Hunting, generally.....

bklysenbklysen MemberPosts: 403 Member
Just thinking about how differently I've viewed this over the years...
I hunt mostly Whitetails and small game in the hardwoods of northern Wisc, but I suspect that really doesn't matter.

Used to be, I'd be pretty disappointed if I came back without meat. Not that it didn't happen quite often, cause it did. But when it happens today I'm really not all that miffed. Don't get me wrong, I still have those days when the urge to harvest is almost overwhelming based on recent scouting or stand sits - ya feel a bit stoked. Today is gonna be the day.....

Yet there are those other days when I just get out there without that sense of 'purpose', for lack of a better word...just to be there. And lately, for me, those days can be just a riot. This could spawn another thread altogether, but I think of the days that chickadees tug on the tag ends of my Gillie headwear, right next to my chin...and sit on my arrow when the bow is across my legs, or the Ruffed Grouse that walks the length of the log that my boots are on, right up to my feet...then gives me that look like he just pooped his feathers. Or watching the little mouse from 20 feet above that takes a half hour to roll an acorn about the same size as he is...over to his den. Or the Great Horned Owl that found a gray squirrel he thought he'd tackle going up a tree, a fight that lasted about 20 minutes of back and forth...There are others that don't come to mind at the moment.

More recently, at the end of one of those days I just tear off a few layers, get a blood-warming adult beverage, warm the hands and other things that need it....have a bite to eat...and sleep like a baby. Wake up the next day and want to do it all over again.

At one moment I think I'm getting soft; the next I see my freezer has unused capacity. Does that make me a conflicted individual? :tooth:

Replies

  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,272 Senior Member
    20 years ago, yeah, I would be disapointed coming home empty. Now same as you some days I am ispired, and some others I am content to just sit and let the day pass in front of my eyes.
    Coming from the vastness of Colorado's national forests to the mid-west has given me an appreciation for the small quite places that can be found around here.
    You seem to have a more diverse collection of wildlife to play with than around here. Last time out all I saw were a few crows, chipmunks and hawks. I really need to explore more of Wisconsin.


    Sako
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I like your post. Have had moments like yours while hunting. I enjoyed the read, brought back memories. Fell asleep against a tree one morning hunting white tail and all of a sudden I felt something warm and wet on my cheek. I slowly opened my eyes and a fawn had slipped up on me and licked my face and stood there trying to figure out what I was. When I turned my head the fawn leaped a good 3 feet straight up in the air and ran off about 10 yards standing by his mother. We watched each other for about 5 minutes and they slowly walked off.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Great post, Bob.
    I don't know if it's an age thing, or maybe something to do with the amount of animals harvested, who knows. I'm only in my mid 30's, but I feel the same way, frequently. I didn't kill a deer last year, and it was OK. I had does galore around me, almost every time I went out. 22 of them one evening, an evening I'll never forget. There were other times, I really wanted to put something in the freezer, but it wasn't to be.
    I love watching the squirrels, knocking a field point, hoping one will hold still for just a second, in bow range.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,038 Senior Member
    Fell asleep against a tree one morning hunting white tail and all of a sudden I felt something warm and wet on my cheek. I slowly opened my eyes and a fawn had slipped up on me and licked my face and stood there trying to figure out what I was.

    I'd have tried to hook the little guy on sugar cubes, rock salt, or whatever it is that deer get addicted to so that he'd come back willing to sell out his 6x6 uncle to you for his next fix.:devil:

    I have had my good days in the woods that were "unproductive" in terms of bringing home game, and I don't knock those times at all.

    Right now, however, I am at the point I have spent the last 1.25 seasons hunting hard to close in on my first mule deer buck, figuring out territories, habits, trails, food & water locations etc. . . I have seen many does, one buck of indeterminate legal status, and last week out, had a fleeting glance from 200 yards of either a large legal buck, or a doe the size of a great dane. The cigar has been getting steadily closer to the match, but has yet to be lit.

    I will undoubtedly mellow back into a greater appreciation for the natural beauty of Mr. Forky Deer, but at the moment. . .SOMETHING. . .NEEDS. . .TO. . .DIE!

    My father and I discussed this topic at the end of a day of failed tactics this last trip out: I found myself quoting Sean Connery from The Rock - - the bit about winners, losers, and prom queens seemed appropriate.:bang:
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    bklysen wrote: »
    Just thinking about how differently I've viewed this over the years...
    I hunt mostly Whitetails and small game in the hardwoods of northern Wisc, but I suspect that really doesn't matter.

    Used to be, I'd be pretty disappointed if I came back without meat. Not that it didn't happen quite often, cause it did. But when it happens today I'm really not all that miffed. Don't get me wrong, I still have those days when the urge to harvest is almost overwhelming based on recent scouting or stand sits - ya feel a bit stoked. Today is gonna be the day.....

    Yet there are those other days when I just get out there without that sense of 'purpose', for lack of a better word...just to be there. And lately, for me, those days can be just a riot. This could spawn another thread altogether, but I think of the days that chickadees tug on the tag ends of my Gillie headwear, right next to my chin...and sit on my arrow when the bow is across my legs, or the Ruffed Grouse that walks the length of the log that my boots are on, right up to my feet...then gives me that look like he just pooped his feathers. Or watching the little mouse from 20 feet above that takes a half hour to roll an acorn about the same size as he is...over to his den. Or the Great Horned Owl that found a gray squirrel he thought he'd tackle going up a tree, a fight that lasted about 20 minutes of back and forth...There are others that don't come to mind at the moment.

    More recently, at the end of one of those days I just tear off a few layers, get a blood-warming adult beverage, warm the hands and other things that need it....have a bite to eat...and sleep like a baby. Wake up the next day and want to do it all over again.

    At one moment I think I'm getting soft; the next I see my freezer has unused capacity. Does that make me a conflicted individual? :tooth:

    It's the most wonderful time of the year....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    It's the most wonderful time of the year....

    Ain't it? I love it. My wife is from the Philippines, a place I love to go get lost in away from the hustle and bustle of the rat race. But I reserve that time in the summer and late winter and spring. I don't dare leave this place in the fall. Fishing is good, it's hunting season, American football is played at this time, and it's just the time of year I love to be just about anywhere in North America, the Beautiful!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I like your post. Have had moments like yours while hunting. I enjoyed the read, brought back memories. Fell asleep against a tree one morning hunting white tail and all of a sudden I felt something warm and wet on my cheek. I slowly opened my eyes and a fawn had slipped up on me and licked my face and stood there trying to figure out what I was. When I turned my head the fawn leaped a good 3 feet straight up in the air and ran off about 10 yards standing by his mother. We watched each other for about 5 minutes and they slowly walked off.

    Perhaps that was a spiritual encounter of some type.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    It's an attitude thing more than age I think. I love to get out and enjoy the beauty of the wild. Seeing animals & birds wander through the scenery just makes my day. If I actually get to bag something, that's just icing on the cake. :up:

    Sure is nice to get a little icing every once in awhile though :devil:

    Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • HondoHondo Member Posts: 320 Member
    I was like that last year Bklysen. Sat one afternoon in a treestand and watched a small frog go hopping by....then a few seconds later a little black snake chasing him. Looked like a real life cartoon. That wa sa neat hunt. I watched 2 very small 6 pointers sparing with a 3 pointer as referee(I guess) because he wasn't doing anything. They were all 1 1/2 yer olds. It was nice just to watch nature. I guess it made it better that I had already shot an 8 pointer the day before; the pressure was off. But my BP season begins this Saturday and I am seriously jonesing for a deer/hog.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Yeah, it was all about shooting and shooting something----now, if I even go it is to get out of the house and enjoy being out there. I've missed the season since 3 Sept or whatever date it was.

    Maybe Friday, hey.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    The last 10 years or so of my uncles life he never shot anything at the deer lease. I asked him one time why, if he never shoots then what is the purpose of coming out hunting? My uncle looked at me and said "Boy don't you get it; it's to get away from your aunt!" Now that I am older I am begining to finally understand!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I'd have tried to hook the little guy on sugar cubes, rock salt, or whatever it is that deer get addicted to so that he'd come back willing to sell out his 6x6 uncle to you for his next fix.:devil:

    I would have liked seeing his uncle for sure since a six by six on a white tail would be TWELVE POINT!!! Man would I like to get a twelve point. I have shot a ten point but not a twelve point.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Excellent post and one which I can readily relate to.


    Yet there are those other days when I just get out there without that sense of 'purpose', for lack of a better word...just to be there............

    I know what you mean and I agree that it is hard to explain. Sometimes the best days are those when you dont squeeze the trigger.
    Natures ebb and flow has always fascinated me and when I was younger I used to regard a successful days hunting as being one where I managed to put meat on the table.
    The change didnt happen like a bolt of lightning but as a gradual subtle shifting of the 'goal posts'.

    At one moment I think I'm getting soft; the next I see my freezer has unused capacity. Does that make me a conflicted individual? :tooth:
    Not conflicted........I remember reading a book years ago where reference was made to a 'Spanish' (?) saying that was something like "He is a man who is easy in his skin".

    The term seems appropriate.

    Alec
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    I went through the whole communing with nature thing years ago. Now I want some meat.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I went through the whole communing with nature thing years ago. Now I want some meat.
    I do not need to shoot it, a fresh road kill is just as good.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Great post, Bob.
    I don't know if it's an age thing, or maybe something to do with the amount of animals harvested, who knows. I'm only in my mid 30's, but I feel the same way, frequently. I didn't kill a deer last year, and it was OK. I had does galore around me, almost every time I went out. 22 of them one evening, an evening I'll never forget. There were other times, I really wanted to put something in the freezer, but it wasn't to be.
    I love watching the squirrels, knocking a field point, hoping one will hold still for just a second, in bow range.

    Great post!

    And it's not an age thing, as jbohio opined. I'm 28 and I enjoy the same aspects of hunting as you mentioned. Once, I was sitting at the base of a tree and I suppose I was camaflouged well enough that a fawn walked up from behind me, nibbling at grass here and there about two feet away from me. I couldn't resist and when it looked away I reached out and touched its leg with my index finger. When it looked back at me, I stayed perfectly still and it just walked away like it was more annoyed with me than affraid. Truely a unique experience.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,346 Senior Member
    I absolutely agree about "taking it easy" more often with age. I really don't mind empty-handed days in the woods the way that I used to. Like you described, it seems there's always a redeeming event in the day, anyway: a squirrel working on a walnut at my feet for 10 minutes before carrying it off, a small group of button bucks staring at me in a ghille suite, wondering what I am and why I wasn't there yesterday, turkeys gobbling seemingly on top of me, etc. I can only think of a handful of "bad" days out hunting. Most of those involved broken gear, all of which can be replaced. Memories cannot be so easily replaced or substituted.

    Did any off you guys see this? Exactly the kind of thing we're talking about:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    AWESOME Video Six-gun!!!

    Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,346 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    AWESOME Video Six-gun!!!

    Luis

    Isn't it? Stuff like that it was keeps us coming back despite failure against the primry target. I guess I should calrify that this video is NOT me or my buddies. It's just a random YouTube video I stumbled accross one day, but it's topical nonetheless. Great to see that even deer can have narcolepsy (or maybe sleep apnea).
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 403 Member
    Wow, great video. Makes a guy wonder just how many snoring deer fall prey to a real predator. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care to be woken from a nap by some critter gnawing on my parts..... :cuss:

    Ever sit with your back to a tree, while it's still pitch black, only to discover when the sun comes up that an army of turkeys chose that one for their roost? When those guys wake up and take off they can move the whole tree. After the last guy left that morning it looked like I sat through a light snow, turkey dander or something. I have no idea, but I was covered in it.
  • John WhiteJohn White Banned Posts: 1 New Member
    I study about hunting on this forum. It is good. Every Sunday I went for hunt in the forest and i like hunting.
    BANNED FOR SPAMMING.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,687 Senior Member
    It really is a good post. I'm in my 50's but even when I was in my early 20's I enjoyed being out in the woods and observing things rather than having to kill something. Before I got on the lease that I'm on, I used to get invited up there to hunt as a guest and last fall, a friend had some work to do on the lodge and invited me to go up and try to roll a hog. He steered me to an area that had a lot of pig activity and felt that my getting a pig was almost a sure thing. In the two days that I hunted, I saw quite a few turkeys, armadillos, opposums, racoons, deer, and coyotes and I never fired a shot. When we left to head back home, my friend apologized that I didn't get to shoot a pig and I shocked him a little when I told him that it was a perfect weekend and I would do it over again exactly the same.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    bklysen wrote: »
    Wow, great video. Makes a guy wonder just how many snoring deer fall prey to a real predator. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care to be woken from a nap by some critter gnawing on my parts..... :cuss:

    Ever sit with your back to a tree, while it's still pitch black, only to discover when the sun comes up that an army of turkeys chose that one for their roost? When those guys wake up and take off they can move the whole tree. After the last guy left that morning it looked like I sat through a light snow, turkey dander or something. I have no idea, but I was covered in it.

