were also listed on the NRA ballot list, so I figured, "Hey, jerk but pro-gun, I'll hold my nose."

What happened here in Texas was that the conservatives were ALL victorious in the primary statewide! As I've said before (and plenty here know this to be true), it's in the primary that you can shape your party as it needs to be. Luckily, Texas Republicans dumped all the RINOs at the curb during the state primary. Keen.

So this time around I just pushed the big R button. And was glad of it.

• KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,244 Senior Member
    Voted this morning. Only had to hold my nose twice.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Voted this morning. Only had to hold my nose twice.

Totally understand the feeling. However we probably need to do that this time around. Anything to get rid of the Demo Senate.

• Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Mailed it!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,255 Senior Member
    284425063_1bf7f826cc.jpg

:devil:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,942 Senior Member
    Vote on election day. Did the early/absentee thing once when I was going out of state for a hunting trip and found it to be more of a pain in the ass than simply going where it happens, when it happens. Plan is simple: loosen the Democrat stranglehold on CA.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    The news around Atlanta is the churches were bussing people to the polls and telling them to vote Democratic. Mrs. Carter showed up to get it on TV. Looks like another fair election on the way. :angry: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I early voted a few days ago. First time I've ever early voted. In the past I waited in line on that Tuesday because I somehow felt like I was fulfilling my duty as a citizen by waiting in line. And when we lived in LR there was always a line. Last time at our tiny little precinct in a church there was only a few ahead of me.

But this year my older neighbors kept coming by to see if I had voted yet. So I tried early voting and it was really easy and now I'm done. BTW, I don't know about you guys but I always thank the volunteer poll worker profusely for their service.

In a former life I traveled for business so I almost always voted absentee. I remember staying up late many times listening to the radio at deer camp to see how things were going.

I also punched the big red button and it was easy to do. Our current Senator is seen as vulnerable so we're carpet bombed with negative ads. He voted for O-care which has totally screwed me. His Republican challenger, Tom Cotton, is a Harvard grad who joined the Army. They wanted to put him in with the JAG. But he insisted on the infantry, like his daddy did in Viet Nam. He eventually earned the Bronze star in Afghanistan. A+ NRA rating, it was a no brainer for me.

That thing that Fat Billy said about the black churches, what I keep hearing is they're telling them to come to church and vote in the pews, So then the ballots will be sent in for absentee voting, thereby avoiding the voter ID issue. The Democrats know that voter turn out is their only hope this cycle.

So I implore you folks to do your duty and vote. Check with family, friends, and neighbors. If the Dems retain the Senate then Obama will get rubber stamps on anti gun Federal Judges and probably 2 SCOTUS judges.

I'm begging you, if you have a Senate election in your state, for God's sake vote!
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »

, because US Sen Cronyn is a shoo-in. Demo Wendy Davis made headlines with her filibuster some months ago, but she's way behind in the polls vs Greg Abbott. So Abbott should win handily for gov, and Dan Patrick as lt. gov.

Yeah Common sense would dictate this, but I don't trust it to chance. I say everybody everywhere that's conservative and wants the best for our country, and even more so here in Texas, get off your asses and go vote. Whether you do it in the early voting or on November 4th, do it and don't forget, because this could be one of the most important elections of our lifetime. DON'T leave it to CHANCE!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    I will go to the polls and vote on election day. My polling place is the clubhouse in my development. Walkin' distance - but I'll drive anyway. If only to take up a parking space someone else might need.
    snake284 wrote: »
    samzhere wrote: »

,because US Sen Cronyn is a shoo-in. Demo Wendy Davis made headlines with her filibuster some months ago, but she's way behind in the polls vs Greg Abbott. So Abbott should win handily for gov, and Dan Patrick as lt. gov.

Yeah Common sense would dictate this, but I don't trust it to chance. I say everybody everywhere that's conservative and wants the best for our country, and even more so here in Texas, get off your asses and go vote. Whether you do it in the early voting or on November 4th, do it and don't forget, because this could be one of the most important elections of our lifetime. DON'T leave it to CHANCE!

Oh, I agree totally! Vote and vote every election!

I was simply stating facts about the poll results. Texas has turned totally "red" and it takes a major upset to elect a Democrat statewide these days.

But even so, it's important to cast your vote because there are plenty of more closely contested local elections, plus the essential feeling that you get from that voting procedure. It feels good!

Also, depending on which state you live in, the quantity of Republican (or Democrat) votes during a statewide election helps determine the delegate count for the next presidential convention. So if there are more Republican votes, this can send a couple more state delegates to the convention for your state. Every little bit helps.