Home Main Category Clubhouse

Dumb TV cliches (gun related or not)? just for fun

samzheresamzhere Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
You can see that I'm either bored or nervous re. my impending surgery Monday the 27th, or both, because I'm wasting electrons again. I really ought not to do this, because electrons are apparently a valuable resource and can't just be created at the flip of a switch (as can be photons) and the total number of electrons in the universe is constant.

So it's environmentally ill advised to waste electrons. That being said, I'll ask you to also do the same. Just to totally waste time (and those pesky electrons, too).

What dumb TV show cliches either irritate you or are just goofily funny? And yeah, gun or non-gun stuff, whatever. And yeah, I realize that I could just change the channel, but where's the fun in that?

For example...

During the Sam Waterston era on "Law & Order", my favorite episode is the one where the rich, snobby, white person tries to get away with a crime. Oh, wait... that's the way ALL the episodes turn out. Every. Single. Episode.

And also for that gardening show "Lawn-Order", whenever they're trying to track down a gun used in the crime, it's ALWAYS stolen from some rich guy's closet and the box where it was kept is ALWAYS on a top shelf in the closet and when opened, a blank space where the gun was supposed to be. And then, the detectives ALWAYS go to New Jersey to talk to the gun shop owner and he's ALWAYS rude and uncaring. You'd think the writers would try a variation but they don't -- every single gun-related episode has the same sequences. The writers must have a prepared cut & paste scene they've written 5 years prior, and just copy/paste into the new script.

My girlfriend likes to watch the re-runs of the old supernatural comedy/drama "Charmed" -- the 3 good looking sisters who are witches? I've noticed that if ANY character has facial hair (mustache or beard) it's always a bad guy. Always. The good guys are always clean shaven.

And on "Charmed" what's the deal about those guys dressed like Episcopal bishops? These guys (apparently major leadership good guys) also generally seem to resemble Bill Murray for some reason. Actually, their leader is usually John de Lancie (Q from Star Trek) who happens to resemble Bill Murray anyway. Maybe they're the same person, I don't know.

Ever think that "Castle" is simply a remake of "Murder, She Wrote"? And nobody's ever been able to tell me, within the show's internal "logic", how Castle is allowed to examine crime scene evidence and question murder suspects. I mean, sure, he's a mystery novelist but he's still a 100% private citizen. What's his "special excuse" (according to the show's fictional premise) for having carte blanche? I mean, hey, I write mystery novels, too. What say I show up at Houston Homicide HQ next week and start interviewing murder witnesses and helping them with the crime scene. How long do you suppose I'd last?

(by now you can see that I'm really, really bored today, till the Texans game and World Series, right?)

I think I've asked this before, but... Does anyone ever remember any TV action/crime show in which a private citizen used a gun legally and correctly? The only instance I can recall is in "24" a few years back, Jack took refuge in a gun shop and the pro-American Iranian owners help him fight the terrorists.

"Bones" has 3 basic plots: In each episode, a weirdly deceased corpse is discovered, and then either 1) someone gets married or engaged, 2) someone has a baby, or 3) someone has a lengthy and heartfelt conversation with the gay-but-in-the-closet psychiatrist. And did you ever note that this shrink actually has no real work or job, except to hang around and be a bratty sounding board for the other cast?

Regarding gun stuff, there are too many cliches (and errors) to even begin to list, and we've had separate threads on these, of course, but just a couple of the standards:
1- everyone in the world uses only 9mm pistols, there being no other caliber.
2- all guns, even Glocks, make this weird clicking sound when drawn from the holster.
But we've done this to death, however if you've got any new gun goofs or gun cliches that you remember, keen.

Okay... should you be equally bored or whatever, your own dumb TV stuff?...

Replies

• shushshush Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I think I've asked this before, but... Does anyone ever remember any TV action/crime show in which a private citizen used a gun legally and correctly?

NCIS Rule Fifty-One

Gibbs dad, Mr Walton, he saw off the Mex Drug Bitch with his Winchester.

....... or nervous re. my impending surgery Monday the 27th

I have just lived though a Book of Common Prayer Communion service ( do not ask )and prayed, you will be fine. :up:
  • Gene LGene L Posts: 12,817 Senior Member
    The good guys always chamber a round on an auto pistol before they go into an iffy situation.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    The good guys always chamber a round on an auto pistol before they go into an iffy situation.
    :that:
  • NNNN Posts: 25,236 Senior Member
    No bullets in the chambers of revolvers.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    No bullets in the chambers of revolvers.

Muzzles get tiny like they are a .22 bore.

In Westerns (Movies and TV) the Civil War has just ended and our hero heads west or home with an Army Colt .45 on his hip that wasn't even available until 1873. And maybe an 1870s lever gun in his scabbard.

