Home Main Category Clubhouse

Color inkjet printer -- recommendations?

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Sauce for the goose.

Guilty as charged. :whip2:
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Guilty as charged. :whip2:

So, you're saying you're saucy? :wink:

sau·cy
    1. impudent; flippant.

"a saucy remark"

synonyms:

cheeky, impudent, impertinent, irreverent, forward, disrespectful, bold, as bold as brass, brazen, pert;
    So, you're saying you're saucy? :wink:

sau·cy
    1. impudent; flippant.

"a saucy remark"

synonyms:

cheeky, impudent, impertinent, irreverent, forward, disrespectful, bold, as bold as brass, brazen, pert;

All of the above. :cool:

PS.
    Mainly " pert ".
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    You (and some of the other "Sam Watcher" volunteer quasi-moderators on this forum) probably need to copy that posting and save it for future rants against my stupidity, such as leaving out "HP" from my post, even thought it was quite clear in subsequent posts that I was mostly focusing upon Hewlett Packard.

Paranoia to boot.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Stay away from Epson.

:agree:

The ONLY thing I like about Epson is the separate cartridges for color. It prints WAY too freaking slow, the cartridges seem to only last about three minutes, the cartridge replacement process is enough to drive me batty...Did I mention how slow it is?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Get an HP inkjet in the $80-120 range.

Good enough?
    George Carlin
    Samsung CLP-315 Colour Laser Printer , had it for some time, 10 years?

Buford wrote: »
    Paranoia to boot.

For some:

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” .......Ralph Emerson.

For others:

“If you would know who controls you see who you may not criticise.” .......Tacitus

:angel2:
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    If you have settled on a model you want check amazon.com for prices before trudging out to the local store. I have saved lots of money on different items, shipping and sales tax by using their internet store.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Sam, hp has this sale today!

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/printers/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m176n

Mfp176n color laser jet MFP for $219. You will pay more in inkjet cartridges than the difference in price. If it sits a month without printing, you will not have to replace a cartridge.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    I had one, don't remember the brand. I don't print very much and certainly don't print color that much. I can't remember why I bought it, now.

If you're a CEO or a media person I can see the need for pie-charts and graphs, where it's effective to get a color printer. I'd look for one with an auto cut-off to save cartridges.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Here is the one I bought for the truck. You can change out ink colors individually and the ink cost is fairly reasonable. I paid $80 for mine, but they are going for as low as $60. The ones we use in the house are straight up B&W laser printers-- lots and lots of printing for cheap.

Inkjet...
    https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6944121243688754957?q=brother+mfc-j470dw&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&sa=X&ei=5eZ3VNeiLO7ksASg_4GwAQ&ved=0CIcBELkk
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    And now that I read the whole thread... Yea, I have owned Lexmark and HP printers before and have had issues with both. I have two Brother laser printers and a Brother inkjet. I have had one laser for my home office that has seen moderate daily use for 9 years now and have never had a problem. The other two aren't as old but have worked flawlessly.

So while you personally may be looking for a printer that only says HP on it, there are other members and lurkers here that may be looking here (tomorrow or even a couple of years from now) for a new printer and may stumble across this thread. When they do, they will see that Brother has a pretty good reputation.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Get an HP inkjet in the $80-120 range.

Good enough?

Close, but no seegar. I'm hoping for members here who've actually used certain models on their feedback. Unless of course you've got a particular model you've used and can either recommend or say no to.

But thanks anyway.
    Jerm, and others, thanks for the many good suggestions. I'll check the net for any comparison prices before we head out to the store Friday.

I'm pretty set on HP anyway, but I do appreciate your and others' different brand suggestions, too.

I'll of course report back on the newbie addition to the printer family here at the homestead.
    Close, but no seegar. I'm hoping for members here who've actually used certain models on their feedback. Unless of course you've got a particular model you've used and can either recommend or say no to.

But thanks anyway.

Yes, I know. After I went back and read the whole thread (which came after my first post on this thread) it seemed obvious to me that your question should have read: "Which $80-$120 HP inkjet should I buy?", instead of what you actually asked, which was quite different.

I got your seegar, right here.:tooth:
    George Carlin
    Ended up with a nice cozy HP "Pro" all-function printer for less than 100 bucks, on special at MicroCenter. They had other similar printers on sale, and I'd done my homework (thanks for the suggestions!) and bought a printer with most all the functions I wanted, and a bit less expensive than other models.

I can only say the best about MicroCenter. Even on Black Friday the staff was helpful (per suggestions here I bought the larger size of the black and color cartridges, but they weren't on the rack, so the guy went back into the storeroom and found them) so the staff were extra nice even thought busy. Their prices were also equal to anyone's or better.

On the way out, as you know, they've got "impulse" items on racks but they also had this big display of 80-buck remote control helicopters. The things were about 2 feet long and keen. Likely junk but I nearly succumbed.

Anyone with a rowdy nephew who needs a gift, or a wayward sou who wants a gimmicky treatl, you might check out this copter at MicroCenter. I've got zero idea whether it's worth the money, but hey.
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Yes, I know. After I went back and read the whole thread (which came after my first post on this thread) it seemed obvious to me that your question should have read: "Which $80-$120 HP inkjet should I buy?", instead of what you actually asked, which was quite different.

I got your seegar, right here.:tooth:

Thanks regardless, as I'm happy that you took the time to review my post and find its flaws. Most members here wouldn't spend the effort to carefully sift through everyone's posts, so you're to be thanked. There are just a few others here who spend time (some might consider it "wasting time").

But since you took an inordinate and extra effort, let us all know what color inkjet printer you have and have found a good choice. Even thought I bought a printer today, others will be helped by your very thorough time spent in this thread.
    It's not about flaws Sam. You asked for opinions (again) and others answered (again) and then you told those others that their answers were wrong (again). If I may offer a little friendly advice; When asking a question, make sure you are asking what you mean to ask. Much like punctuation and grammar, being precise in your questioning is important when a precise answer is required. Doing anything else just wastes time and makes others cranky. There's no reason for ALL of us to be cranky, is there? :tooth:
    George Carlin
    So... lemme see... you (coolgun) spent all this time analyzing my posts and reporting on them, in a thread for which you've had ZERO actual input -- "I bought the HP 4943a and it's a pieceajunk." and so on. Right?

If you've got the time to scour all the postings in this forum and analyze and comment on their errors or omissions or whatever (I have already apologized that I FORGOT, ****, to insert "HP" into my original post but that doesn't seem to placate some here, those who seem to be intent on finding fault with my postings) I am happy for you.

Or maybe you've just decided to dedicate your time exclusively to my postings? I'm very flattered but all the "positions are filled" in my special G&A fanclub at the present. You can check back later.

But if you've otherwise decided to put in some considerable time in policing all the forum posts to find the errors and flaws in the postings, and report to everyone on them, my hat's off to you -- it's a difficult job but I'm pulling for you and others here who regard this as their special burden and task, a sort of "semi-moderator" job. More power to you guys!

I myself long ago gave up the "forum grammarian" job and now I only pick nits in postings where I've been insulted. So this challenging position remains unfilled as yet. There will likely be a clamor of applicants and I'm unaware of the screening process and the exact duties. I'm certain that the moderators here will provide guidelines and set up the evaluation process for applicants.
    Paranoia running wild.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    So... lemme see... you (coolgun) spent all this time analyzing my posts and reporting on them, in a thread for which you've had ZERO actual input -- "I bought the HP 4943a and it's a pieceajunk." and so on. Right?

If you've got the time to scour all the postings in this forum and analyze and comment on their errors or omissions or whatever (I have already apologized that I FORGOT, ****, to insert "HP" into my original post but that doesn't seem to placate some here, those who seem to be intent on finding fault with my postings) I am happy for you.

Or maybe you've just decided to dedicate your time exclusively to my postings? I'm very flattered but all the "positions are filled" in my special G&A fanclub at the present. You can check back later.

But if you've otherwise decided to put in some considerable time in policing all the forum posts to find the errors and flaws in the postings, and report to everyone on them, my hat's off to you -- it's a difficult job but I'm pulling for you and others here who regard this as their special burden and task, a sort of "semi-moderator" job. More power to you guys!

I myself long ago gave up the "forum grammarian" job and now I only pick nits in postings where I've been insulted. So this challenging position remains unfilled as yet. There will likely be a clamor of applicants and I'm unaware of the screening process and the exact duties. I'm certain that the moderators here will provide guidelines and set up the evaluation process for applicants.

Maybe it is just you.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    ... Or maybe you've just decided to dedicate your time exclusively to my postings?

This is the holy grail for me also Sam but I... am... a...... very......slow.......reader...... and ..so ...many ...words........

Stay calm and bask in the glory. :worthy:
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    This is kinda comical....

And it just keeps on giving....
    They usually end up like a train wreck.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Only if there are captions.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Only if there are captions.

Caption;

Legal Definition;

The heading of a pleading that contains the names of the parties and court, the case index or docket number, and the type of pleading the document is.

The taking or carrying away of an object. See also larceny, robbery, and trespass.

The arrest or seizure of a person pursuant to legal process.

This sounds good. :applause:
    Ended up with an HP Officejet 4630. An in-store special priced it a bit below the usual $99 and this multi-purpose "whatever" does scanning, printing, fax, and copying. It's fully WiFi compatible so I got the thing fired up, initialized, loaded the cartridges, and then logged it onto my local Xfinity WiFi.

Took less than an hour to fully install and mess with the printer. No USB needed, it ran easily via the WiFi and I can print from and scan to my laptop, the software pretty easy to use.

The HP Officejet "family" is more full featured and has generally higher resolution than the "Envy" product line, which is more suitable for very low output home use.

And no, I didn't buy the remote controlled helicopter that they had next to checkout although I was tempted, 70 bucks, but I knew I'd crash and bust the thing in about an hour.

Although they were busy on Black Friday, the staff at MicroCenter were, as usual, helpful and knowledgeable. I had trouble finding the spare print cartridges (I bought a new set of the "XL" higher capacity) and the clerk took nearly half an hour to run thru their inventory and find them for me. I'll email the company's customer relations dept and give the guy some kudos. That is always welcomed.

Thanks again for the recommendations. This little printer/scanner seems to be ideal, priced just right and with the features I was looking for, but at the same time not gimmicked up. Nice looking product, too, sleek and black and very well designed, easy to access the insides, load the cartridges, etc.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Maybe it is just you.

Of course it's just me! Nobody else seems to "deserve" the rapt attention from mini-fans as I seem to acquire. I'm flattered of course, although I don't know what I've done to deserve such close scrutiny, having my postings nitpicked carefully and the various omissions or errors meticulously listed and documented for all to see. It's really terrific to know that some here have all this spare time on their hand, too. A plus-plus for both sides!
    I guess we won't be exchanging cards again this year? Pity. For what it's worth, I did make a recommendationof sorts in my original post. I recommended NOT getting an Epson. This was an effort on my part to ensure that a potential customer of the marque could avoid the pitfalls I have navigated. I realize now that my advice was superflous and, apparently, nowhere near the verbosity requirements needed to attain the desired results. I hope you can forgive my relatively stoic original post and eagerly await your response.

Warmest regards,
    coolgunguy
    George Carlin
    Printer?

This post was about a printer.

I did not pick up on that.