Home Main Category Personal Defense

Nasty looking bullet

BufordBuford Senior MemberPosts: 6,721 Senior Member
Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
«1

Replies

  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I missed the original thread on this, as I was pretty ill in January, but I've got a couple of problems with this ammo...

    1- The name "RIP" and the advertising is a first rate invitation to any lawyers who might want to file a wrongful death suit against anyone who used this ammo. Waaay too much negative publicity.

    2- The spiky nose on the ammo might make it balky to feed in a compact pistol that has a fairly steep feed ramp. The main reason I've switched 100% in my SD ammo to the CorBon PowrBall is that it's got a nice smooth round nose. That gimmicky sort of toothed design on those bullets might not feed reliably.

    I'll pass, thank you.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    $44.00 for twenty rounds + shipping.......Not inexpensive and probably already banned in Kommifornia.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    I want a few to set on my desk.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,595 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    1- The name "RIP" and the advertising is a first rate invitation to any lawyers who might want to file a wrongful death suit against anyone who used this ammo. Waaay too much negative publicity.
    We *REALLY* need to do something about the bass-ackwards liability laws (and the lawyers) in this country. If you're someplace you're not supposed to be and/or doing something you're not supposed to be doing; you automatically assume ALL liability for being there or doing that. All bets off. That's how it *should* be, criminals should be automatically disbarred from suits against their victims under ANY circumstances.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    We *REALLY* need to do something about the bass-ackwards liability laws (and the lawyers) in this country. If you're someplace you're not supposed to be and/or doing something you're not supposed to be doing; you automatically assume ALL liability for being there or doing that. All bets off. That's how it *should* be, criminals should be automatically disbarred from suits against their victims under ANY circumstances.

    One can always dream. The liability law suits in this country are out right insane.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    We *REALLY* need to do something about the bass-ackwards liability laws (and the lawyers) in this country. If you're someplace you're not supposed to be and/or doing something you're not supposed to be doing; you automatically assume ALL liability for being there or doing that. All bets off. That's how it *should* be, criminals should be automatically disbarred from suits against their victims under ANY circumstances.

    Part of the general "castle laws" usually includes this: if a person shoots in self defense and is cleared by the grand jury or whatever, and it's determined to be a "good shoot" and no criminal liability, then that person is immune, by law, from any civil lawsuit. We've got that law in Texas, it's the same in Florida, and in other states. A big sigh of relief, should the worst case ever arise.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,331 Senior Member
    I've seen these in .45 and 9mm. They're made close to where I live. The .45 is so hollowed out, it's lightweight. I didn't weigh it, but I'd be surprised if the bullet went 100 grains.

    Not for me. I wish good luck to my homeboys, however, and hope they sell a lot of them.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,595 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Part of the general "castle laws" usually includes this: if a person shoots in self defense and is cleared by the grand jury or whatever, and it's determined to be a "good shoot" and no criminal liability, then that person is immune, by law, from any civil lawsuit. We've got that law in Texas, it's the same in Florida, and in other states. A big sigh of relief, should the worst case ever arise.

    The problem with this is that its one narrow case - good in its own right, but doesn't cover anything else. What happens if someone trips on a hose in your yard (assuming they weren't invited to your property)? They shouldn't have been there, and shouldn't have any recourse whatsoever.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Critical Duty by Hornady is good enough for me. If the bullet breaks up though a water ballon sounds like lot of collateral damage is possible.:nono: Later,
    Fat Billy

    Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    If it's over fifty cents a round, I couldn't care less what it does, or how well it does it. Hopefully, if it's really that good, Wolf or TulAmmo or the Bears will copy it at a reasonable price.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    Last time we discussed this, someone posted a video of someone's "test" where they got nearly identical terminal performance from 2-22LR quickshoks and 1-solid IIRC.

    My primary care Doc is a big fan of them, we've discussed them in depth, he hasn't been able to convince me of their superiority either :nono:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,331 Senior Member
    They used to yell "Liability" about Glaser Safety Slugs. Yet I can't remember a single case where these concerns came true. The inventor committed suicide, and may or may not have been the single fatality of these.

    The chances of even using these bullets in a SD situation are very, very slim in reality. I guess the manufacturers figured it was better to take a chance on liability for a (semi) cool name. As for using them, the liability remains the same; if you're going to use them or any bullet, be prepared for what follows, if anything. A bad bullet doesn't negate a clean shoot.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    P.T Barnum would be proud!
    :roll:
    Jerry
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    The problem with this is that its one narrow case - good in its own right, but doesn't cover anything else. What happens if someone trips on a hose in your yard (assuming they weren't invited to your property)? They shouldn't have been there, and shouldn't have any recourse whatsoever.