One cop movie has the star sniping the bad guys off in the desert, but their rubber M-16s have droopy/bent barrels when they get out of their limos!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Posts: 12,817 Senior Member
    Most Hollywood rifles are Model 92 Winchesters so they can shoot the .44-40 rounds same as the revolvers. John Wayne's rifle was a 92 with a big loop, which I think was invented by his outfitters.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • olesniperolesniper Posts: 3,767 Senior Member

Ever think that "Castle" is simply a remake of "Murder, She Wrote"? And nobody's ever been able to tell me, within the show's internal "logic", how Castle is allowed to examine crime scene evidence and question murder suspects. I mean, sure, he's a mystery novelist but he's still a 100% private citizen. What's his "special excuse" (according to the show's fictional premise) for having carte blanche? I mean, hey, I write mystery novels, too. What say I show up at Houston Homicide HQ next week and start interviewing murder witnesses and helping them with the crime scene. How long do you suppose I'd last?

Put that on your "to do" list, for next week.........also......must have video.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Dr. dbDr. db Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Bones always cites some spurious liberal statistic.
  • gatorgator Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    The cop waits to rack the slide on a pump shotgun till the bad guy is standing right in front of him.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Glocks make a strange crinky crink sound seconds before being fired, NCIS character Gibbs never seems to have a round chambered in his sidearm.

Criminal minds has scored very high with anti gun cliches.

Garcia moans how Florida made its gun laws more lax, a true falsehood.
    Morgan berates people for having too many guns, " you don't need x amount of guns" etc..
    Most gun owners in Criminal minds are dumb boobs and shoot innocent people.

Hotchner is supposedly trying to train Reed to shoot / pass qualification, consisting of having him shoot and giving him up as a lost cause without even trying to help him.

A lady not a criminal buys an ordinary pump shotgun and Hotchner exclaimed it is that easy to get a gun? Someone replies, hey, this is Texas! Never mind that the same instant check is made in Texas, or that criminals can't buy guns in Texas gun stores any easier than in other States.

Blue Bloods episode with a Latin dictator seeking medical help in a NYC medical center, the writers not realizing all medical aid and details security etc are arranged by the FEDs State dept. etc , not local City or State government.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • horselipshorselips Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I pay for cable, therefore, I never watch any show on any channel between 2 and 13.
  • will-jwill-j Posts: 50 Member
    Will, don't forget most everyone racking the slide- sometimes in the middle of a firefight; [ even though they just fired some rounds at the bad guys].
    :confused:
    [email protected]; I need my meds.
    THE WINDS OF TYRANNY ARE BLOWING FROM OUR OWN CAPITOL.
    McGyver (sp?) Was a good example, he could still kill the bad guy, but not with a gun, only with improvised stuff, it was OK to blow someone up with improvised explosives but wrong to shoot bad guys.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Not a gun flub, but all of the detective shows (NCIS, Criminal Minds, all 87 versions of Law and Order, etc) all make it way too easy for their special techie/researcher/computer guru to find anything and everything out about a particular person in about 3 seconds.
    "Garcia, I need the name, address, phone number, bank account numbers, make/model of their car, social security number, favorite food, pet's name, and what they had for breakfast for everyone who graduated from Madison Central High School between 1987 and 1994."
    "You got it, boss." ***3 second pause, with lots of typing***
    "Sending it to your cell now."
  • bisleybisley Posts: 10,815 Senior Member
    Being a fan of westerns, I've only seen a few where the time was established as immediately following the Civil War and everybody was carrying 1858 Remingtons, 1860 Colts, and Henry or Spencer repeaters. Surprisingly, most of them are newer, like "Hell on Wheels,' that are reasonably period correct. I thought I had an old one yesterday that was right, because they had all the revolvers right and in believable holsters, but then the 1866 and 1873 Winchesters started showing up. I guess they did the best they could - just couldn't round up any Henrys or Spencers. I've seen variations of this, where they had the Henrys and Springfields, but were also carrying Peacemakers. I cut them some slack though, if they are good stories, thinking that nobody cared that much - probably didn't at the time.

John Wayne movies are some of the worst about being period correct, even the good ones that were directed by John Ford.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    In the John Wayne movie Alamo, Davy Crockett (John Wayne) is carrying a lever action.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Everyone was drunk making those films, the writers the producers the directors, do you think any of those cats gave a rats bum about period correct anything ? They were cranking out films for the beer / gin soaked masses for a profit.
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    The one I always get a laugh out of is whenever the movie or TV show is about a nuclear power plant they always show the cooling towers belching out all that deadly dihydrogen monoxide vapor. And they always have the primary coolant being run to the cooling towers for cooling; doesn't happen in a pressurized water reactor or even a boiling water reactor. What a load of meadow muffins. It would take a very major failure of both the primary and secondary side systems in a PWR for that to happen, and much the same failure in a BWR. There are these great big valves that close to prevent that steam from escaping during an accident; the stuff gets contained inside the reactor containment building.

I suppose it would suck if the movie maker got it right and the accident got contained within the first hour with no death and destruction. The movie would be a real loser.

FWIW, in the nuclear community, the movie "The China Syndrome" is considered a comedy.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Posts: 25,283 Senior Member
    Mike, even I know better regarding cooling loops in reactors!

