Home Main Category General Firearms

Nice wood for the 10/22

WeatherbyWeatherby Senior MemberPosts: 4,953 Senior Member
What can I say besides I never saw a good piece of lumber for one until today.

e1625430-de06-421e-ba97-0ae6dceca52b_zps17d2a316.jpg

0251d5cb-1d49-46d4-bca2-bb80aab67eee_zpsbd2a7e06.jpg

d7d48fa1-f835-4f01-aac8-c21b4e32cbc1_zpsc00da318.jpg

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    beautiful
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    Wow!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    Nice indeed.....factory or aftermarket?
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    Looks good...what kind of wood is that?

This week, I saw a 10-22 that had a factory straight grip stock and fish scale checkering. A schnable forend. The guy who owned it sold if for $400. I'd never seen one like it.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Antonio wrote: »
    Nice indeed.....factory or aftermarket?

It is an old factory one.

The wood is walnut it has some real nice color and grain.to it.......every other 10-22 stock I've ever seen has been just plain bland walnut.
    This one could pass for exhibition grade.

It was hiding in a junk bin and I inquired as to the price.
    Guy says 10 bucks cash money.
    I like wood so home it went......been sanding on it already
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Nice wood you got there, you gonna put it to use or just look at it? :jester:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    That IS a beautiful and unusual piece of wood! Any chance we could see several more photos? Maybe 2-3 up close to show the grain pattern? Beautiful stock wood and Red-Headed Wimmins will get my attention instantly every time!
    It's been a while since I saw a walnut stock on a production 10-22. Most of them are hardwood, and this one appears to be as well.
    Gene, you're probably on to something. That's why I would like to see more photos, especially close-up ones showing grain patterns. American Black Walnut usually can be easily ID'd using the patterns of what's called the "storied ray cells" which is the cellular structure that transports food material through the wood.

Some years ago, 26-28 or so, I was scheduled to go into a tropical area of the world and set up a sawmill, surveying the timber supply of a vast area at the same time. I was supplied with 20 or so samples of species that I was to "look" for in the tropical jungle. Some of these samples were awesomely beautiful with characteristics superior to our Walnut for high-end products like fine furniture and gunstocks on high quality pieces. I've seen a few stocks made from a couple of these species that look similar to that pictured by Weatherby above. Close-up photos may simply ID it as ABW, though. I've seen ABW have grain patterns similar to this, but it's very unusual and usually associated with large burls.
    I'll definately get some more pictures......It is unusual for sure.

should have saved this for a # 1 IMHO
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    Very nice indeed.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    What can I say besides I never saw a good piece of lumber for one until today.

e1625430-de06-421e-ba97-0ae6dceca52b_zps17d2a316.jpg

It is a rather pretty piece of wood but that is probably the reason why it is on a .22!! The way the wood swirls and the flow of the grain make for an unstable rifle stock. The forearm would have a tendency to warp and the wrist area would be prone to breakage. Not good combos in a center fire rifle. The forearm area also looks like it has some sapwood in it, which was closer to the bark. If you look at Ruger stocks, they were well designed with straight grain running through the forearm and wrist, and if there was any figure it was usually in the butt!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Fantastic piece of wood! great for a light recoiling rifle, like a .223, years ago I bought a rough cut blank with full " crotch feather " in the butt, some of the grain extended about 2" forward of the recoil lug, I knew better but fitted it to a .300 H&H, after 40 - 50 shots it started cracking at the recoil lug, I managed to save it by piller and re-enforcing the lug and action area.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is purty. That will make for a very classy 10/22.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    ok Rich best I could do with my phone and thanks

265cae4c-743a-4536-8415-bd97774fdf11_zps0d6213d9.jpg

67878c0a-e821-43e3-b5ef-9f9f1ee07323_zpsffd42bb4.jpg
    OK I'm 95% sure that it isn't ABW and I base my opinion on the cellular structure visible in the 2nd photo down. I think it will be one of the high-end tropical hardwoods most probably from the Congo. These are or can be excellent quality beautiful tropical hardwoods, and I'm betting that this one is probably superior to ABW in strength and shear quality. Might, just might be a little heavier in weight than ABW, but probably a little superior in stability, too! Good trade-off IMO!
    I'm in the process of working on it but give me a few minutes Rich and I'll post a couple more pictures.

I think the other side of the fore end and it's underside may be more telling
    timc wrote: »
    Nice wood you got there, you gonna put it to use or just look at it? :jester:

Use and abuse....use and abuse
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Tell you what I'm just going to send you an allowance every month and you do all my shopping for gun stuff.

better hurry I can get you a model 700 deluxe and guess what it is semi-auto
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    Wow that sure puts the wood on my 10-22 to shame.

Super find!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Gene L wrote: »
    Looks good...what kind of wood is that?

This week, I saw a 10-22 that had a factory straight grip stock and fish scale checkering. A schnable forend. The guy who owned it sold if for $400. I'd never seen one like it.

found it.... never heard of or seen one like that either.
    That sure is different

http://www.impactguns.com/ruger-1022-classic-v-wstraight-grip-schnabel-forend-limited-edition-of-1500-1297-736676012978.aspx
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    The last photo looks like walnut. The first photo looked like birch from the bole area.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    The last photo looks like walnut. The first photo looked like birch from the bole area.

It is a very odd one.....I think if woodsrunner looks again with the current pictures.
    He may determine that it is or isn't Walnut much better
    That one side of the forearm is confusing for sure.......
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    This is the sort of grain pattern I'm used to seeing on older 10-22's. A fairly straight grain that is very strong.

Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    I've been trying to figure out what kind of wood that is so here's my best guess!!
    I've seen some amazing color contrast and grain pattern, similar to your stock, in birch. Most of the birch factory stocks at spayed with a stain/finish combo that masks the wood underneath. Once the finish comes off the colors and grain come out.
    My next guess would be Claro walnut. It's a cross between ABM and English walnut. Most of it comes from California where the ABW was spliced to English walnut. It has a lot of color and grain variations, but is softer than most other walnuts!
    My next guess would be Claro walnut.....Al I think you nailed it on that one.
    I think it's birch. I've had Claro on a few guns and the grain pattern is completely different from the first picture.
    The mystery wood is coming along well.....LOL