    Well, narrow case is the subject of the SD forum, after all. But... yeah, there are liability issues for any homeowner (or renter for that matter) and it's unfortunately why we need either homeowner's or renter's liability insurance. You can bet that I've got it.

    I do understand your point -- best maybe suited for the general discussion in the Clubhouse section -- but yeah, unwarranted civil suits have pushed liability rates skyhigh and clog the courts from legit cases, and also, legit cases often are swept away by a civil jury that is sensitive to stories of misuse of the law.

    It's a part of life, having to keep liability insurance on our property or our vehicles, sad that it's abused. In Cali where you live, I can imagine the excesses. Wow.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Had some Glazers once. Came in pack of 6 for a wheel gun. Never shot or carried 'em. I think I gave them away. :zzzz: Later,
    Fat Billy

    Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Critical Duty by Hornady is good enough for me. If the bullet breaks up though a water ballon sounds like lot of collateral damage is possible. Later,

    I thought about that too ---- shards and fragments going everywhere. Not the best idea, especially in close quarters.

    I'll stick with conventional hollow points, thank you. (even if my PowrBalls have a plastic nose, they're just good quality HPs inside)
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    They used to yell "Liability" about Glaser Safety Slugs. Yet I can't remember a single case where these concerns came true. The inventor committed suicide, and may or may not have been the single fatality of these.

    The chances of even using these bullets in a SD situation are very, very slim in reality. I guess the manufacturers figured it was better to take a chance on liability for a (semi) cool name. As for using them, the liability remains the same; if you're going to use them or any bullet, be prepared for what follows, if anything. A bad bullet doesn't negate a clean shoot.

    Well, I don't think the manufacturer would be found liable regardless. I'm thinking about the person who uses them, and then some civil attorney drags out this video and the name "RIP" and persuades the jury to find for lotsa bucks.

    Far as I seem to remember, there have been lots more than 1 fatality from the Glaser. I seem to remember some chart a few years back. I could be wrong on that, often am.

    Basic problem with pre-fragmented ammo is, I think, its sometimes failure to penetrate heavy clothing, right? But aside from that, it's pretty effective. I dunno.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,619 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Had some Glazers once.
    Were those from Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Doughnuts?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    The S is near the Z. Dunkin Donuts please. "imoit: Later,
    Fat Billy

    Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,753 Senior Member
    Stickin' with these, thanks. The one on the right has been fired and demonstrates EXACTLY as much mushrooming, deformation and fragmentation as I want:

    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Stickin' with these, thanks. The one on the right has been fired and demonstrates EXACTLY as much mushrooming, deformation and fragmentation as I want:


    That looks like it's out of a 200gr Lee mold.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,753 Senior Member
    Nope. 230gr. LBT. After punching through seven milk jugs and stopping in the eighth.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,188 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Nope. 230gr. LBT.
    Wow. That is a big slug.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 2,350 Senior Member
    RIP is not something I will ever consider carrying. It's aimed at keyboard Kommandos, much like fishing lures are meant to catch fishermen more than fish.

    While the CNC machining of a bullet is interesting....the design is meh. The penetration seems marginal and in the link below...a double tap by a 22lr did much the same damage. Not many of us here would consider carrying a 22lr for defense unless it happens to be a minigun.

    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/02/03/review-g2r-r-i-p-ammo-youtube-interesting-results/

    Though when and if the 12 gauge slug comes out, I'd like to see that reviewed.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    That ammo is just for scraping lead out of barrels.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Last time we discussed this, someone posted a video of someone's "test" where they got nearly identical terminal performance from 2-22LR quickshoks and 1-solid IIRC.
    Tugar wrote: »
    That's the one
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I missed the original thread on this, as I was pretty ill in January, but I've got a couple of problems with this ammo...

    1- The name "RIP" and the advertising is a first rate invitation to any lawyers who might want to file a wrongful death suit against anyone who used this ammo. Waaay too much negative publicity.

    2- The spiky nose on the ammo might make it balky to feed in a compact pistol that has a fairly steep feed ramp. The main reason I've switched 100% in my SD ammo to the CorBon PowrBall is that it's got a nice smooth round nose. That gimmicky sort of toothed design on those bullets might not feed reliably.

    I'll pass, thank you.

    Is it, really? Just about any hollow-point ammo will advertise "wound-channeling" and "expansion in targets", etc. That's all technical jargon for mortal wounds. If a good attorney can't knock down any prosecutorial argument for using it, then you need a refund.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Is it, really? Just about any hollow-point ammo will advertise "wound-channeling" and "expansion in targets", etc. That's all technical jargon for mortal wounds. If a good attorney can't knock down any prosecutorial argument for using it, then you need a refund.

    Well, generally I agree. But the video and the name RIP is just way over the top.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    All I want is 2. Anyone?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement