Home Main Category Hunting

Need a new game camera- suggestions?

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,041 Senior Member
It seems that we had some trespassers/ poachers come on to the lease in the past week. Stole the game cameras from both my feeder and my brother's as well.

Looking for suggestions on cams with good quality images, good IR, fast first shot time, and lock box capability. Suggestions?
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Man that sucks! Wish I could help you out but I haven't bought a game camera in years.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,186 Senior Member
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I have several friends that use the Wildgame Innovations. Reasonable and work good.
    I would find a non working camera and place it conspicuously. Then hide another one....

That is in the plans. I have a dead camera already.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 715 Senior Member
    Dicks has the cuddle back irs on sale for $99.00.
  • NRANRA Member Posts: 112 Member
    Sucks folks cannot respect other peoples property. I hope I see a day in this country, we get property rights back again. If you get my drift.
    NRA Golden Eagles Benefactor Life CRSO Pistol Instructor RSO CP PPITH CPPOTH RTBAV
    Glocks 19cutaway 20 20SF 21cutaway 21C 22C 23C 27 32 34 22LR 460 Glock Certified Armorer
    Nebraska Concealed Carry Instructor, 32 years CC Experience, Retired FFL Dealer
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »

That is an interesting option. I could easily hide that remote box in a hard to find spot.

Any one else have any suggestions?

As an aside- The county sheriff's office is taking this very seriously, and have actually gone to the lease and are taking fingerprints from our dry boxes that were also raided when the cameras were stolen. There were various blankets and stuff taken, along with a machete taken from my blind. I am actually very surprised and pleased that they are going to these lengths for what amounts to just a few hundred dollars of stuff stolen from the woods.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I have several friends that use the Wildgame Innovations. Reasonable and work good.
    I would find a non working camera and place it conspicuously. Then hide another one....

That's what I use, too. They work great, for $69 or so.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,186 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    That is an interesting option. I could easily hide that remote box in a hard to find spot.

As an aside- The county sheriff's office is taking this very seriously, and have actually gone to the lease and are taking fingerprints from our dry boxes that were also raided when the cameras were stolen. There were various blankets and stuff taken, along with a machete taken from my blind. I am actually very surprised and pleased that they are going to these lengths for what amounts to just a few hundred dollars of stuff stolen from the woods.

I thought you could link 2 or 3 of the Spypoint cameras total to one "server", so to speak.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    M181A Claymore 1 trespassers 0. :yikes:
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    When you replace the cameras, take a ladder with you and mount them out of reach. One mounted like that pointed towards your dummy camera would be a good idea........Robin :up:
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

That is very pleasing to hear. Inevitably, th idiots who do this sort o thing turn up eventually in some other petty crime. When they do, they will also get hit with charges from your case.

The wireless cameras are THE ticket for not only catching game, but catching a prospective thief. By the time they realize that they've stolen a remote camera, their images have already been sent to the server box. Another great option are the cameras that use cell tower technology and a pre-paid phonecard to send pics to your email/cell phone. Then the theives are really screwed because there is zero chance to go back and try to find the memory unit: the images are already in your posession. The big catch is those cameras usually have very slow image re-set times - sometimes up to a minute - when used to remotely send images due to the file sizes involved in the data transfer.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    You guys are just so mean and hard hearted! Drugs cost money, where else they going to get a loan they won't have to pay back???

:silly:....................:angry:....................:rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »

My God! That thing could De Nut Godzilla!!!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    That is very pleasing to hear. Inevitably, th idiots who do this sort o thing turn up eventually in some other petty crime. When they do, they will also get hit with charges from your case.

The wireless cameras are THE ticket for not only catching game, but catching a prospective thief. By the time they realize that they've stolen a remote camera, their images have already been sent to the server box. Another great option are the cameras that use cell tower technology and a pre-paid phonecard to send pics to your email/cell phone. Then the theives are really screwed because there is zero chance to go back and try to find the memory unit: the images are already in your posession. The big catch is those cameras usually have very slow image re-set times - sometimes up to a minute - when used to remotely send images due to the file sizes involved in the data transfer.

