Nice start to the Nevada duck season

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 7,410 Senior Member
While Nevada isn't exactly the Mecca of duck hunting, it does offer a nice variety of ducks that I never saw regularly in Nebraska. Most everything was diving ducks wit ha few green wing teal and wigeon mixed in. Very few puddle ducks. Today started off nicely considering this state just doesn't have the volume of ducks that I'm used to seeing. The first duck of the day was one I've been dying to shoot forever: a drake canvasback (middle below).

Ducks%20-%20Canvasback%20and%20redheads%2C%20Key-Pittman%20-%2015%20Oct%202011.jpg

I was stoked. That duck had been on my dream sheet forever and today was the first time I had ever even seen one, let alone kill one. We simply don't see them in eastern Nebraska.

All in all, it was great. Nobody limited out, but I shot 4 and among the three of us, we got the pull below among us.

Ducks%20on%20truck%2C%20Key-Pittman%20-%2015%20Oct%202011.jpg
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,032 Senior Member
    Always neat to add to the # of duck varieties one shoots, one of my biology teachers in H.S. had a wing of all of the duck varieties he had shot on the wall of the classrooom and we had to memorize all of them, it was cool when I shot one and recognized it.

BTW, what is the brand of tires on the Ford with the ducks on the tailgate, if you know.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,410 Senior Member
    Chiro -

It is very cool to keep a running tab on the different duck species you take in the field. Every time I shoot a bird I never have is like Christmas. I saw canvasbacks as the "impossible" bird while out in Nebraska because we just never got eyes on them. It figures that we saw about 500 of them today and it ends up being the first duck I shoot.

Oh, the guy who owns that truck in the pic says it has Nitto Mudgrabbers on it.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Excellent!

That is something I've never done any serious hunting for. Growing up, ducks were something we snuck up to little ponds and jump shot as targets of opportunity. I've only shot, at most, a dozen and probably less in my life. All mallards.

We swam the pond to retrieve them. Fun times as a boy.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    whichseason.jpg

Good shooting.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,692 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »

And the memory sticks for a long long time, doesn't it???:yikes:

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,213 Senior Member
    Nice!...Cans & Redheads are my two absolute favorite ducks...beautiful birds and excellent table fare...(roasted with sausage & apple stuffing)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Excellent!

That is something I've never done any serious hunting for. Growing up, ducks were something we snuck up to little ponds and jump shot as targets of opportunity. I've only shot, at most, a dozen and probably less in my life. All mallards.

That's a nice reflection on life. Things are so simple when we're young. By the way, did you grow up in Texas all of your life? I hear that jump shooting is a the way to do it for duck hunters down there. I've only done it a handful of times as most of the ducks I've shot were taken over decoys, with exactly one canoe hunt mixed in for good measure.

I've got an update on day 2:

We hit up the same lake for another round of morning ducks. This time, we beat the competition to the best spot on the lake an it paid off. We hunted from opening light (6:18AM) to 9:30AM and got 13 birds between the 4 of us. Today was almost all green wing teal with one wigeon and a gadwall also taken. Again, the quantity of ducks just isn't ever going to be as good as it is in the Central flyway/Midwest, but I can't complain considering how bad I honestly thought things would be down here.

Ducks%20-%20Key-Pittman%2C%20Day%202%20-%2016%20Oct%2011.jpg

As a small aside, I should mention that I actually was pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of Winchester Blind Side. After checking out the carcasses from the birds I hit today, there's no doubt that shot does some nasty things when it hits the birds. You can see some very obviously "square" shaped holes in the breasts. At the same time, it actually offered a very nice pattern out of my gun and can be constricted the same as standard lead shot (i.e. modified choke = modified pattern). The question is, does it really matter as far as the trauma goes? I've killed many birds with standard steel shot and, to hearken the spirit of another thread, the ducks just don't seem any "more deader" when I center them up properly with Blind Side shot vs. steel. If anything, it hits pretty hard (1400 fps.) and if it patterns well, I'd say considered it as good as any other premium shotgun ammo. To mean that means, if it patterns well and you don't mind the much higher price, go for it.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Nice mess, "cans" are usually great eating.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Hell no! I'm not from Texas. I was banished here for reasons I've long forgotten.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    Hell no! I'm not from Texas. I was banished here for reasons I've long forgotten.

Hey, Texas ain' that bad. At least you can hunt big game without having to go through years of applications for one freaking deer.
    NN wrote: »
    Nice mess, "cans" are usually great eating.

I'll have find out next timeI shoot one - this one's getting mounted. :)