Cops use armored vehicle in raid

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 6,461 Senior Member
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,009 Senior Member
    They look pretty gangsta!! Good thing they didn't have to call in an air strike!!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Man, that''s a lot of $$$ in fines. These situations never seem to go in favor of the landowner, at first anyhow until after lawsuits and then not all the time.

I smell a Rat in city hall, but he could have used a little of that money and cleaned up the "Eyesore" he agreed to.

Does look like overkill to the max bringing that much force out, but nobody got hurt (just frightened) and these type of situations have been known to turn into a standoff.

I hope he wins his lawsuits, especially if City Hall members had a personal vendetta against him and were not enforcing the same code on everyone or misusing their ordinances.

Well, at least, they didn't knock his pallets over with that armored vehicle. :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    They used to say you can't fight City Hall because you will lose. Well, you can with lawyers if you are willing to invest time and money, but never fight them when you are way outgunned/numbered and surrounded by Deputy Sheriffs. Also with recall petitions like they did in Killeen Tx (Fort Hood) a couple years ago, almost all the council members were recalled and fired/resigned.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,794 Senior Member
    Reminds me of sitting in the jury on a civil case back in the 80's. Lots of towns were passing ordinances having to do with having a fence high enough around auto junk yards to obscure viewing them from the road. Well, the state decided to widen/upgrade a road next to one, and put in fill material that raised the roadbed about 30 feet above the original roadbed. The city went after the auto junkyard for being in noncompliance with the ordinance because you now had a birds eye view of the auto junkyard. The city contended that the owner had to raise the walls around the junkyard to 50 feet high on three sides to obscure view of the junkyard.

At this point, I should also include that the owner of the junkyard was a man of some substance in the community, and a vocal adversary of the city government on lots of issues.

We found him 'Not Guilty'. Reasoning in the jury room was that he was in compliance until the city/state put him out of compliance. Something didn't pass the smell test about changing the conditions and then going after him.

A 'bug' got put in the defense lawyer's ear about the city being the driving force in raising the roadbed 30 feet. Guess who got sued later. :roll2: :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    Sounds like it's time for a recall election in that little town.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    Sounds like it's time for a recall election in that little town.
    Jerry

Also, while I lived there, the mayor of Killeen was fired/ asked to retire and he got over $700,000 in retirement benefits and payouts. What a deal, Golden Parachute.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Reminds me of sitting in the jury on a civil case back in the 80's. Lots of towns were passing ordinances having to do with having a fence high enough around auto junk yards to obscure viewing them from the road. Well, the state decided to widen/upgrade a road next to one, and put in fill material that raised the roadbed about 30 feet above the original roadbed. The city went after the auto junkyard for being in noncompliance with the ordinance because you now had a birds eye view of the auto junkyard. The city contended that the owner had to raise the walls around the junkyard to 50 feet high on three sides to obscure view of the junkyard.

At this point, I should also include that the owner of the junkyard was a man of some substance in the community, and a vocal adversary of the city government on lots of issues.

We found him 'Not Guilty'. Reasoning in the jury room was that he was in compliance until the city/state put him out of compliance. Something didn't pass the smell test about changing the conditions and then going after him.

A 'bug' got put in the defense lawyer's ear about the city being the driving force in raising the roadbed 30 feet. Guess who got sued later. :roll2: :tooth:
    I suspect if the junkyard owner had complied by somehow erecting a 50 foot high fence he would have been rewarded with a citation and heavy fine for violation of a city ordinance prohibiting fences exceeding 20 feet high.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,580 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    I suspect if the junkyard owner had complied by somehow erecting a 50 foot high fence he would have been rewarded with a citation and heavy fine for violation of a city ordinance prohibiting fences exceeding 20 feet high.

He would be fined for violating fire codes for certain.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand