Home Main Category Clubhouse

Color inkjet printer -- recommendations?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Black Friday we're gonna head over to MicroCenter or elsewhere and buy a new HP color inkjet all-in-one printer.

I'm lookin' at the HP 8610e for $100, which has the features and resolution desired.

Any recommendations for a color inkjet all-mode (scan, fax, etc) printer for about 100 bucks?

Thanks

Replies

• olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Check this one and see if it has what you're looking for. Put in coupon code PRINTERDEAL and get $50 off.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-4500-network-ready-wireless-e-all-in-one-printer-black/8949452.p?acampID=0&ref=8575135&loc=0&id=1218956269709&skuId=8949452
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    ole, I've got that exact printer on my checklist when we go shopping, among a couple others.

My only concern with that specific printer is that it has 2 cartridges, black and 3-color. So if you run outta one of the 3 colors you gotta change the whole color cartridge. The other printer I listed uses 4 cartridges, 1 black and 3 separate color. So each color runs out separately.

Nevertheless this is a very small point and nothing that I can't live with. So yeah, thanks for the info.

Oh yeah, do other printers from BestBuy had a similar discount code or is this the only one?

I checked the MicroCenter price for that printer and it's $80 list, 20 bucks cheaper than the BestBuy. The first printer I listed sells for $200 at BestBuy and only $100 at Micro. Which is why I'm pretty much focusing on that store.

But regardless I'll checkout other prices before buying.

And how does this Envy printer work for you? Do you have any problems with the 3-color cartridge vs 3 separate color cartridges? Thanks for the feedback.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Stay away from Epson.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    We've had very good performance from Brother color inkjets.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    We've had very good performance from Brother color inkjets.
    I've heard good things about them too.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,742 Senior Member
    The printers are cheap but the cartridges are killers. VERY expensive, which is how they can sell printers so cheap.

The cartridge that comes with them lasts about 10 pages so you'll need cartridges before you leave the store. Just be aware and shop for cartridges before you commit yourself. There are hundreds of different cartridge models and finding one for your printer is quite a task, or used to be.

A few years back, I bought a Laser printer, since I don't print in color. It works fine, has a cutoff switch on it because while it's running, it's using ink. I think that's true with color printers as well.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I already own a LaserJet, runs perfectly, has for years, cost me just $110.

I'm pretty well set on HP printers. In my work I've had all sorts of printers come past my nose and HP has been the most reliable and works the smoothest.

Gene, you're right about the cartridge costs. And yeah, regardless of which printer we buy, we'll get the larger capacity spares. They cost more but overall they're more economical. And yeah, this is a way that the printers are less expensive due to recovering capital with cartridge costs. But that's how it is, regardless of the brand name.

What I AM asking about is who here ACTUALLY owns a color printer and how it's "behaved". Thanks, guys.
    samzhere wrote: »
    What I AM asking about is who here ACTUALLY owns a color printer and how it's "behaved". Thanks, guys.

I've had several HPs that were just fine. Expensive to feed, but reliable.

Like Gene, I bought a B&W LaserJet a few years back, MUCH cheaper to run. Save the Color printer for pictures and CD labels, that kind of thing.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I already own a LaserJet, runs perfectly, has for years, cost me just $110.

I'm pretty well set on HP printers. In my work I've had all sorts of printers come past my nose and HP has been the most reliable and works the smoothest.

Gene, you're right about the cartridge costs. And yeah, regardless of which printer we buy, we'll get the larger capacity spares. They cost more but overall they're more economical. And yeah, this is a way that the printers are less expensive due to recovering capital with cartridge costs. But that's how it is, regardless of the brand name.

I thought you asked for recommendations for a color multifunction inkjet for around $100? If you're already set on HP, I can't help you.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I used to buy 'good' printers, but last time I just went after the cheapest all-purpose printer I could find - turned out to be a Canon Pixma, at that particular time. I had sworn off of Canon years ago because of their low-capacity, high priced cartridges. But, after checking cartridge prices I decided to roll the dice and it has worked out fine. Good quality prints and the cartridges have lasted as well as any of my recent choices, plus works fine, stand-alone (as a copier).
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    I have a HP Photosmart 3 in 1 printer,scanner,copier. ( Its a B109 I think.)

Seems to do the job for me.
    Still haven't figured out half the functions yet, but have only owned it for 2 years..........:roll:

Cartridges are expensive......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    We've got an HP Deskjet 3052A. All in one and wireless. Since it's 2-3 yrs old you may not can find it.
    I thought you asked for recommendations for a color multifunction inkjet for around $100? If you're already set on HP, I can't help you.

