Home Main Category Clubhouse

Saw "Fury" last night

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 14,183 Senior Member
I can't say that I did not like it but I can say that I'm not going to buy the video. It was really hard to have much sympathy for any of the characters and there were several tactical things that I just could not swallow. There is some awesome action with Shermans and the running of the Sherman looked very realistic to me, and much to my chagrin, there is only one scene with the Tiger tank. I would say if you think you're going to watch the movie, I would watch it in the theater. It is not for children to watch, the carnage is approaching Saving Pvt. Ryan and there is quite a bit of suspense and stress watching the movie, the imagery is sticking with me today.
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    A landing light job, eh!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    A landing light job, eh!

I have no clue:uhm:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    The only thing that wasn't up to speed was the ending. Two "potato mashers" would not have left enough of Brad "Wardaddy" to put a jacket over. Not much of the Tiger but at least it was a real one. By that time in the war maybe it was one of the last ones. The weapons were spot on. Fury was packing a 76mm high velocity cannon as the other Shermans had the standard 75mm shot barrel cannons. I'm glad Bruce Willis wasn't in the movie so the gunners had to actually reload. Did anyone notice "Wardaddy" was carrying a Sturmgewehr 44 at the first of the movie? :popcorn: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    The only thing that wasn't up to speed was the ending. Two "potato mashers" would not have left enough of Brad "Wardaddy" to put a jacket over. Not much of the Tiger but at least it was a real one. By that time in the war maybe it was one of the last ones. The weapons were spot on. Fury was packing a 76mm high velocity cannon as the other Shermans had the standard 75mm shot barrel cannons. I'm glad Bruce Willis wasn't in the movie so the gunners had to actually reload. Did anyone notice "Wardaddy" was carrying a Sturmgewehr 44 at the first of the movie? :popcorn: Later,

I think these guys would have been much more conservative this late in the war, think Band of Brothers or the "Oddball" character in Kelly's Heroes, especially around a Tiger tank. Not a speck of air to ground support either, the allies owned the sky at this point, I doubt that last group of Germans would have been in a column in broad daylight on a road the allies were moving up on. The Sturmgewehr was a nice touch.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member

The Sherman Firefly had a high-velocity 76 mm gun mounted on an M4 chassis, but they were used by the British and not to my knowledge, by the Americans. Suspension of disbelief, I guess. They had a longer barrel than the standard Sherman which was painted so it looked like a shorter barrel to keep from drawing unwanted attention. The projectile weighed almost 20 pounds. They could defeat even the Tigers, the only Allied tank that could in a one-on-one battle. I didn't see movie, but what I did see was the standard Sherman.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I have no clue:uhm:

Very English expression.

You watch a disturbing film, you go to sleep, bad dreams, need the landing ( the landing is the space at the top of the stairs outside the bedrooms ) light on so that when you awake there is a light outside your bedroom.

Come on, work with me here. :devil:
    ..... Fury was packing a 76mm high velocity cannon as the other Shermans had the standard 75mm shot barrel cannons.

The 3-inch (76.2 mm) calibre British 17-pounder anti-tank gun was the way to go with the Sherman, Firefly to us.

PS.

Too slow again.

PPs.

It was offered to the allies but declined.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,112 Senior Member
    Saw it...liked it...war brings out the "ugly" in a lot of people....this movie showed that. The fight with the Tiger was amazing... Best tank movie since "The Tanks are Coming"... (Not that there hae been many tank movies)

M4 A1s, A2s and A3's all came with the larger (T23 Turret) and the M1 76mm High Velocity gun...and were used extensively by the U.S. Army in Europe....The first standard-production 76 mm gun Sherman was an M4A1, accepted in January 1944
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,112 Senior Member
    Sush..our version of the Firefly was the M-10 Tank Destroyer....Sherman Chassis, open turret mounting a 3" main gun....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    Haven't seen it, but I might.

My stepson is a major in the US Army, and did his first Iraq tour as a tank platoon commander. He won a Bronze Star for an action that, while intense at the time, turned out to be his Abhrams getting blown up by a suicide donkey. A change in ROE allowed them to engage livestock at any time they felt threatened by them. Shelling a mosque that served as a firing position for the BG's, OTOH, stayed verboten.

No kidding.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,123 Senior Member
    I want to see it.

I like the line in the previews, " This is the best job I ever Had".

Actually, it is/was for some of us, tanks or another piece of equipment.

:iwo:
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I guess the different equipment specs are to be expected during the war. I guess the gun had to be different since the short barreled shells were bouncing off the German armor. Unusual attempt at accuracy by Hollywood. I loved it when the two Germans opened the kids hatch and qot to sample the effects of the M3 grease gun. Willy Pete on the SS troops was a classic. Great movie! :popcorn: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    shush wrote: »
    Very English expression.

You watch a disturbing film, you go to sleep, bad dreams, need the landing ( the landing is the space at the top of the stairs outside the bedrooms ) light on so that when you awake there is a light outside your bedroom.

Come on, work with me here. :devil:

Well then, you compressed all of the above into 5 words then, nicely done:tooth: