Home Main Category General Firearms

Range day with Alpha & Bloodhound....the first SW shoot......

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,048 Senior Member
........Well, you cant get any more South West than we were.......

Headed up to the range with Alpha and Bloodhound to play with a few rifles.
I took my suppressed Sako 222, Tikka Super varmint in 22-250, Suppressed Norinco JW15 .22, The pre 64 mod 70 in 373H&H................and the 1908 Mauser Model 'B' Sporter in 10.75X68. Bloodhound brought along his 1941 SMLE, his BRNO ( CZ) .22 and his suppressed Ruger 10/22.

We started off plinking with the .22's at BH's home made resettable targets and then moved on to steel gongs ( shooting from the hut). After burning through a couple of hundred rimfires we headed down to the range and got set up.

First up was Alpha with the 375H&H........

SW%20shoot%20kiwi%20style%20009_zpszagp9h2g.mp4

( Damn photobucket wouldn't load the video at first )

Notice the stuffing from the suppressor which came flying back and his reaction......or lack of it.

He shot the following 3 shot group at 50yds...........Its the one closest to the centre of the target and measures approx. .667. The bottom three shot group was shot by Bloodhound.

SWshootkiwistyle017_zpsee2b9d1f.jpg

Alpha then had a play with the suppressed 222 and despite the windy conditions managed to shoot a group measuring just on 1" at 100m.

The wind was getting stronger when he sent 3 22-250 projectiles downrange.........the first 2 were overlapping but with gusts up to 20knots at times the third 'blew' a .5" group out to about 1.3". When he shot at the 200m target with the 22-250 the third shot wasn't even on paper due to the wind.

Only thing for it was to bring out something with more 'heft' to it ...................so the Mauser was let off the leash.

First up is Alpha...........This pic is for cpj........

SWshootkiwistyle030_zps59ecaeee.jpg

Here is the vid of Alpha

SW%20shoot%20kiwi%20style%20032_zpsusxpmigy.mp4

And Bloodhound cracked me up with his first shot..............

SW%20shoot%20kiwi%20style%20034_zpshtyfbxmh.mp4

In Bloodhounds defence, the double set trigger on the Mauser, once set, will fire if you breathe on it and can catch you out.

(We were shooting at a steel plate on the 50m mark. It will be used next year at the TAKH day to show what various calibres will do to a 1/4 " of steel.........so far we have holes made with the following calibres....204, 222, 22-250, 303 brit, 375H&H and the 10.75X68)

We headed back to the hut for some refreshments and some more plinking...............actually a lot of plinking..........

SWshootkiwistyle046_zps38182941.jpg

Now I have to give you some background about the 2 rifles in the next pic before I go any further.
On the top is my suppressed Norinco JW15 which is a $300 Chinese copy of the rifle below it which is a BRNO (CZ)........which is worth more than 3 times as much.

SWshootkiwistyle001_zpsa02a0102.jpg

Apart from the wood they are identical............the magazines are even interchangeable. The Norinco is very 'Industrial' in its finish as far as the metal is concerned and is like a tractor when compared to the BRNO...........which is more like a sportscar.

Bloodhound always gives me crap about the cheap Chinese rifle with the cheap 'Gold Crown' scope and every time we have them out together the insults fly freely. ( He has a high quality German scope on the BRNO btw)

Last week when we were up at the range we decided to have a shootoff......

We each fired a five shot group out of the BRNO then we both fired a second 5 shot group out of the cheap Chinese crap............
Here is last weeks target.

brnovnorinco004_zps79f4f143.jpg

The groups on the left are from a $1200 rifle with German optics.............and the ones on the right are from the cheap Chinese 'crap'....( Yeah, I know that you can read the writing on the target sheet ....but I just wanted to rub it in when Bloodhound reads this )

Anyway, once again the Norinco proved that it was a more accurate rifle when we were plinking targets..............and so we had another competition with Alpha.
We have 5 steel plates set up at varying ranges from 70m out to about 140m. Each shooter had his choice of rifle and was allowed 2 shots per steel plate. We drew straws and then picked which rifle we wanted to use. Alpha was impressed with the Norinco and both him and I picked 'wisely'. BH stayed with the overpriced fancy looking European has-been...............

We drew straws to decide the order and amidst many insults we each fired our 10 shots. Modesty precludes me from saying who the winner was as far as the shooters go.............Due to a technical hitch the last 'steel wasn't available to Alpha or BH so we had to shorten the comp to the first 4 targets. The top shooter scored 6 out of 8 , BH scored 4 and Alpha scored 4.......
The BRNO was definitely in last place when it came to the accuracy stakes however.

After shooting near on 2 bricks of .22 we called it quits and headed home............

It was a good day at the range.

Oops, forgot about the second comp.....................shooting the same steel plates with your rifle of choice but shooting lefthanded.
Chris and I tied for 1st place ( with the Norinco) and ended up in a shootoff which I managed to win..........BH came 3rd with the BRNO......
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies