Home Main Category General Firearms

Met somebody at the range.....

Big Al1Big Al1 Senior MemberPosts: 7,760 Senior Member
That's about as nuts as I am! I like old, obscure, hard to find, obsolete, rare and uncommon rifles and chamberings!! But the guy was shooting one I had never even seen before. It's a Dutch Beaumont rifle in 11.3X51R!! Complete with a bayonet!!
He was in the process of fire forming some cases, which he had made up from trimming .50-90 cases and necking them down in .45 Colt dies.
Found this info on making cases but it sounds like a pain.http://pulemetov.net/weaponry/beaumont_cart_71_88.html
I just thought this was kind of interesting!!

pix574716683.jpg

pix779741110.jpg

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,648 Senior Member
    While traveling through your area we stopped at a gun store and they had that rifle at a ridiculously low price. Lady said no ammo or brass was available and would need to be made. I was tempted to purchase it just for the kool factor but bought a .22A instead. Not sure why, as 22s were harder to find than ammo for that rifle.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,760 Senior Member
    Was that at Arias Artifacts??
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,648 Senior Member
    It was Ranger Firearms and Mercantile in Ft Walton Beach.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,048 Senior Member
    Hmm, a 360gr lead projectile pushed by 55gr of BP............doing 1300fps. Substitute 35gr of IMR4198 and you get another 120fps.

Definitely interesting.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,851 Senior Member
    Cool :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Thanks

Did you buy it yet?
    Lerchess wrote: »
    Did you buy it yet?
    No! I've been there before but I found the place by accident! It's close to a two hour drive from me.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Crap, I though it was gonna be a love story............mysterious hot blond who drove up in an expensive convertible at the range wearing a scarf and sunglasses calls me over to help her adjust her sights..................................says her rich uncle left her a massive gun collection she knows nothing about and would you mind coming over to help her........................... so we left early and I followed her dust trail outta the parking lot salivating at what may be coming my way :jester:

Oh, I guess it is a love story :guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    No! I've been there before but I found the place by accident! It's close to a two hour drive from me.

Poor excuse from a feller that drives to Cheesehead Land every year to find rifles. :nono: Hie the to the gun shoppe and pick up that old war horse, post haste! :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Crap, I though it was gonna be a love story............mysterious hot blond who drove up in an expensive convertible at the range wearing a scarf and sunglasses calls me over to help her adjust her sights..................................says her rich uncle left her a massive gun collection she knows nothing about and would you mind coming over to help her........................... so we left early and I followed her dust trail outta the parking lot salivating at what may be coming my way :jester:

Oh, I guess it is a love story :guns::guns:

Wrong forum, you've been reading Penthouse again!!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member

I fly 6 hours and wrestle time out of the wife's beach & shopping schedule for a set of grips, a few reloading tools and a couple of mags......

A guy offered me one of those Beaumonts once; nicely built rifle in good condition, but almost impossible to make it shoot here so had to pass. Probably a wall hanger someplace now.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wrong forum, you've been reading Penthouse again!!

Naw, but what could be more exciting to gun nuts than a sexy gun story....you listening SamW/Chamberlain?

I know a guy who hunts with that old stuff, like the 1911 Swiss rifles (not the K-31) and older.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,286 Senior Member
    I saw one on the range at the Vintage Rifle matches. It was pretty cool.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.