Home Main Category Hunting

First Pig of Fall.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 26,018 Senior Member
Went pig hunting last night. It was supposed to have finally cleared up from all the rain we've been having and the kids were going to go with me. Yeah.............scratch that idea. It was raining and the kids bailed on me. But, I'd already been given permission to hunt.......and I wasn't going to waste it.

Got to the ranch before dark and it's still just steadily raining. Not a downpour, but a heavy drizzle. Sat and visited with the rancher and his wife for about 45 minutes until dark and then get my things and load them in his little Ranger ATV. Well, at least it had a roof.............kinda sorta. Or flashing attached to the roll bar with bailing wire. Which didn't help when moving.

Anyway, heading to my predetermined spot with the lights out and a slow put in order to A. Get less wet and B. Make less noise.

I rounded the last corner and see a big black form coming towards me down the road about 100 yards out. Hit the brakes and shut the engine off!!!! What the?!? Through the NODs and drizzle, I see a big hog trotting down the road towards me. I retrieve my rifle from the case (trying to keep it as dry as possible) and place it on the roll bar across the dash. At about 50 yards, the boar stops and looks in my direction. I was wanting him to turn broadside as I didn't want a frontal shot. He turns ever so slightly and veers off the road into the field. Angling off at a trot and presenting me a little bit of shoulder, I fire when he's at about 35 yards. "Pppppffffftttt!!" (queevilgrin) "Pop!!!" I lose my sight picture through the scope in recoil and as I'm reacquiring, all I hear is flopping thuds on the ground. I find him again in the scope just in time to see him finishing his death throes on the ground. He'd dropped on impact.

Well, that was fast! I walk over to him........and.....wow! He's pretty good size. That's gonna be fun to load in the Ranger.

Walking back to the Ranger, I plan to continue on to my original spot and come back for him later. I drive a couple hundred more yards down the road to the corner of the field where several trails intersect and............HOLY CRAP! I see about 20 something hogs of all sizes trotting across the field corner towards the far side. I stop and grab my rifle, acquire the band just as they reach the brush, brief pause.......and they disappear. I didn't want to rush a shot, so I pass. Sit there about 20 minutes getting soaked and decide to screw this, get my hog, and go home.

11-7-14Hog3_zpsb249e82e.jpg

I estimate him at around 225-250lbs and he was a buggar to load in the rain. I couldn't have done it without killing myself in the mud were it not for the loop I carry and hook around their snout (see in below pic). It allowed me to position myself in the back of the Ranger and "dead lift" the hog into the back. Better than trying to lift him in from the ground.

Shot him with my .308 Winchester (Short) and a 125gr Hornady SST.

125grSSTTestLoad.jpg

308Shortcompleted31.jpg

Impact Distance: +/- 35 yards
Impact Velocity: +/- 2,700 fps

The hog dropped on impact as the bullet centered the shoulder. Missing the leg bone, the bullet broke two ribs penetrating the thoracic cavity sending bone fragments through out. Nicking the heart, it penetrated the left lung and continued rearward through the diaphragm. Centering the liver, it traveled downward to the rear of the sternum and front of the "pork belly". Stopping in the muscle before reaching the hide.

Entrance:
DSCN0081_zps9e166cec.jpg
Entrance Under Hide:
DSCN0084_zpse736d597.jpg

DSCN0085_zps46977d4c.jpg

Entrance Under Shoulder:
DSCN0088_zps6cdef95e.jpg

The bullet broke two ribs entering the chest cavity.

Entrance Under Ribs:
DSCN0092_zps8806ea66.jpg

Blood Removed:
DSCN0094_zps78282d41.jpg

Path Through Top of Heart / Left Lung (notice secondary damage and cuts from bone fragments / severe bruising from temporary cavity):
DSCN0097_zps0b97a757.jpg

Path Through Lungh (Entrance on Left):
DSCN0098_zps56341e4a.jpg

Off Side Lung:
DSCN0099_zps7967c20d.jpg

Entrance Through Diaphragm:
DSCN0103_zpsca2fe699.jpg

Entrance Through Liver:
DSCN0104_zpsdd435015.jpg

Exit From Liver:
DSCN0105_zpsb32c1289.jpg

Entrance to Lower Sternum:
DSCN0106_zps1500b59f.jpg

Bullet Resting Place:
DSCN0107_zpsb42690c5.jpg

DSCN0109_zps5e978f3e.jpg

DSCN0114_zps6ea83955.jpg

DSCN0115_zpsed016628.jpg

DSCN0116_zps2a8345c8.jpg

Recovered Bullet:
DSCN0124_zps83b53c11.jpg

DSCN0126_zpsd00f6726.jpg

DSCN0133_zps393e7bb1.jpg

DSCN0128_zps5e92f594.jpg

The bullet performed perfectly without separating while coming to rest in a perfect "mushroom". It penetrated adequately for the impact velocity and caused substantial secondary damage through bone fragments and temporary cavity expansion. I am exceptionally pleased with the results!
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    sausages!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,673 Senior Member
    I love BDA's. Real world performance, no hype or BS.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,018 Senior Member
    I love BDA's. Real world performance, no hype or BS.

