Home Main Category General Firearms

My Early Christmas Present.

2»

Replies

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I am assuming it shoots a .410?
    Nope.......was used with the long gone TC Hot Shots ........ https://www.joesalter.com/category/products/TC-Contender-44-cal-Hot-Shot-Ammo
    Weird ammo..........IIRC it was a big deal back in the day.......far better than the normal handgun shotshells of the age......I had some spare and sent some to Buffy for his cartridge collection.......
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,008 Senior Member
    Scope it!

Very nice gifts. You suck
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, we used to say the wind didn't blow, it Sucked on Fort Sill Oklahoma. That must be the case in Zee's neck of the woods too! Probably shows up on the local news weather forecast Doppler Radar as a phenomenon they can't explain every time he gets a new gun. :jester: :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,532 Senior Member
    :cool:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Zee, you suck more than Wendy from Breaking Bad. Congrats. Nice piece.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,400 Senior Member
    The vacuum of deep space is a high pressure zone by comparison to this thread!
    :yousuck::yousuck::yousuck:

Awesome!!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Well, we used to say the wind didn't blow, it Sucked on Fort Sill Oklahoma. That must be the case in Zee's neck of the woods too! Probably shows up on the local news weather forecast Doppler Radar as a phenomenon they can't explain every time he gets a new gun. :jester: :guns: :guns:
    Chief, when were you at Fort Sill? I spent 9 of my formative years growing up in Lawton. My father's last posting was at Sill. My parents still live in Lawton.
    Well, here she is, thrown together with what I had laying around.

(quick phone pic)
    IMG_4984_zps65dce9c0.jpg

It's not my first choice in scope color or brand. But, it's all I had lying around without a home. So, it'll last until it breaks or I get a new scope. Whichever comes first.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is awesome. I predict that scope breaks quickly.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    That is awesome. I predict that scope breaks quickly.

I do too.
    Especially if i can find load data for the 325gr WFN-GC bullets I want to use!!! Alas, I have been unable to find much data for bullets above 300gr. That sucks! I really want to launch the big ones out of this sucker.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Especially if i can find load data for the 325gr WFN-GC bullets I want to use!!! Alas, I have been unable to find much data for bullets above 300gr. That sucks! I really want to launch the big ones out of this sucker.

Looks like your .44 Magnum H110 range for a 325 is in the 19-22 grains ballpark.

Taffin tested Super Mag charges of H110 for a 300 and 310 grain slug running 29 to 32 grains: http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt445sm.htm

Hodgdon listed H110 charges for a Casull run 23 to 26 grains for a 325 and 335 grain bullet, and 21 to 24 for 360. Mind you, this is a slightly larger bore, so less pressure, which is why I included the 360 grainer, as it should have a similar bearing surface to a .429" 325 grainer

Seems like 25-27 grains would be a sane place to start for a 325 in your new toy. Quit when either your wrists or the case heads tell you to stop.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I'm skeered.

Like swimming in shark infested waters.

I'm running 22gr H110 in my .44 Mag with the 325gr bullets. A 3 grain step up seem a reasonable start point to you for the Super Mag case?
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    According to Quickload and a 300gr. XTP, 25gr of H-110 is well within safe limits. I personally think you would be safe with a 325 cast. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on one.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    So, load 1 round with 25.0gr H110 and increase .5gr with each additional round up to27.0gr. Fire each round and inspect the case until I find the top end, then back off a grain a start load development from there?

this is new territory for me, loading outside data. I need all the thoroughly explained help I can get. I only have 2 hands. Would prefer not to lose one.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,761 Senior Member
    WOW! Nice blaster!! You are lucky to have such a good friend!! Looking forward to some night time muzzle flash pics.
    This is 325gr of pure awesomeness!!!!

325grWFN-GCin445SuperMag1_zpsc2251f59.jpg

I made up a dummy round just now, trying to determine the needed COAL and not contact the lands. Looks like I will be able to seat the bullet to the top of the first lube ring and still get a heavy crimp. That will lower pressure and allow more room for powder, being able to seat it out that far.

I seated the bullet long and painted it with a black Sharpie. Then inserted it in the action and closed it. Removed the cartridge and looked for rifling marks. Repainted, seated deeper, and repeated until I no longer contacted the lands. I do not know how far off I am, but i seated a little deeper to gain a tad of insurance room.

Here it is next to a .44 mag with the same 325gr bullet.

325grWFN-GCin445SuperMag9_zps411bddbb.jpg

That sucker looks like a .460 S&W next to a .454 Casull as comparison!!!!

I will start load development next week or the following. I just wanted to see what they were going to look like.

Hehehehehehehehehehehe................
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    Wow! What a monster! Me.Want.
    So, load 1 round with 25.0gr H110 and increase .5gr with each additional round up to27.0gr. Fire each round and inspect the case until I find the top end, then back off a grain a start load development from there?

this is new territory for me, loading outside data. I need all the thoroughly explained help I can get. I only have 2 hands. Would prefer not to lose one.

There is a bit of educated guess voodoo here, but what you're after - to begin with - is a similar starting load density to your .44's. That is to say, about the same percentage of empty space in the case. You don't want a bunch of empty space because this can lead to burning too much, too fast (high pressure), and you don't want to start too close to the upper edge either. Off the top of my head, I don't know how bulky H110 is, but considering the range seen in similar food-group straight-wall cases, and that you are dealing with a hella-stout pistol, 25 grains should not be even close to rupturing anything but eardrums.

I think your top end will probably exceed 27 grains. When the primers start to flatten and/or the extraction gets sticky, you know you're close. I'd consider working up in two to three tenths increments myself. Half a grain at a time is a pretty big hike in the lower volume / higher burn rate territory of pistol rounds.
    WWJMBD?

You think I should start at 27gr and go up .3 at a time from there?
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Wow! What a monster! Me.Want.
    The ladies say that to me quite often.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,809 Senior Member
    That's freakin' awesom! I want to see a fireball pic from that one!!!
    Jay wrote: »
    That's freakin' awesom! I want to see a fireball pic from that one!!!

Oh, there will be pics.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is a beautiful sledge hammer.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    You think I should start at 27gr and go up .3 at a time from there?

Perhaps. I found another source for 300 grain jacketed data starting at 24.6 and maxing at 29.1. I'd start at 25 and go up .3 at a time. You've got more bullet inside the case than with the 300's we have data for. pressure with lead usually peaks faster, but also drops quicker once the bullet swages to the bore. Also, consider that revolver data is not going to be 100% transferable. You don't have the long throat, cylinder gap, and forcing cone in a Contender - being closer to the lands at the start, I'm thinking you'll build pressures a little more quickly in this thing, so no harm in starting conservative. Max load? Anyone's guess really. Let the gun and the brass tell you.

If you've got a Nosler manual handy, look at their H110 load density figures for some of the hotter rounds that use it. Their website is pretty skimpy, but what little they've posted indicates that this powder likes to be run with fairly full cases and even compressed loads for some rounds

Don't panic buddy! You're not totally out of sight of the reservation.
    WWJMBD?

• Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Iron and suckage is your middle name.