Home Main Category General Firearms

Range time with the .45-70 and AR.

JeeperJeeper Senior MemberPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
All shooting done off a not so steady bench (shakes when other people shoot since all 7 lanes/benches are interconnected) at 100 yds.

First up was my .45-70. The deer I shot this last week did NOT get hit exactly where I was aiming, so it needed checking and re-zeroing. After 3 shots to adjust POI, I shot this 5/8" 3 shot group just to verify the zero. Yup, good to go.

Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Replies

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Next up, the AR. I got some new Hornady Superformance 75 grain 5.56 to try out.

The first group was an awesome 3/8", but I could not repeat it, consistently throwing one round each group mostly due to the horrible stock trigger (~7 lbs, gritty, with creep). No point wasting any more ammo on it until I get the trigger replaced.

At least it's zeroed for that ammo now.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,759 Senior Member
    Look's good!! Refresh my failing memory.... what model is the .45-70 and what load are you shooting??
    2001 Marlin 1895G (guide gun) walnut & blued steel. One of the ported ones that they did a run of for a few years around that time. Shooting factory Hornady LeveRevolution 325 grain FTX.

It will shoot sub MOA with that stuff all day.

Luis

A pic of the culprit.

Burris 2x7 with some old Weaver rings.

Luis
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,759 Senior Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    Real nice
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,625 Senior Member
    Good shooting!
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    Sounds like a good day. Nice shootin.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    Looks like the Marlin is good to go! One ragged hole.
    I have one of the ported Guide Guns in .45/70, too. They sure are fun to shoot! Just a little louder than normal. Get a good trigger for the AR and shoot some more to see what it's capable of doing.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Yep looks like its all dialed in, nice groups.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    TY all!

I have definitely got to get a good trigger for the AR Tennmike. I think it would shoot dime sized groups if I could just do my part better, but the trigger is killing me.

Luis
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,419 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Next up, the AR. I got some new Hornady Superformance 75 grain 5.56 to try out.

The first group was an awesome 3/8", but I could not repeat it, consistently throwing one round each group mostly due to the horrible stock trigger (~7 lbs, gritty, with creep). No point wasting any more ammo on it until I get the trigger replaced.

At least it's zeroed for that ammo now.

Luis

I ran some of this ammo through my Savage Edge and was pretty surprised, similar results to yours, those first 3 shots are keepers.
    I tried to get son #3 to try this gun and ammo this deer season, he was not ready to step up.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11