Home Main Category Hunting

Flash News Alert! Porky Pig and Bambi have been Shot Dead!

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
"BANG TV NEWS 270" reporting a shocking news story just out. That famous Pig, Porky and his equally famous Movie Sweet Heart Bambi the deer have been shot dead! Yet Again!

:yikes:

:rotflmao:........................:rotflmao:........................:rotflmao:
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Yesterday morning my son in law and I went out to the lease. He is a bow hunter and I had been telling him that he should take a rifle along in case he didn't get a bow shot so he could at least get some meat. He's been hunting in the brush line at the first feeder on the lease. I went on down to where I usually sit and where my wife and I shot three deer the week before.

I had been sitting there for a little over an hour when I turned around and saw a black object that I thought was a calf at first. The guy that has the cattle lease on the land has cows in the hunting pasture this year and I thought it was a calf. However when I looked at it through my Nikon Binos I saw that it was a pig.

I wasn't going to shoot it at first because since we have three deer in the freezer already, I'm now horn hunting so not to screw up my chance at a good buck I was going to let him pass. He finally ducked into the brush and I felt relieved because the longer he stayed out in sight the more tempted I was getting.

But then he made the fatal mistake and showed his face again, this time running across the pasture across from where he came out. At this point I was still perfectly willing to let him go, but then he stopped running and turned around and came back toward the Sendero. He stopped about 5 yards from the road that runs down the middle of the sendero.

Then I lost patience with him and laid the rifle on the cross member along the top of the blind and shot: Score snake284-1 Porky Pig-0.

I hit him in the neck right behind the head and he went down like a sack full of rocks. The range was about 120 yards. It was not a difficult shot but the .270 and the 130 grain GK did their usual fine job and put Mr. Porky down for the count.

Then when we were leaving to go home we scared up a bunch of deer in the clearing just up the road toward the gate from where my son in law had been sitting with his bow. All but one took off running for the brush line except one that stood there looking at us. So I told my Son In Law that if he wanted some meat to take it with my rifle. so he jumped out and layed the .270 across his hood and BANG!
    Bobbie 1-deer 0.

What we thought was a doe turned out to be a fairly large nubber buck. The only shot he had was straight on at the center of the Breast. The deer ran about 30 yards to our right before expiring at a dead run. We drove out in the pasture and threw it in the back of the truck and away we went home.

I had forgotten to take some pictures of them until I was into skinning the hog. So here's some pics of both the deer and the hog on the tables out back of my house.

My son in law and I did the gutting and skinning because that famous bare foot Jungle Woman Deer Hog Skinner was working that morning. But she got home in time to get into the action.

The hog we estimated to weigh about 110-120 pounds, a fairly young small boar. He didn't have that strong smell of a bigger boar hog.

IMG_0789_zpsb10501cb.jpg

IMG_0790_zps8009d5a1.jpg

IMG_0792_zpsa3a1cf96.jpg

You can see the nubs on the buck here. They had just barely broken the skin. It was a good sized deer for a nubber.

IMG_0795_zpsa3f2199c.jpg

Here's some pics of the Jungle Woman wheeling her machete cutting the ribs off the back bone and quartering both animals.

IMG_0800_zps7ae63157.jpg

IMG_0801_zpsd619a23b.jpg

IMG_0804_zps10499ff0.jpg

IMG_0802_zpsa92fdac2.jpg
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Excellent! Meat for the larder..way to take your position atop the food chain!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    Great hunt!

I gotta say that the land owner for my lease would not like hearing that I did not immediately drop the hammer on a pig!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Don't get that woman mad at you.................looks like she knows how to use a knife :yikes:

Y'all won't be hurtin fer meat for a while, good hunting.

cpj, he has a woman at home to do it for him! Not many women will gut an animal for you.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Good hustle!

Now I must ask, why do you not gut them in the field?
    There are things in there they want to eat---duh.
    snake284 wrote: »
    "BANG TV NEWS 270" reporting a shocking news story just out. That famous Pig, Porky and his equally famous Movie Sweet Heart Bambi the deer have been shot dead! Yet Again!
    Good thing it was a .270 :rotflmao:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    Well done!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Congratulations! Next up, Dumbo and a whole passle of dancing penguins.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Mike glad you are getting a lot of hunting in and being successful too.

Especially going out under gunned.

Did you happen to notice Any abnormalities to that buck ?

Genital/leg injuries ?
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    Good thing laughing boy had one boowit left!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,116 Senior Member
    Nice couple of meat critters...
    Good hustle!

Now I must ask, why do you not gut them in the field?

Unless I'm a long way from home, I rarely gut them in the field. It's so much easier and less messy to hang them up and unzip them over a bucket.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    For me it depends on how far I have drag the critter. If I have to over a hundred yards I will gut where it lays. When I get a four wheeler I will be driving them all to the barn.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    I too am wondering why he didn't gut it in the field. We always did so it was easier to drag. Also, none of eats the innards.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Great hunt!

I gotta say that the land owner for my lease would not like hearing that I did not immediately drop the hammer on a pig!

I agree, great hunt! Also agree about the porker, all pigs must be shot on sight at our place too.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Man, you guys have a LOT of pork stock at your place. Well done!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Nice couple of meat critters...

Unless I'm a long way from home, I rarely gut them in the field. It's so much easier and less messy to hang them up and unzip them over a bucket.