What's a BDA? You lost me.
    cpj wrote: »
    Ugh, that cannelure.

Yep. That's what feels me from being an SST fan. This is the only one I keep on hand for this rifle and my .30-30 AI.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

The British Dental Association (BDA) is the professional association and trade union for dentists in the United Kingdom and was founded in 1880.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,203 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ugh, that cannelure.
    Note where his bullet stopped expanding-- right at the cannula. It is there for more than just a spot to crimp.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Awesome shooting in nasty weather, great looking porker! Congrats on a successful hunt!
    Maybe next time it will be nice enough for the youngins to join you.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,989 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Awesome shooting in nasty weather, great looking porker! Congrats on a successful hunt!
    Maybe next time it will be nice enough for the youngins to join you.

:that:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • NJSOGNJSOG Member Posts: 101 Member
    Bacon and Ham's 👍. Congratulations nice shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,682 Senior Member
    Nice pig, and great hustle on the shot
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,792 Senior Member

Bomb Damage Assessment. Military-speak for data collected by either recon teams or planes inspecting an area after the airstrike.

Serious question for you Zed. Having a bit of professional interest in what bullets do, I've always loved your post-mortems. Having now dressed out my second deer with no assistance other than leg-holding, I have to wonder How do you keep your camera or phone from becoming a blood-soaked goo-ball?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Right hand holds the knife and left hand grabs/moves/digs on the animal. That way, the left hand gets bloody and the right stays mostly clean to use the camera. If, on occasion, the right hand gets a little dirty.............wipe it on my pants or shirt.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,915 Senior Member
    Good start for the year.
    Good shot as well!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Bomb Damage Assessment. Military-speak for data collected by either recon teams or planes inspecting an area after the airstrike.

Serious question for you Zed. Having a bit of professional interest in what bullets do, I've always loved your post-mortems. Having now dressed out my second deer with no assistance other than leg-holding, I have to wonder How do you keep your camera or phone from becoming a blood-soaked goo-ball?

Latex gloves from Harbor Freight are nice, too, if you're secure enough to let your pals call you a p---y. :tooth:

I use them for everything when I have them handy, after several decades of doing everything the 'manly' way. You don't have to peel them off every time you need clean hands, either. Just rinse and shake and keep going. Mainly, I don't have to scrape the blood from under my fingernails, after using them to rip the breasts out of a hundred or so doves. (Being one of the youngsters, I catch a lot of the bird cleaning duties)
    Thanks guys, for the kind words.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,539 Senior Member
    Right hand holds the knife and left hand grabs/moves/digs on the animal. That way, the left hand gets bloody and the right stays mostly clean to use the camera. If, on occasion, the right hand gets a little dirty.............wipe it on my pants or shirt.

You can gut ONE HANDED!:applause:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    You can gut ONE HANDED!:applause:

Well technically, I use two hands. Just that one grabs and one cuts.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,270 Senior Member
    Excellent shooting Zee. I like the thoroughness of your post-mortem. Interesting to see how much weight the projectile shed on its journey.

Well technically, I use two hands. Just that one grabs and one cuts.

I use much the same method...........except I normally carry some disposable vinyl gloves. Most of the places I hunt don't have standing water within easy distance and although sand will scrub most of the crap off, I don't like handling rifles with gritty crap on my digits.........

The other thing I do is make the cut to open up the stomach while the animal is on the ground..............then I normally tie a rope around its head, throw the other end of the rope over a branch/tree/post or what ever is handy and lift the front of the animal up. It means that when I 'draw' the stomach contents out, gravity helps to guide them in the right direction.

Oh, and I always have a couple of small cable ties in my pack/pocket. I cut around the 'ring piece' first, then pull it out far enough to zip a cable tie around it. It then gets tucked back into where it came from and when I pull the guts/intestines out through the stomach, it comes out through the stomach and it stops any residual 'deer/pig crap' falling into the gut cavity.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....