Er, I did. But "recommendations" generally come from people who have used or owned items, whether guns or trucks or printers. Thing is, even in the ballpark zone of $100, there about a dozen HP printers, all with similar functions but each with various options and speeds and such.

Ya see, I can use this newfangled thing called the "internet" and search for printers, and I'll see bunches of them. But I turn to my pals here on the forum because I know they're sharp and spend their money wisely. And what I kind of wanted was a personal recommendation. I can search the net myself. But obtain individual recommendations from guys I trust? That doesn't come easy. Which is why I asked for "recommendations" and this carries the inherent concept of individual experience with something. We've seen this recently for used cars/trucks, and other things. In all these cases the thread author asked for suggestions. Same as I'm doing.

But thanks. I'll stick with HP. I was just trying to whittle down the various models from 80-120 bucks that come from HP.
    BigDanS wrote: »

I did consider a new or refurb color laserjet, but I really want the new thing, that new printer smell, ha ha.

And part of my search includes the automated scanning system. Both my girlfriend and I have hundreds of color photos but we want to get them digitized. This will address that need too. But thanks for the suggestion. I did look at full function color laserjets, great I'm certain but not in my budget right now.
    zorba wrote: »
    I've had several HPs that were just fine. Expensive to feed, but reliable.

Like Gene, I bought a B&W LaserJet a few years back, MUCH cheaper to run. Save the Color printer for pictures and CD labels, that kind of thing.

Well, this is perzactly what I'm doing. I've owned an HP laserjet pro monochrome** printer for several years now, works perfectly. The new inkjet will be only for photos and for color scanning.

** I don't know if the word "monochrome" is socially acceptable any more.
    RugerFan wrote: »
    We've got an HP Deskjet 3052A. All in one and wireless. Since it's 2-3 yrs old you may not can find it.

I had one of a similar model but it got swamped (literally) and was ruined. What HP has done is rename their little Deskjets as "Envy" and then a step up to the "inkjet pro" models. The main difference is that the pro models use 4 cartridges and the Envy models use 2, and of course the Envy models are a bit slower and have fewer features.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    We have a HP 6600 and aside from needing to read the manual to setup stuff, it is not something you can figure out to easy to quick, it works well. The ink is not cheap but not outrageous either at $45 for the set (1 of each black, yellow, cyan and magenta). We don't print huge volumes but I think black does run out 1st and just the black cartridge is like $15. Right now Best Buy has it on sale for $70 I think.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member

I have heard good things about Brother printers also.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I really like the HP line of printers, have always recommended them, they always have a late model colour, scans, faxes, has more features than most people will use, accepts memory sticks & cards, price hovering around $100 new, Best Buy or Staples etc.... I have used HP exclusively, paperwork etc... photocopies, the service station was using a thermal fax machine for photocopies, way more expensive per copy and crap copies as opposed to plain paper copies.

I did not find cartridges expensive since I was using printers as a business tool.
    Used printers for the most part do not save too much money in the long run........

Edited to add; I think HP really gives you more value for your dollar, however, I really hate those almost empty trial printer cartridges they give you with most printers these
    Days....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    I have used HP printers with no issues except the price of the 5 ink cartridges. I tried a Kodak ESP 9250 and have been very pleased with it. Two X large cartridges run me $50.00. Damn thing even prints in 3D.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    We have a HP 6600 and aside from needing to read the manual to setup stuff, it is not something you can figure out to easy to quick, it works well. The ink is not cheap but not outrageous either at $45 for the set (1 of each black, yellow, cyan and magenta). We don't print huge volumes but I think black does run out 1st and just the black cartridge is like $15. Right now Best Buy has it on sale for $70 I think.

Thanks for the feedback, dude. I already checked the BestBuy prices against MicroCenter, and model for model, Micro is much cheaper, plus has a huge inventory. I however will check Black Friday prices before we set out on our post-Thanksgiving pilgrimage.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I really like the HP line of printers, have always recommended them, etc....

Pretty much how I've found this, after many years in buying and using printers of all sorts for the companies I worked with. HP seems to be the most reliable overall and their features seem to work more easily. My LaserJet is terrific, fast, and is a great monochrome printer. Ya can't beat lasers for that sort of printing.

I did have a nice little HP Inkjet but the broken water pipe thing got it killed, sadly. So I've been without color printing but really do want one for girlfriend's and my own scanning of photos and printing some color stuff for friends.