:that:

Thank you Bro Jayhawker, that's my thinking. I only live 17 miles from the gate and it was a cool day. Why not? in the Field you don't have water and it's a mess.

I will say if I was 3-4 hours from the house and it's a warm day, yeah the guts are coming out before it gets loaded up.

Also, I usually skin them before gutting because it keeps a lot of hair off the meat. I am set up in the back yard and I have many different knives, ropes etc. here at the house not 20 minutes from the lease.

Also, I usually skin deer with my car. I skin him down around the neck and and cut the skin around the front legs, and hang em by the neck. Then I put a golf ball or smooth rock under the skin and tie a rope around it. Then with it hanging from a tree I hook the other end of the rope around the trailer hitch and drive off. This skins it slicker n OWL POOP. And I'm rigged to do that here at the house. So I have several reasons I don't field dress.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,138 Senior Member
    Congratulations Snake and family. You guys are gonna eat good with your freezer full of venison and pork.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Then...put them In a bag. Leave the rest for the buzzards.
    Actually, I have been guilty of dragging one out whole to keep it clean and to have put them on the boat and taken them somewhere else to gut them.
    Don't want to gut one, then have to drag it across a sandy beach.

Just as a side note, back during the reign of the Base biologist before the current one; we had to bring them in and let him do it so he could examine the innards.
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Mike glad you are getting a lot of hunting in and being successful too.

Especially going out under gunned.

Did you happen to notice Any abnormalities to that buck ?

Genital/leg injuries ?
    H

Thanks Weatherby. Actually, I hunted as much or more last year, but we didn't see the numbers of deer last year. However we saw more hogs last year. This is the first one I've seen since last February. I don't know where the deer went last year. But they're back in force now.
    NN wrote: »
    There are things in there they want to eat---duh.

Not me. My wife kept one liver that looked good. I won't eat any of that crap off a wild animal and very little off Domesticated animals.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Congratulations Snake and family. You guys are gonna eat good with your freezer full of venison and pork.

Thanks Diver. We will do that for sure. I was wanting a hog for sausage. I've gotWi lots of deer meat bagged up to grind for sausage and i'll mix it with some of this wild pork and add some domestic hog fat. That makes some great sausage.
    sherwood wrote: »
    I too am wondering why he didn't gut it in the field. We always did so it was easier to drag. Also, none of eats the innards.

One thing Sherwood there's very few places on this place I have to drag an animal over about 5-10 yards.
    Tonight I BBQed a piece of hog backstrap. I marinated it in a little vinegar and soy with onions chopped up and some garlic, salt and course ground black pepper. It was melt in your mouth good. That pig was young and tender and I smoked it with a mix of hickory and cherry wood chips. I usually use Mesquite , Pecan and live oak but I didn't have any of those logs at home so I went to the store to get wood chips and all they had left was Hickory and Cherry, But I'm not complaining. that mixture makes some very fine BBQ.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,116 Senior Member
    By the time I get them home, they are generally still warm and he fat hasn't had time to set up, so getting a hide off is a matter of a few minutes. Hanging them up for gutting and letting gravity help makes gutting a snap...Then the coyote bait just falls into bag lined bucket. Then I put the carcass in a cheesecloth bag and let it hang for a couple of days depending on the temperature.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    By the time I get them home, they are generally still warm and he fat hasn't had time to set up, so getting a hide off is a matter of a few minutes. Hanging them up for gutting and letting gravity help makes gutting a snap...Then the coyote bait just falls into bag lined bucket. Then I put the carcass in a cheesecloth bag and let it hang for a couple of days depending on the temperature.

YES! This is exactly my procedure back in the day when I hunted farther north and there was no threat of a 70 degree day. Cheese Cloth is nice. Keeps the flies off too.
    I can see that I guess. But, one thing I find odd is you skin them, AND GUT them. If it's NOT gutted and I skin it, I'll be damned if I'm gutting it! The only thing I'd lose would be the loins. And I'll gladly waste them to not have it gut it!

I got your point but like Jayhawker says, if you hang em up and don't wait too long the guts will about fall out when you unzip em. Besides, I'm a sucker for Tenderloins, even though on a deer they're pretty small. Two of them marinated and smoked on the pit for 30-45 minutes make us a meal and oh boy what a meal!
    Congratulations! Next up, Dumbo and a whole passle of dancing penguins.

Hmmmmmmm I wonder how BBQed Dumbo would taste? But no thanks for the Penguins, I'll pass on them. Remind me of a Seagull Sandwich,

:roll2:..........:roll2:..........:roll2:
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    You don't have to eat them. But for the love of God and the sake of humanity, shoot them penguins. All of them. Please.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Hmmmmmmm I wonder how BBQed Dumbo would taste? But no thanks for the Penguins, I'll pass on them. Remind me of a Seagull Sandwich,

:roll2:..........:roll2:..........:roll2:[/QUOTE

But But But then I'd be on P.E.T.A.s Hit List and they might Sick Holder on me!!! Seriously though, what's the deal with Penguins? Are they a nuisance like a hog? l've heard various murmurings about them before, but being that I live in an area that seems to have a chronic shortage of them, I have no knowledge of them or their habits other than they're cute and cuddly looking, LOL! ,
    Not me. My wife kept one liver that looked good. I won't eat any of that crap off a wild animal and very little off Domesticated animals.
    I tried a deer liver, did not like it. I eat the hearts.