Home Main Category Hunting

Put My Wife 0n the Score List Too

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
Yep, yesterday when she got home and found out I'd bagged a doe, she just couldn't stand it. She had to go get a deer. So this afternoon when she got off her second job we took off for the lease. On the way in we saw a doe by the fence So I stopped the car to see if she could get out and lay her gun on the fence without scaring it. Well she did that ok, but made a clean miss out of a 30 yard shot with her 243. That discouraged her because she missed a shooter buck day before yesterday. Then when we got to the blind we hadn't been there 15 minutes and out comes a doe and a 4 pointer. She had plenty of time and got lined up on the doe and squeezed the shot of. But the doe took off for Kansas or somewhere, without even the slightest hint of being hit. Now I started to wonder. That was three deer she's missed in the last three days and only one of them was even close to a 100 yards distance. She was pissed at herself so I said why don't you try my 06? So we traded guns and within 20 minutes she had two doe on the ground. Now I gotta figure out the problem with the .243. We need to go to the range tomorrow for sure. I either figure out the problem and fix it or lose my 06 for the rest of the season.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    Snake get that ladies rifle lined up before she thinks she is doing something wrong.

Congratulations Mrs. Snake. :cool2:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Snake get that ladies rifle lined up before she thinks she is doing something wrong.

Congratulations Mrs. Snake. :cool2:

I'm working on it Diver. I had a 6mm, which is its ballistics twin in factory form and the only time I had trouble with it not killing well was when I used Speer Hot Core 100 grains. They would pass through with little expansion. But I never experienced a failure with Sierra Game Kings. I also have some loaded with those 100 grain Russian Bullets Teach sent me and I'll give them a try too. It is my experience that the .243-6mm needs a more frangible bullet for use on Deer size game. Maybe if you're hunting Elk with one the less frangible bullets will do well. Anyway, I killed deer out to near 400 yards DRT with the 6mm with both Sierra Game King and Pro Hunter bullets. I think I'll give those a try for hunting, if I can find some 100-105 grain Game Kings.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. Pics of Fe skinning the two deer to follow. This woman still amazes me after 14 years with her.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    Maybe the scope got bumped or is loose
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member

It happens, last week a hunting buddy and I went to the range, he sighted his -06 1" H @ 100yd, nice 1" 3 shot group, 4th 4" high, 5 th off paper, 6th scope fell off. Got back to my place re-installed mounts (loose) Weaver rings (came off) & scope, bore sighted, going to the range tomorrow.

Fix it for her.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

That's always a possibility so we'll take the day off hunting and go to the range today and shoot it. I have some others that could use a workout as well. Thanks Bro
    Here's a few pics of Fe and her deer:

IMG_0787_zpse9dbb449.jpg

IMG_0785_zpsfdef4781.jpg

IMG_0788_zps026be7d0.jpg

IMG_0783_zps0433b447.jpg

IMG_0786_zpsf2e86f94.jpg
    snake284 wrote: »
    Here's a few pics of Fe and her deer:

IMG_0787_zpse9dbb449.jpg

IMG_0785_zpsfdef4781.jpg

IMG_0788_zps026be7d0.jpg

IMG_0783_zps0433b447.jpg

IMG_0786_zpsf2e86f94.jpg

It's hard to believe something as cute as her could do such a thing to a deer,

And barefooted at that!

:roll2:
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Awesome for her!!!!! Congrats!!!!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    It's hard to believe something as cute as her could do such a thing to a deer,

And barefooted at that!

:roll2:

Great job on the Mrs.' part! The problems with her gun definitely sound like a scope or scope mount issue. Get that thing on paper and see what's what because she clearly knows how to kill deer just fine. Send my congrats.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    jaywapti wrote: »
    It happens, last week a hunting buddy and I went to the range, he sighted his -06 1" H @ 100yd, nice 1" 3 shot group, 4th 4" high, 5 th off paper, 6th scope fell off. Got back to my place re-installed mounts (loose) Weaver rings (came off) & scope, bore sighted, going to the range tomorrow.

Fix it for her.

JAY

You know something Jay, It's amazing how that happens. I had a scope on my 6mm for two years, won informal matches with it, killed at least three deer with it in that time period and one day at the range it's off the paper. I look at it and the bases are LOOSE!!! After that I started lock tighting them, but you'd think as tight as they were they would have never loosened up.

But also, I've had scopes, good scopes get knocked off with what you'd think was nothing, but it knocked it off the paper. I just need to be sure I take every rifle I'm going to be hunting with to the range regularly and before season. This one hadn't been shot in 6 months. Even though as far as I know it has never been jarred, it happens, and Murphy doesn't care what you're shooting at, paper or animal, when he decides to play his mayhem he can really screw your day up.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Great job on the Mrs.' part! The problems with her gun definitely sound like a scope or scope mount issue. Get that thing on paper and see what's what because she clearly knows how to kill deer just fine. Send my congrats.

You're exactly correct Six, this woman is very capable, and she proved it when she changed rifles.We'll get on it this afternoon. And I'll do better than send your congrats, I'll let her read this thread.
    Grizz1219 wrote: »
    Awesome for her!!!!! Congrats!!!!

Thanks Grizz. It's an experience watching her work on an a animal. She grew up in the Philippines doing this. They do pigs and chickens nearly daily. She was raised in a farming Barangay. They worked the rice fields and Sugercane and lived off the land. Her dad was a contractor and she can tie Rebar with the best of men. She's 5'1" and about 120 Pounds, but don't let her size fool you. I think about 95% of that is Muscle, and Brains of course. She's stronger than most men and can hold her own in a skirmish. Don't ask me how I know that, HEHEHE! Oh not with me fighting with her, I have more sense than that. A man's gotta sleep some time ya know....

:silly:................:roll2:................:tooth:
    Oh and BTW, I bought her the .243 because I didn't want her to get recoil sensative. But if you'd seen her shooting the 06 yesterday you would know as I do now that that was needless. I could have bought her a 300 Mag. and she could shoot it just fine. She doesn't scare or intimidate very easily.

:jester:
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Your wife is not a 10. She is a 100. Congratulations to her for bagging that deer. :applause: And congratulations to you for finding the perfect woman. :applause: I genuflect in your general direction. :worthy:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Ya got a great lady, BTW does she hunt barefoot ?

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    Good for her!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Ya got a great lady, BTW does she hunt barefoot ?

JAY

Ahh naw and she doesn't wear a loin cloth with Coconut shell bra either, :rotflmao:

But she has been known to climb a few coconut trees. She's a Real Jungle Woman for sure, but she usually dresses westernish, :jester:
    Your wife is not a 10. She is a 100. Congratulations to her for bagging that deer. :applause: And congratulations to you for finding the perfect woman. :applause: I genuflect in your general direction. :worthy:

Yeah a real jungle woman for sure, and she LOVES to hunt, fish, and play golf, and amazingly she's good a all three.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member

Ahem... Let here have the -06, and then YOU need to go get yourself a replacement rifle.

Jeez- you guys forgot how to enable!

Great job on the deer!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Ahem... Let here have the -06, and then YOU need to go get yourself a replacement rifle.

Great job on the deer!

Good point. (Great job on the deer by your wife Snake!)
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Good point. (Great job on the deer by your wife Snake!)

Thanks both of you. As for a replacement rifle, I have a couple already, but I really believe the .243 will do the job. I'm really thinking the scope was bumped. We were going to the range today but she had some stuff to do, so tomorrow she has a meeting at the Jail so she won 't work at her second job(she is on her week off at her real job). If she gets out before noon we'll go out to the range and shoot the .243 and make sure it's on. If it is then we'll know the problem and we'll get it set right. Then maybe we'll take it hunting. If not, I have two quarter bores we both have confidence in. But she loves her rifle and killed a pig with it last year, so hopefully we'll get it straightened out. Two things I want to do with that rifle, a new stock and a good trigger.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member

Great job on the deer!

Good point. Ya hear that, snake? Ya need a new gun!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Good point. Ya hear that, snake? Ya need a new gun!

Oh hell, here come the enablers!!! As if I needed an excuse, :tooth::tooth::tooth:
  • will-jwill-j Member Posts: 50 Member
    Snake, Everyone to their own but if you haven't tried Hornady' 87gr. BTHP already, You might find them to your liking in a lightweight .243 option. I've used them for almost 25yrs. now and not lost any deer; (23)as of last year, and have yet to recover a bullet. Massive damage. Longest steps =9 from POI. Most fell when hit. My load is 38/IMR 4895, R-P brass and primers. All three .243s love 'em. [2- 700s, and Win. 70 Youth Ranger (daughter's) ]. Just offerin'
    :confused:
    [email protected]; I need my meds.
    THE WINDS OF TYRANNY ARE BLOWING FROM OUR OWN CAPITOL.
    will-j wrote: »
    Snake, Everyone to their own but if you haven't tried Hornady' 87gr. BTHP already, You might find them to your liking in a lightweight .243 option. I've used them for almost 25yrs. now and not lost any deer; (23)as of last year, and have yet to recover a bullet. Massive damage. Longest steps =9 from POI. Most fell when hit. My load is 38/IMR 4895, R-P brass and primers. All three .243s love 'em. [2- 700s, and Win. 70 Youth Ranger (daughter's) ]. Just offerin'

Thanks Will-J I'll give em a try. The 100 grain Sierra have never let me down. Like I said, the frangible bullets such as boat tails work better in the .243-6mm, in my opinion.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    Oh hell, here come the enablers!!! As if I needed an excuse, :tooth::tooth::tooth:

My wife wants to go hunt with me next weekend. I'm going to have her shoot my CZ-527 Carbine in 7.62x39. If she wants to keep using it- it will be my excuse to get another rifle!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    You Tarzan she Jane!! I think you should just carry her rifles and let her do the hunting!!

All kidding aside, she's awesome!! The killing part is easy, it's all the rest of the stuff that's take the most skill!!
    My wife wants to go hunt with me next weekend. I'm going to have her shoot my CZ-527 Carbine in 7.62x39. If she wants to keep using it- it will be my excuse to get another rifle!

:tooth:

I hear ya, but right now I've got other irons in the fire. I have too many guns now (At risk of sounding like Wambli) and I really need another safe before I expand things. I do have those two pending builds also on the horizon when I get more safe space. The donors don't take up much room, but add a scope and they won't fit. So those two are not in the picture yet.

For right now what I'm thinking is let her shoot the 30-06 forhan the rest of the season and I will break out the .270 and .280 and alternate their use. I have faith in both and I know they will kill and kill at long range regularly, or at least long range for me. If I would have known how well she handles Recoil that .243 would have been a .308 Win.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    You lucky snake ! (Dog). Lol.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    You lucky snake ! (Dog). Lol.....

Yeah especially around cleaning time. She makes skinning, gutting, and quartering look so easy, I don't even get tired watching,

:roll2:...............................:roll2:................................:roll2: