A productive way to spend a Saturday

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,668 Senior Member
Been meaning to "break-in" my new 6 cavity LEE .430-310 mould and also wanted to cast some Lyman "Great Plains" bullets to try in my ML.

Fired up my lee pot with the "Hard" unknown alloy and me Coleman stove with the cast iron pot with pure lead in it. First, that 6 cavity LEE mould is FINICKY, took quite a while to figure out if likes the alloy HOT and the pour SLOW. Once I got that figured out, and also that I could dump the sprues off the plate back into the pot and not have to refill the pot as often.

Here's some of the 44 bullets
DSC_3070_zpsac3c00ac.jpg

and a close up of one of them, and one or the 35 or so ML bullets
2bullets_zps06a9b0cd.jpg

There are probably still a few culls in the pile of 44 bullets, I'll go through them after they all cool.

I have some 20:1 melting in the pot now, going to cast some .357-158 SWC-HP-GC from the softer alloy. Needed a break though, and my camera was in my truck (which I have open proving the tunes to work by :tooth: )
I also cast a few (8) of the .430-310s from some 40:1, I am going to use some of the hard ones and see how they shoot in the ML in sabots instead of the 300gr Rainier HPs I've been using, and if they shoot well, going to load the softer ones for hunting. If not, will go to the full sized GP bullets and see how THEY shoot.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,786 Senior Member
    Looks good! I've used my cast bullets in WW and pure lead in sabots in .45 and .50 cal. muzzle loaders. Like anything else muzzle loading or centerfire, you have to chase the sweet spot. The saboted hard cast and the pure lead didn't like the same powder charge in my ML rifles, but you might get lucky!

Don't be hatin' me, but you need to recast that great plains bullet. It has wrinkles and driving bands aren't filled out from either a too cool mold or too cool lead. Wrinkles in bullets can hide voids that will throw the bullet off target.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Yeah. I noticed that when I looked at the pic, but was too tired to go out and get another pic of a better one :p

Ain't gonna be no "hatin' " from me for you speaking the truth :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Looks good.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Yeah. I noticed that when I looked at the pic, but was too tired to go out and get another pic of a better one :p

Ain't gonna be no "hatin' " from me for you speaking the truth :beer:

For plinkin' bullets, I'll let one like that slide, but for huntin' I weigh and visually check, and cull like crazy, and I bet you do, too. I'd hate to lose one to a bullet that wasn't 'up to snuff'! :beer::tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    They look good
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Thanks guys :beer:

Mike, I use ones like that for practicing. May not group as well as the "perfect" ones, but will at least give me a general idea where they're hitting in relation to my scope, since I'm sighted in with 300gr plated HPs in sabots.

Though, if they'll group, I'm liking the 310s. Having some sized, but not lubed, is one of the reasons I wanted to cast some today. I actually still have a couple of hundred of them sized, lubed w/ GC installed. Don't want the lube causing inconsistent sabot release, and no need for a GC on a bullet in a sabot.

Reason I cast so many? Once I got the lead and mould temps right, and the pour speed adjusted right, it's hard to quit when you're getting 6 pretty bullets at a time :tooth:

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    Very cool. nice project to keep you sane! :cool2:
    pjames777 wrote: »
    Very cool. nice project to keep you from losing what little sanity you have left :cool2:

FIFY :rotflmao:

I freely admit to being "crazy" :tooth:

knitepoet wrote: »
    Thanks guys :beer:

Reason I cast so many? Once I got the lead and mould temps right, and the pour speed adjusted right, it's hard to quit when you're getting 6 pretty bullets at a time :tooth:

There's a lot of truth in that. Once you get started and everything starts falling into place, it's hard to quit until you run out of lead. Or you realize that you've been pouring for a few hours more than you intended!

tennmike wrote: »
    Or you realize that you've been pouring for a few hours more than you intended!
    :win:

I cast so long today that I had to ice my shoulder.