    LOL :spittingcoffee::rotflmao: That was bird crap. The tree limbs get covered in excrement, and when they leave, their feet disturb the droppings. I've seen the same thing on the water where birds use trees to roost for the night. When they fly off as you paddle up nearby, it looks like it's raining on the water beneath the tree.

    Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 403 Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    LOL :spittingcoffee::rotflmao: That was bird crap.....

    Luis

    Yeesh.....I kinda wish I hadn't heard that, feeling a little less clean at the moment. I honestly never thunked of that. So, I was camped beneath a latrine. :roll2:

    I'm the Rodney Dangerfield of the woods. :tooth:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Nice video, I've had sguirrels come along and sit on my boots while I was sitting against a tree.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Isn't it? Stuff like that it was keeps us coming back despite failure against the primry target. I guess I should calrify that this video is NOT me or my buddies. It's just a random YouTube video I stumbled accross one day, but it's topical nonetheless. Great to see that even deer can have narcolepsy (or maybe sleep apnea).

    Now that is cool. That would definitely make my day to pet the damn deer. Reminds me of when my son chartered my other son's boat and brought five of his buddies and me down at South Padre. It was the end of the day and I had caught ZILCH, NADA, NOTHING all day long. So far, the day was sucking big time.

    Then on the way in we were hitting some rocks my son had coordinates on trying for some late afternoon Red Snapper. Everyone was catching small snapper, from 3 to 5 pounds when one guy hangs another small snapper or so it seemed. While realling it in, something really big hit the snapper and the race was on.

    Finally he got control of whatever it was and was reeling it up and about 45 feet of the stearn of the boat, this Beautiful 8 foot Mako shark jumps out of the water about 9 feet in the air. Wow! What a sight! Then I realized this was the fish that Clint was realing in. After it hit the water again it took off in the opposite direction.

    He fought it another few minutes and he turned it back toward the boat. When it got about 30 feet off the stearn it jumped again about 8-10 feet out of the water. It took off again and he finally got it turned once more after about 20 minutes and got it close to the boat. When it was about 15 feet off the stearn it came out of the water again. I thought it was going to land in the back of the boat. My youngest son and I ran for the cabin. But it came about 5 feet from the boat. This time the Mako made for Davey Jone's locker and broke Clint's line. Wow what a thrill.

    We all agreed that made our day. Now things like that are what make a day in the elements truly worth while. All this time I never even thought to grab my digital camera, which was right inside the cabin door, :uhm: :rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 007FJ007FJ New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    I just joined and this is a great example of why I hunt. Hawk that I could have slapped out of the sky while bow hunting from a tree stand. The young buck rubbing my pop up blind one morning. Always something like that happening.

    I can't touch the fawn or sleeping deer feats....yet!

    Richard
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,687 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Nice video, I've had sguirrels come along and sit on my boots while I was sitting against a tree.


    Shoot Ned, you've prolly had moss grow on your boots while you were sitting against a tree.:tooth:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,346 Senior Member
    Oh, I forgot about one of those dead day/great experience moments I had recently. During dove season, on an otherwise fruitless day while waiting for the sun to come up, you could see the silhouettes of owls circling near our spot, looking for prey. You couldn't make them out as far as color, but there's no mistaking that shadow against a near-dawn sky.

    Anyway, I spotted an owl doing it's best impression of a hummingbird no more than 3 feet over my head. The best I can figure, he though that my extinguished, oval-shaped LED headlamp was a mouse moving around. After the second time he made such a pass, I shined him with the lamp and saw a momentary flash of a beautiful, white owl panic off into the early morning sky. Ultimately, I'm glad that I spooked him. I don't think it would've felt very nice had he decided to lay those talons into my scalp.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ritchey sr.ritchey sr. New Member Posts: 14 New Member
    Here in PA if I had come home empty handed a few years back I would have had a bad day, but now it is not so important to bring home the game. I really get pumped when bow or gun hunting and a nice one comes into range, but if I don't get one I still have fun just being in the wild and observing. I can't wait till fall comes around and the leaves change and the squirrels run and fill the air with their chatter. I still get a thrill out of hearing a grouse drumming in the early morning or the low calls from a flock of turkey that are roosted nearby. I still get excited hearing the sound of hoofs rattling in the dry leaves. It is just great to be alive and be able to enjoy what nature has to offer.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.