Did the last check at the ranch today, we are ready to hunt!

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
Did a last check on the feeders and checked the blinds today, we are ready to hunt. Lots of game coming into the feeders so it should be productive. I'm taking off the next two Fridays to play around at the ranch. Don't know if I'll see anything worth shooting but I'm ready to have some woods time. Usually we don't get a lot of movement until December since it is still pretty warm here but who knows. I do know it will be great weather for the opening weekend BBQ!
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    Pigs, deer, or both on the shoot list now?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,854 Senior Member
    I've got to go put up one feeder and fill another two. I need to tighten the fences around the feeders and move one also. My son in law wanted to build two tree blinds but I think his golf game and work got in the way. I wanted to go out after church with him tomorrow but it's his 40th b-day and my daughter is throwing him a party. He said his work schedule is changing. Instead of working 8-4 weekdays, he's going go be working 4-12. There's some special investigating thing he's doing and one investigator is doing days and he being newest at that job is doing the evenings. So we may go out Monday morning if he's not too hungover from tomorrow.

If not, I'll go solo.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    timc wrote: »
    Did a last check on the feeders and checked the blinds today, we are ready to hunt. Lots of game coming into the feeders so it should be productive. I'm taking off the next two Fridays to play around at the ranch. Don't know if I'll see anything worth shooting but I'm ready to have some woods time. Usually we don't get a lot of movement until December since it is still pretty warm here but who knows. I do know it will be great weather for the opening weekend BBQ!

I don't do opening weekend BBQs because I gotta kill something to cook first,

:roll2:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Pigs, deer, or both on the shoot list now?

Lots of pig tracks as usual but did see a lot of deer tracks too, we even found a shed that had 4 points from last year so maybe he is a shooter this year. We also saw a nice big mountain lion track coming through the fence on a trail at the back end of the property, I have seen them out there a few times Over the years but have never been able to get a shot off before they are gone.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    snake284 wrote: »
    I've got to go put up one feeder and fill another two. I need to tighten the fences around the feeders and move one also. My son in law wanted to build two tree blinds but I think his golf game and work got in the way. I wanted to go out after church with him tomorrow but it's his 40th b-day and my daughter is throwing him a party. He said his work schedule is changing. Instead of working 8-4 weekdays, he's going go be working 4-12. There's some special investigating thing he's doing and one investigator is doing days and he being newest at that job is doing the evenings. So we may go out Monday morning if he's not too hungover from tomorrow.
    If not, I'll go solo.

Burning daylight brother, time is close!
    I don't do opening weekend BBQs because I gotta kill something to cook first,

:roll2:

Hunting for opening weekend BBQ is done at the meat market, ribeyes are on the menu.
    Hunting for opening weekend BBQ is done at the meat market, ribeyes are on the menu.
    Yes well, each to his/her own. I got in the habit back in the late 80s several of us hunted out of Uvalde and we got in the habit of attending a certain wild game dinner there. Then when I changed leases and hunted around Halletsville, we just started BBQing at the lease on Opening Weekend. No telling what we'd cook, anything from Armadillo to Hog. Since we could legally shoot a hog right up to the week before season opened that became the staple for our annual BBQ. Actually of course you can shoot hogs all year round and we usually have some pretty fresh wild pork in the freezer most of the year. But those rib eyes sound wonderful.
    Yes well, each to his/her own. I got in the habit back in the late 80s several of us hunted out of Uvalde and we got in the habit of attending a certain wild game dinner there. Then when I changed leases and hunted around Halletsville, we just started BBQing at the lease on Opening Weekend. No telling what we'd cook, anything from Armadillo to Hog. Since we could legally shoot a hog right up to the week before season opened that became the staple for our annual BBQ. Actually of course you can shoot hogs all year round and we usually have some pretty fresh wild pork in the freezer most of the year. But those rib eyes sound wonderful.

We still do that too just not for the opening weekend party with the significant others who some of don't eat that icky critter of the forest stuff!

About mid season we will have a kill it and cook it day. Everyone is supposed to bring something back to camp; a bass or two out of the tank (Pond for you northerners) a rabbit, pig, snake, duck, raccoon, whatever you can kill in bring in that day. Its a lot of fun and you don't ever know what's coming in. This was something my dad always did even way back when I was a small boy and that is more than a half century ago.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    We still do that too just not for the opening weekend party with the significant others who some of don't eat that icky critter of the forest stuff!

About mid season we will have a kill it and cook it day. Everyone is supposed to bring something back to camp; a bass or two out of the tank (Pond for you northerners) a rabbit, pig, snake, duck, raccoon, whatever you can kill in bring in that day. Its a lot of fun and you don't ever know what's coming in. This was something my dad always did even way back when I was a small boy and that is more than a half century ago.

Your SURE your not hunting in a zoo?:tooth: That sounds like fun, it is cool you guys know how to cook all of those critters.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Your SURE your not hunting in a zoo?:tooth: That sounds like fun, it is cool you guys know how to cook all of those critters.

Sometimes we do, sometimes not so much. That's one of the things that makes it fun!