Home Main Category Hunting

Field Report: Ruger 77/44, Hornady XTP, and My Son's First Deer!

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,738 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I don't care about getting it on me. However, the smart man avoids it.

Just don't forget to wash your hands.

4237868850_99e2b5afb2_z.jpg
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,639 Senior Member
    Nice deer. give your son a big attaboy.

Sako
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,441 Senior Member
    Tell the kid atta' boy from me also, hunting with JB is a good thing that needs to be done more than once, if the JB household is feeling generous, sweet talk the missus for some of her moms pumpkin butter, pumpkin butter on toast with 2 strips of bacon will keep you warm hunting until lunch time.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    You should really look at getting a Jard sear kit for that 77/44. I am pretty sure it is now the best trigger I have. I used mine last week to shoot a skunk in a live trap. Why? Because I wanted too.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Pffffffttttttt.

If it is fear of disease...........ok......fine. If it's fear of "gett'n some on ya"................well............you just killed the damn thing. So.........it comes with the territory.

There will be blood.

I HATE getting blood on my hands when I'm field dressing a deer...

...that's why I lick my hands clean when I'm done.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Taint a thing wrong with gloves.[/QUOTE

Famous last words when the urologist says as he's pulling on the plastic gloves, "Bend over and lemme get a feel of that prostate"..........:yikes:

:silly::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,617 Senior Member
    You should really look at getting a Jard sear kit for that 77/44. I am pretty sure it is now the best trigger I have. I used mine last week to shoot a skunk in a live trap. Why? Because I wanted too.

I told him that, too! The factory trigger is pretty bad. Gotta be 7-8lb.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    How much does crap weigh? That will be the trigger pull weight.

I will get the trigger replaced. I was already planning on it but had less than a week from getting the rifle to deer season and had to get it ready.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    jbohio wrote: »
    I told him that, too! The factory trigger is pretty bad. Gotta be 7-8lb.

Mine felt like more than that.

Hey Chris, sorry we didn't have time for you to fondle my carbine last time you were in town.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I told you to stay away from that truck stop.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,748 Senior Member
    I know what the best chips are...... Middle

7f97d207de8f54a30b809ea24af63045.jpg

I know what the best trail bologna is.....

0a1209429b3cc3909f3035e3aa98e83b.jpg

No idea about bratwurst.....

That's a nice doe. With all of the soybean and corn fields around there is should taste like a lot fed steer...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    What is Trail Bologna? What makes it different from regular dog meat?
    Dad 5-31-13
    It's the original. Invented by the Troyers, in Trail, Ohio.

Awesome ring Bolognese.
    You !

Yep, that's the baloney. Those ain't the chips though.

That's because you ain't never had those chips! Iffn you had tried these chips, they would be 'the chips'......:popcorn:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    It's the finest tube meat you'll ever out your lips around. It doesn't have the gritty Oscar Mayer texture. It's delicious.

Goes great with......... babyswisswheelsm.jpg
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Jerm congratulations to you and your son.

Kudos to JB and his wife......for a memory he won't forget
    Thanks everybody! I will show Nic this thread tomorrow-- I have been working out of town for the last two days and just got home.

After school, he is going to butcher it with me and vacuum seal it all. I will get some rifle photos tomorrow as well.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Thanks everybody! I will show Nic this thread tomorrow-- I have been working out of town for the last two days and just got home.

After school, he is going to butcher it with me and vacuum seal it all. I will get some rifle photos tomorrow as well.

Been nice knowing you:tooth:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Vacuum seal?
    You suck. So does the machine too, I guess.
    Vacuum chamber seal...
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vacmaster-vp215-chamber-vacuum-packaging-machine-with-10-seal-bar/120VMASVP215.html

My new toy. It crushes beer cans!
    -Thomas Paine

Looks like the one in use at my local butchers, very cool toy, I got to get a run down of it one day.
    Sous-Vide.
    Make it happen. Range report expected.
    Need a tank, circulator, and lots of time to cook that way. I got none of those! I will update the vacuum sealer thread I started a few weeks back after we give it good workout tomorrow. I think I am going to like it. It is my birthday/Christmas present to me, from me.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,167 Senior Member
    Need a tank, circulator, and lots of time to cook that way. I got none of those! I will update the vacuum sealer thread I started a few weeks back after we give it good workout tomorrow. I think I am going to like it. It is my birthday/Christmas present to me, from me.

No you don't. Get a crockpot and a Dorkfood DSV. I have one and it works awesome. Been meaning to do a review on here for over a year and just not done it yet
    http://www.dorkfood.com
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Update: The deer has been butchered completely. Yield was 49 pounds of boneless meat. 25 of stew/soup and ground meat (I could have got more steaks but plan on making a bunch of sausage later), 4 pounds of liver/heart (3 of it liver-- Google recipes for rumaki), 6 pounds of backstrap. 13 pounds of round steak, 1 pound of tenderloin.

I saved all the fat and rendered it. So far, I have 4 1/2 pounds. We will make soap with it. I took all the leg and rib bones (along with tendons, ligaments, silverskin, and cracklings from the fat that we rendered) and have 5 gallons of stock that will be simmering overnight. I am not sure if I am going to vacuum seal and freeze it of pressure can it yet. It smells awesome!

The vacuum chamber sealer? I am not sure what I would have done without it. It freaking rocks!

The hide is in my freezer. I am going to ship it off to a place in NY on Monday to tan it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,738 Senior Member
    That's flat out using the whole deer!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    No you don't. Get a crockpot and a Dorkfood DSV. I have one and it works awesome. Been meaning to do a review on here for over a year and just not done it yet
    http://www.dorkfood.com
    On backorder. Supposedly ships on Tuesday.
    -Thomas Paine
    That's flat out using the whole deer!!
    Yep. Nic wants the pelt as a memento to hang on the wall in his room. I was going to use some of the fat for lube on muzzle loader bullets, but thought it would be fun to get all Fight Club and try making some soap (and it makes great Christmas gifts). Stock-- I discovered that about a year ago. Soups, stews, sauces, and gravies are so much better now! That, and it is like getting something from nothing-- stuff that normally gets thrown away makes great stock.

Also-- while CWD isn't in Ohio, and it supposedly doesn't affect humans, I didn't use the spinal column just in case.
    -Thomas Paine

There's an article in F&S this month......they used a cooler, and a digital thermometer with remote probe. Pour in 140° water, set the thermometer to beep when the temp reaches 130°, add more 140° water. Done in two hours.
    That's awesome.
    And you're an asshat.

Yep. -Nicolai
    -Thomas Paine
    Pffffffttttttt.

If it is fear of disease...........ok......fine. If it's fear of "gett'n some on ya"................well............you just killed the damn thing. So.........it comes with the territory.

There will be blood.

To be fair, they were the ones freaked out. I just disliked it when Dad wiped it on my face, as "Warrior Paint". Teen angst and all that, I suppose. And I also made the joke "I'm a walking CDC nightmare. It makes me want to hug someone". -Nicolai
    -Thomas Paine