We don't need a huge page-per-minute outcome, just good quality images. And of course, "smart" scanning, with auto-cropping and so on. Our target price is the 100-buck range but there are a bunch of HP printers in that area, plus many more of other brands. Actually, looking at the various HP models, I think they're not being smart to have so many nearly identical models at nearly the same price. Makes no real sense, sales-wise. Home users or very small businesses only need maybe 2-3 choices, a little low output model and a faster, fancier model, and that's about it.

Anyway, thanks guys for your feedback, and yeah, we'll check out the competition stores other than MicroCenter but they seem to beat everyone else on prices. And yeah, we'll buy a set of high capacity ink cartridges too.

I know what you are saying about the nearly empty trial ink cartridges. That's no longer being done, thankfully, but similar to this, the cartridges you get with the printer are small capacity "starter kit" size and you need the larger (and more expensive) cartridges anyway. Sigh.
    Er, I did. But "recommendations" generally come from people who have used or owned items, whether guns or trucks or printers. Thing is, even in the ballpark zone of $100, there about a dozen HP printers, all with similar functions but each with various options and speeds and such.

Ya see, I can use this newfangled thing called the "internet" and search for printers, and I'll see bunches of them. But I turn to my pals here on the forum because I know they're sharp and spend their money wisely. And what I kind of wanted was a personal recommendation. I can search the net myself. But obtain individual recommendations from guys I trust? That doesn't come easy. Which is why I asked for "recommendations" and this carries the inherent concept of individual experience with something. We've seen this recently for used cars/trucks, and other things. In all these cases the thread author asked for suggestions. Same as I'm doing.

But thanks. I'll stick with HP. I was just trying to whittle down the various models from 80-120 bucks that come from HP.

Then why didn't you limit your question to HP printers instead of asking what people use and how they behave. So far you've asked three different questions, two of which have little to do with your original request.

NRA Endowment Member
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Then why didn't you limit your question to HP printers instead of asking what people use and how they behave. So far you've asked three different questions, two of which have little to do with your original request.

bisley wrote: »
    Cretin.

:deadhorse: :roll: :tooth:
    Sauce for the goose.

NRA Endowment Member
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    This is kinda comical....

First of all, many thanks for doing the job that not all here are willing to do -- scour through my postings and carefully analyze them, and report on your findings. I know it's a thankless task but you're to be lauded and praised by folks all across the internet for such tiresome and diligent work. Congrats!

I suppose I should have first limited my request to HP printers only but I in fact FORGOT to say such. And turning back time is pretty hard to do. So my original post will just have to swing in the breeze for posterity.

You (and some of the other "Sam Watcher" volunteer quasi-moderators on this forum) probably need to copy that posting and save it for future rants against my stupidity, such as leaving out "HP" from my post, even thought it was quite clear in subsequent posts that I was mostly focusing upon Hewlett Packard.

Again, superb detective work and analysis results in such a difficult and challenging job. Maybe a fund should be set up to compensate you and others for the time spent searching through my posts to find their flaws. Feel free to start a new thread on this, maybe a PayPal account number?
    This is kinda comical....

I agree. And silly, too. But hey, it's all free, folks.

In the meantime, thanks to others here for the actual real recommendations. I've looked through the other brand names and outlet stores and will continue to do such till Black Friday rolls around.
    First of all, many thanks for doing the job that not all here are willing to do -- scour through my postings and carefully analyze them, and report on your findings. I know it's a thankless task but you're to be lauded and praised by folks all across the internet for such tiresome and diligent work. Congrats!

I suppose I should have first limited my request to HP printers only but I in fact FORGOT to say such. And turning back time is pretty hard to do. So my original post will just have to swing in the breeze for posterity.

You (and some of the other "Sam Watcher" volunteer quasi-moderators on this forum) probably need to copy that posting and save it for future rants against my stupidity, such as leaving out "HP" from my post, even thought it was quite clear in subsequent posts that I was mostly focusing upon Hewlett Packard.

Again, superb detective work and analysis results in such a difficult and challenging job. Maybe a fund should be set up to compensate you and others for the time spent searching through my posts to find their flaws. Feel free to start a new thread on this, maybe a PayPal account number?

Bream is absolutely right: you take us to task for not being clear and concise when we post, then you get all snarky and sarcastic when we apply the same standard to you. To quote yourself, go take a flying leap.

I'm done.

NRA Endowment Member