Home Main Category Hunting

Field Report: Ruger 77/44, Hornady XTP, and My Son's First Deer!

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 16,212 Senior Member
Let me start by saying that this may take me a few days to get all the photos and science up on here because they are a lot of both and quite a bit of good information I (actually we) would like to share with the forum. But first thing is first...

0005_zpsd4bf11b4.jpg
This is my son, Nicolai. He is 14 years old. This is his first deer. We did Michigan's youth hunt back in September but failed to get a deer. We hunted Michigan's firearm opener last weekend and failed to see a squirrel, let alone a deer. Things were looking bleak!

A couple of months back, Joe (Jbohio) and his wonderful wife Angie, invited us to hunt their property during Ohio's youth season this weekend. We gladly accepted. I can't say enough good things about these people. They welcomed us into their home, served us some delicious food and beverages-- we had warm beds to sleep in, and lots and lots of entertainment from their two dogs that are an absolute hoot.

Not only that, but they spent their entire weekend making sure that our hunt was a success. Joe let us park our blind right under his tree stand, when we finally got a deer, they came and got it with their tractor. After that, Joe gutted the deer, then broke it down for us before we left, and even lent me a tub to haul it in. Not only that, but he send me home with some of the delicious bratwurst that he gets there locally, some home canned treats, and these great potato chips that are only available in his area.

The first time I met Joe was several years ago when he hitched a ride with me to a SE Shoot. We hit it off right away. Since then, our friendship has grown. I consider him a close personal friend. If you ever get a chance to meet him, do not pass it up-- your life will be richer knowing him.
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
-Thomas Paine

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,212 Senior Member
    The bullet was a 240gr Hornady XTP. It was being pushed by a max load (24.5gr) of Lil'Gun. We clocked it on a Chrony at 1852fps at 7 yards. This would give us a muzzle velocity of 1885fps and an impact velocity (at 30 yards) of 1780fps. The bullet punched through a rib and another 2 feet or so of deer. It weighed 213gr for a 89% weight retention. Average expansion measured at .774" giving the bullet an 80% expansion. For Bigdan, it delivered 1689fpe.
    0035_zps5873e290.jpg
    0032_zps8211f5da.jpg
    0034_zpsc212c29b.jpg
    -Thomas Paine
    Now for some blood and gore...
    Entry...
    0007_zps0be169ae.jpg
    Trauma to the neck shoulder area...
    0055_zpsc7ed1eea.jpg
    Into the thorax...
    0018_zps6c46772a.jpg
    ...where it clipped the top of the left lung...
    0017_zps5618c04d.jpg
    ...from there we found a hole in the diaphragm, and into the peritoneal cavity where it stopped right around the tenderloins...
    0020_zpsad3f975d.jpg
    This will help illustrate the bullet path a bit better...
    0025_zpsf4e7a949.jpg
    0028_zps1be4d818.jpg
    0029_zps50dc0dd0.jpg
    -Thomas Paine
    In that last photo, you can see a bullet hole in the right elbow. The first shot killed the deer, dropped her on the spot, but she was flopping a little more than I would have liked to have seen, so I had Nic shoot at her two more times. That was one of those two. The other one must have been a miss. Fortunately, the first shot did turn out to be a quick, clean kill and suffering was minimal.
    -Thomas Paine
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,299 Senior Member
    Awesome!............Just Awesome!

Congratulations Nicolai for your success and welcome to the club. In your future hunting career there will hopefully be many more deer that will succumb..............but the first and the memories associated with taking it will remain with you always.

To Jerm, Joe & Angie, excellent work in putting it all together.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,611 Senior Member
    Well done and congrats to Nikolai and his proud poppa :worthy:

I concur that Joe's "good people" though I've never met his bride.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,847 Senior Member
    Congratulations Nicolai!!!

To the adults involved, Great Job, I know the young man will never forget his first, no matter how many may be in his future.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Congrats to all!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,496 Senior Member
    Well done!!! Very happy for both of you.

The SJS doesn't disappoint. In generosity and performance. Proud to be a part, however far removed.

Thanks much itch for the autopsy! I am using that bullet as well and am curious to see the difference at pistol velocities.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,782 Senior Member
    Awesome hunt, Congrats to Nicolai, and great report!

As a rule, I have never met someone from this forum that was not just plain old good people.

Love that rifle, too.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Love that rifle, too.
    More on that later. I need to weigh the rifle with the scope, get some more photos of it, and get a trigger pull weight.
    -Thomas Paine
    Oh, and this photo doesn't do the deer justice. This was a big, fat, healthy Midwestern farmland doe. The little kid? He is 5'11". That boot on his foot? Size 12.
    0005_zpsd4bf11b4.jpg
    It is hard to tell in this photo, but that doe weighed 160 pounds on the hoof. It was hard for my assistant, Beaker (I mean Joe) to hold that scale still so the shot got a little blurred.
    0013_zpse62c0c5a.jpg
    -Thomas Paine
    cpj wrote: »
    And you're an asshat.
    Thanks for noticing!
    -Thomas Paine
    :wink:
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Your son is bigger than me. And Joe. And Zed. Wee little folk, we be.
    That's a big ass doe. :up:

Yeah? No joke!!! Look at his dad!!! He ain't exactly PETITE! That should solve that mystery, ah Duh......

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Oh, and this photo doesn't do the deer justice. This was a big, fat, healthy Midwestern farmland doe. The little kid? He is 5'11". That boot on his foot? Size 12.
    0005_zpsd4bf11b4.jpg
    It is hard to tell in this photo, but that doe weighed 160 pounds on the hoof. It was hard for my assistant, Beaker (I mean Joe) to hold that scale still so the shot got a little blurred.
    0013_zpse62c0c5a.jpg

Please let your son read all this, because having raised five kids and taking them all hunting, I know what A BIG DEAL this is in his life. So having said that, Nicolai, congrats! That is just a fantastic deer. You did well, and I hope this is just the beginning for you in this wonderful world of hunting and shooting.

And you did well dad. You are raising kids that have great values and will be a credit to this country. Good on you!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Also, that's a great rifle. I have always had a love for Ruger 77s. I've had two of the older ones, in fact that 9.3 x 62 is one. And for a short range deer or hog round, the 44 mag is great. The 44 mag is responsible for a lot more deer than people think. A 44 Mag. in a great classic Rifle? What's not to love?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,732 Senior Member
    Nicely done young man!....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    First of all, Jerm, congrats to your boy! He got his first deer a LOT younger than I did and it's a very nice-sized doe, at that.

Second, I can't say enough good about Joe and Angie. They have let me pollute their home space numerous times in the name of letting me sight in my rifles for several hunts now. I have nothing but great things to say about them and I'm thrilled to see that they set you guys up for a successful deer hunt.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,009 Senior Member
    Congrats to Nicolai on a great hunt, What could be better than a successful hunt with your dad and friends.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Congrats to Nicolai. You wont forget your first one. Try to remember who took you when you take yours, that is why we do it. Now, tell dad you want jerky.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,573 Senior Member
    Congratulations to the young one and his Pa. Nice to add to the proud tradition.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Congratulations to Nicolai and his mentor! You have done well Jerm, he will not soon forget the lessons he has learned at your side. I have always liked the .44 magnum in a rifle, mine is a model 1894 Marlin. I like the 300 grain Speer SP over 21 grains of H-110........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    What makes me laugh more is, I know you two male organs were just lauuuughing your heads off during the planning stage.
    Yes we were.
    cpj wrote:
    But until I see pictures of Joes chips and sausage, I think you made this up just to taunt me.
    Jermanator wrote:
    I need to weigh the rifle with the scope, get some more photos of it, and get a trigger pull weight.
    That time will come when I am good and ready.

I also seem to recall that you and the blonde midgets were invited over for the weekend. There was plenty of room for a couple more young hunters. That will teach you!
    -Thomas Paine
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,036 Senior Member
    Most excellent!
    Tell your son, congrats for me.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Way to go! Make sure he gets a good picture of him with the deer. I still have mine from many, many years ago.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,602 Senior Member
    Thanks for all the kind words. We really enjoyed having you guys, it was very special to us to be a part of helping a young man harvest his first deer.

Chris, we were gonna take a good pic, but I didn't have time to run to town and get the trail bologna. Of course, you know what Jerm brought for me.:tooth:
    The 77/44 is SWEET!!!!
    Whose the Nancy wearing the black latex gloves?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,022 Senior Member
    Nice, tell him congrats.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,602 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Whose the Nancy wearing the black latex gloves?

Well, the bloody, knife holding hands you see are mine, Jerm took the pics, so that leaves......

I did the old "you pick up that end" trick to Nic. Sure enough, the neck wound soaked his pants with blood. We was a bit freaked out.
    He put on the gloves, and soldiered through it. By the end, he helped me dig through the gut pile to find the bullet.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Well, the bloody, knife holding hands you see are mine, Jerm took the pics, so that leaves......

I did the old "you pick up that end" trick to Nic. Sure enough, the neck wound soaked his pants with blood. We was a bit freaked out.
    He put on the gloves, and soldiered through it. By the end, he helped me dig through the gut pile to find the bullet.

:up:

Sometimes, you gotta break'em slowly.