Home Main Category Clubhouse

Back surgery tomorrow morning

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
So they scheduled me for a discectomy (sp?) tomorrow at 0900 to relieve the pressure my compressed vertebrae are putting on my sciatic nerve. They'll do this by going in with a micro pointy slicey thingy and relieving some of the bone on each side of the herniated disc.

It's an outpatient procedure and I'll be home by evening, then back on my feet Wednesday, but I'd appreciate any prayers for success. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Thanks! :beer:
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,823 Senior Member
    Hoping for the best!!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I had a similar microsurgery procedure in two spots on my back about 15 years ago. It worked pretty well, and although I'm not pain-free now, at least the major symptoms of pain and numbness in my right hip and leg was corrected. I think I spent two days in the hospital, and was released for "normal" activities about two months later. Behave yourself and follow the doc's orders- - - -it really does work well!
    Good luck!
    Jerry
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Good luck. Hope it goes 100%
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Thanks, all. Jerry, that's what I'm hoping for!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Looking for the best, pal, and keep us updated, okay?
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I had a similar microsurgery procedure in two spots on my back about 15 years ago. It worked pretty well, and although I'm not pain-free now, at least the major symptoms of pain and numbness in my right hip and leg was corrected. I think I spent two days in the hospital, and was released for "normal" activities about two months later. Behave yourself and follow the doc's orders- - - -it really does work well!
    Good luck!
    Jerry

Agreed. When a medical procedure goes right, there's nutting much better than that. Last month I had laparoscopic hernia repair, where they insert the mesh. They kicked me out the next morning and I had only slight healing pain, which went away totally in about 4 days, and the x-rays show a nifty, perfect job.

So we're hoping for the same for our Teddy-lovin' pal!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Sending Positive thoughts your way
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Hope it all goes well and you get some much needed relief. :angel2: :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    :angel: I hope all goes well and recovery is quick and boring.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    Good luck Larsen, I'll keep you in my prayers.
    :angel:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Man, you won't be huntin no Turkey on Thanksgiving Day, except on the dinner table :tooth:

Best to you and full recovery soon :angel2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Thanks all! I'll post an update tomorrow night.

NRA Endowment Member
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,669 Senior Member
    Good luck. I had L-4 to L-5 disc removal in 1984. It wasn't so bad, even then with more antiquated surgical procedures.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Best of luck.......I hope it all goes well..... just take it slow and take time healing.....Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    They are operating on your what?!?

Ohhhhh, disc.

At first, Chris read your post and thought that you were having an Adadictomy.
    :wink:

Good luck and God bless, Larry.
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,941 Senior Member
    Good Luck tomorrow! Hope everything works out for the best! :angel2:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,108 Senior Member
    Good luck and a speedy recovery.
    Don't do any heavy lifting for a while..................maybe you should send your long guns to me so you don't get tempted. Actually, maybe you could deliver them in person and recuperate by lazing in the sun for a while...........yes, that sounds like a good idea........:tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    :angel2:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    :angel2: Heal fast and completely.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    Best of luck to ya, may it be a 100% success!

Then join a Belly Dance class to strengthen that back! :roll2:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    Should be an easy procedure, Just Prayed:angel2: you heal up without complication.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Thanks everybody. I'll be back this evening to update.

NRA Endowment Member
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Best of luck to you.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Offered.
    I just recently had some minor surgery done and it has taken longer than I expected to be up and going.
    I think it is only "minor surgery" when it is happening to someone else:tooth:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    :angel2:
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Thanks everybody. I'll be back this evening to update.

No! Post earlier while the pain meds are in full force. It'll be funny!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Eli wrote: »
    At first, Chris read your post and thought that you were having an Adadictomy.
    :wink:

Good luck and God bless, Larry.

Well, an Adadictomy is much preferable to a Subtractadictomy. In my opinion.........which may not be right. Sayin'
    ― Douglas Adams
    Just got back from the hospital, with a quick stop at the pharmacy and Chick Fil A. Procedure went smoothly, and the doc says everything went according to plan.

Should start feeling some relief over the next few days, with full recovery over the coming weeks. Thanks for all the support!

NRA Endowment Member
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Great news, now just do as the doc says.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Glad to hear good news, Larry! :up:
    Mikey approves of your choice of meal, too! :up: Eat Mor Chikkin! :roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams