Home Main Category General Firearms

My Early Christmas Present.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,518 Senior Member
My friend told me a few weeks ago that he had my Christmas present. I asked what it was and he said, "It's big. It's obnoxious. You'll like it. But, you can't have it until Christmas."

Well, yesterday I was over at his place working on guns and he handed me this..........

IMG_4967_zps60b8b091.jpg

I asked him what it was and he said, "Your Christmas Present."

Looking at the back of the cartridge, I read, ".445 SUPER MAG"

He then reaches into a drawer and hands me this..................

445SuperMagG27_zpsd0926f29.jpg

A Thompson Center G2 w/ 10" .445 Super Mag barrel and beautiful walnut grips!!!!!

He then says, "Take this too while your at it." And hands me a .44 Mag vent rib barrel with choke (one of the older models) and a bag of 100 .445 Super Mag cases.

445SuperMagG210_zps2a3be00e.jpg

I am in shock. This is an absolutely beautiful gun in an awesome chambering. One I know next to nothing about except what I've read in my loading manuals this morning.

To top it off, another .44 Mag barrel!!!! Gotta figure out this choke tube thing. Do I shoot bullets with the tube in? Or do I have to take it out first and only use the choke when shooting shotshells?

I've already tested my RCBS .44 Mag dies and the sizer will work on the Super Mag cases as well. So, I don't need to buy new dies. That's a bonus!

I have plenty of 240gr XTP bullets, but I might like to run the 300gr XTP through this sucker. Just because.

Next question...........do I scope the Super Mag or run it with the iron sights? What say ye?

445SuperMagG22_zps940e946e.jpg

This is just a stupid awesome Christmas Present! I am humbled yet again.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I know nothing...

Why would you choke a bullet as opposed to shot? I think thee choke is for shot shells only.

Scope it !

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Wow! Merry Christmas indeed!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I know nothing...

Why would you choke a bullet as opposed to shot? I think thee choke is for shot shells only.

Scope it !

D

It "appears" that the straight lands of the choke are smaller than the rifling (lands). Therefore, if it truly is, the bullet would not touch the straight choke. Simply passing the choke on the way out the barrel.

Thus is is what I see visually. I could be totally wrong.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Congrats......nice shooter!

You have an awesome friend.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Here is what the choke looks like inside the barrel.

DSCN0596_zpsd3527a94.jpg
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    The choke just stops the shot wad from spinning before it leaves the barrel? I've never seen a pistol caliber shotshell witha wad though?? Don't know how the pellets leave the cup on a shotshell, or what the straight rifling would help/hinder???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I am assuming it shoots a .410?
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I am assuming it shoots a .410?

No. The vent rib barrel is chambered for the .44 Remington Mag.
    A choke on a 10.5 inch shot tube seems unneeded.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    Buy some Lil'Gun.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    You have one awesome friend!
    Let me be the first to say. :yousuck:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    Here is what I found from John Taffin, sounds like long range is the idea, scope it.

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt445sm.htm
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Sweet!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    This may be a false memory, but I THINK I remember the ported .44 Mag barrel. It was for those plastic shot things that fit over the shot, like a bullet, and kept the shot out of the rifling. It removed the shot cups.

This may be all a bunch of false memory, though.

Edit: No, here's what I'm talking about. http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/empty_shot_capsules.aspx
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    does this mean that Casull barrel may be needed ?........LOL
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    Great looking gift, but what I've got coming will top that.:devil:
  • will-jwill-j Member Posts: 50 Member
    Zee; The straight rifling simply stops the shot from spinning and helps keep the shot concentrated as much as possible. The plastic shotshell breaks up from the rifling in the barrel and the rotational force spreads the shot very quickly after leaving the muzzle. The straight rifling prevents or reduces that to a great extent.
    :confused:
    [email protected]; I need my meds.
    THE WINDS OF TYRANNY ARE BLOWING FROM OUR OWN CAPITOL.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,146 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I have plenty of 240gr XTP bullets, but I might like to run the 300gr XTP through this sucker. Just because.

DUDE! You've just been handed the ideal launch platform for that 325 grain WFN! You're going to get a respectable bow-wave through meat off that thing from a .44 Mag. 1300FPS should be quite do-able from the new launch platform. Welcome to the next level! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_magnum
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    Back when that 44 mag barrel was made, TC loaded a special, oversized shot capsule called "Hot Shots"

Found these pix on the web
    2965583_01_t_c_hotshot_44_mag_shotshells_640_zps942ad239.jpg
    2965583_02_t_c_hotshot_44_mag_shotshells_640_zpsecf43dfc.jpg
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking about.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Oh, man, are you lucky. And you also suck, pal!

Great gift and thanks for the photos. When you shoot this gift, post a report, okay?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    Very nice iron...what an amazing friend you have...anxiously awaiting range report....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Back when that 44 mag barrel was made, TC loaded a special, oversized shot capsule called "Hot Shots"
    Be careful, some jackass will think they are an ideal load for SD.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Buy some Lil'Gun.

Meh, gonna stick with H110. I use it in too many other cartridges to switch to something else.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Here is what I found from John Taffin, sounds like long range is the idea, scope it.

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt445sm.htm

Thanks!
    Weatherby wrote: »
    does this mean that Casull barrel may be needed ?........LOL

No, we will be stepping up from here.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    DUDE! You've just been handed the ideal launch platform for that 325 grain WFN! You're going to get a respectable bow-wave through meat off that thing from a .44 Mag. 1300FPS should be quite do-able from the new launch platform. Welcome to the next level! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_magnum

True. I just got 100 more of them in the mail yesterday.
    knitepoet wrote: »

Well, I don't see the .44 mag barrel getting much use, then. It has crude sights with limited use. Oh well.

The shot capsule cartridges are of no use to me.
    And thank all, for the kind words. I am blessed with friends and he is one of them.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    That is a really cool and nice gift, Congrats!

All I know is stuff like the JT article and what I used to read in gun rags about Dan Wesson revolver in .445 Super Mag caliber, mostly for silhouette shooters.

It should be right up your alley.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!