I often spot contrails in westerns, and even yellow broken lines on 2 way roads when the supposed time period was before the 1970s (they were all white then).
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • samzheresamzhere Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Not a gun flub, but all of the detective shows (NCIS, Criminal Minds, all 87 versions of Law and Order, etc) all make it way too easy for their special techie/researcher/computer guru to find anything and everything out about a particular person in about 3 seconds.
    "Garcia, I need the name, address, phone number, bank account numbers, make/model of their car, social security number, favorite food, pet's name, and what they had for breakfast for everyone who graduated from Madison Central High School between 1987 and 1994."
    "You got it, boss." ***3 second pause, with lots of typing***
    "Sending it to your cell now."

The spoof/humor site "cracked" (which I highly recommend) has a couple of good articles about "hollywood not knowing how computers work" and proving it every week.

I have become a bit tired of the sort of stuff you mention as well, and it spoils the show for me more than it used to.

I didn't actually start this thread about gun goofs (we've got thousands of them to list, whew) but mostly the non-gun junk. Nevertheless, yeah, some of these gun goofs are just absurd.
  • samzheresamzhere Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Everyone was drunk making those films, the writers the producers the directors, do you think any of those cats gave a rats bum about period correct anything ? They were cranking out films for the beer / gin soaked masses for a profit.

You're pretty much on target for this.

I do know that some have been extra-vigilant here regarding some gun errors, like "he's using a 1989 Colt revolver and the show's supposed to happen in 1988! EEEEK!

Which is a tad bit anal, as I see it. But nevertheless, you'd think that SOMEONE would spot bigger mistakes. The small ones, hey... let it slide.

The movies and TV shows do in fact have people whose job is continuity, so that the hero isn't wearing a different necktie one moment from the next, and they also have tech experts who review all the stuff to be shown and are supposed to note the errors. Now whether the producers or directors care enough to change things, yeah, that's another matter.

Cracked has this one article showing that on NCIS one episode, Abby and another guy (I forget who) were BOTH typing on the same keyboard quickly (I think to stop a virus or to search the internet or whatever) but how he hell could two people use the same keyboard at the same time (they were typing over each other, really!) and make any sense? Now THAT is just plain stupidity and it's an insult to the audience.
    zorba wrote: »
    Mike, even I know better regarding cooling loops in reactors!

I often spot contrails in westerns, and even yellow broken lines on 2 way roads when the supposed time period was before the 1970s (they were all white then).

Knowing the cooling loops in nuclear plants makes you above average. :up:

Contrails in western movies is always a good one. And the yellow painted lines in movies pre 70's is a good catch, too. That striping yellow paint came out early 70's best I remember.

And speaking of western movies, if you see a western movie with creosote telegraph poles, throw a penalty flag on that, too.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,771 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Yep, on the last Denzel film I just commented on, he ignore the suppressed SMGs lying all over the place and he kills a guy with a power drill to the back of the head. THAT ONE makes a LOT of sense. BTW it was still a fun flick worth watching. :cool2:

Then you will like the new John Wick movie. He kills most with a handgun and usually kills them good and dead. Actually reloads like someone cared about authenticity also.
    tennmike wrote: »
    ... if you see a western movie with creosote telegraph poles, throw a penalty flag on that, too.
    Never thought of that! Good one.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    JKP wrote: »
    Then you will like the new John Wick movie. He kills most with a handgun and usually kills them good and dead. Actually reloads like someone cared about authenticity also.
    Reload? No-one ever does that! If Indiana Jones never did, why should anyone else?! :silly:

)O(
    There was a MASH episode where Frank Burns coveted and appropriated an ordinary Colt double action revolver from property storage, it belonged to a patient / officer, and everyone kept ranting on as if it was particularly valuable, during the Korean conflict era, those guns were still cheap, even 1873 era single action revolvers were still relatively cheap in the 1950s.

Yet Colonel Potty lectures this officer on how he should lose that pistol.

Dumb.
    tennmike wrote: »
    Knowing the cooling loops in nuclear plants makes you above average. :up:
    Got an education following FukUshima.

)O(
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Years after Chernobyl hunters in Germany (then West GE) were still required to have the game they shot checked for radiation levels. May still have to, I dunno. They say Reindeer/Moose in the North Countries got enough that some were lighting up testers like Rudolph's nose.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Years after Chernobyl hunters in Germany (then West GE) were still required to have the game they shot checked for radiation levels. May still have to, I dunno. They say Reindeer/Moose in the North Countries got enough that some were lighting up testers like Rudolph's nose.

Chernobyl was a graphite moderated reactor. The type reactor used to make and refine the plutonium for one of the first nuclear weapons. They are unreliable, nasty, dangerous, and inherently unsafe. The cloud from the Chernobyl reactor reached most of Northwestern Europe and contaminated most everything.

Similar to the Chernobyl thing, any deer killed on the Oak Ridge National Laboratories site have been required to be checked for radiation levels for decades. Lots of deer have been confiscated due to them being a little 'warm'. Same for Hanover, WA and other nuclear weapons refining sites in the U.S. Some of the contaminated bucks from Oak Ridge have had some really strange racks.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Posts: 8,305 Senior Member
    Cops doing a wire tap, pretending to be a phone guy, tapping the power neutral, holding the butt set upside down.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.