I had left a machete I had built in my blind for clearing shooting lanes. It was stolen as well- but since it is very unique and hand made, if they are caught with it, it's a smoking gun. It's not like a game camera that they could have bought anywhere.

The bigger problem with the cell cameras is the cost- $300 for something I'll be leaving in the woods!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Teach wrote: »

While that is tempting, (especially if we had a game camera pointed at it), the cows on the lease might not appreciate it!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I had three Primos TruthCam 46's several years ago that worked fine for almost a year and then started consuming batteries really fast. I bought them on a friend's recommendation as he had good luck with his two and his batteries would last several months and several thousand pictures. All three of mine were going dead in a week or two with only a few hundred pictures. I sent them back to Primos and they replaced them with the TruthCam ultra 46's and I've never had a problem with them yet. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of the ultra models but I would avoid the regular models. Three out of three having issues doesn't speak highly of them and I see refurbished one's available on several websites.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,949 Senior Member
    Cows wouldnt like it and the theives and trespassers (redundant) would sue your doo dads off after you got out of jail.

It would be awfuly nice if a accepted defense was that if the scumbag wasnt breaking the law and stealing stuff or the use of property there was absoultley no way he could have gotten hurt, but that isnt the way the lawyers see it. In PA ATV's (annoying tresspassing vehicles) have gotten a lot of land posted. Mine included. I can REALLY see the reason why some folks would put a nail board down, but it is illeagle for a non badged civilian to use a strip to stop a vehicle.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Cows wouldnt like it and the theives and trespassers (redundant) would sue your doo dads off after you got out of jail.

It would be awfuly nice if a accepted defense was that if the scumbag wasnt breaking the law and stealing stuff or the use of property there was absoultley no way he could have gotten hurt, but that isnt the way the lawyers see it. In PA ATV's (annoying tresspassing vehicles) have gotten a lot of land posted. Mine included. I can REALLY see the reason why some folks would put a nail board down, but it is illeagle for a non badged civilian to use a strip to stop a vehicle.

And that right there is a big part of the problem or maybe a symptom of the Real problem. We have gone stupid on criminal's rights and almost totally ignored Victim's rights. Traps on property can harm the innocent if someone would get lost and come upon your property by accident. But if you have proper warning signs about the place where anyone with a fourth a brain could figure out that he/she might should vacate the premesis because of the dangers therein, then it should by all rights of common sense be legal to put these preventative measures on your own property. I can't recall the case but there was a famous case that dealt with traps being set on a person's property to keep people off. If I'm correct, I believe there were warning signs posted. But when a scumbag tried to break into a house on the property when no one was there, he got injured and he sued the landowner and won the case, setting this stupid precedence.

I wish I had some property like this that I owned. I always thought that if I did, I'd just put some signs up all around the parimeter fence that said, "This property mined. Enter at your own risk."

Now the cows is a totally different issue.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    There was a hidey-hole down the road from us that was really popular with poachers as a place to hide their vehicles, because they knew the owner of the property was an out-of-state resident who had no idea who was using his land. It seems the access point into the field became a favorite spot to dump pointy pieces of scrap iron, for some unknown reason!
    Jerry
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I've had places over the years and eventually they were all, sooner or later, vandalized, burned down, or otherwise trashed. Cops do nothing. The only thing I've noticed keeps these problems to a minimum is to show a frequent precense. Don't leave the place unattended all Summer. Don't be easy to pattern. Spend a night occasionally. Have a shooting weekend. Ride or walk the property lines out. Check in with the neighbors.

I'm convinced these tactics helped keep my last few places relatively unmolested.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    I've had places over the years and eventually they were all, sooner or later, vandalized, burned down, or otherwise trashed. Cops do nothing. The only thing I've noticed keeps these problems to a minimum is to show a frequent precense. Don't leave the place unattended all Summer. Don't be easy to pattern. Spend a night occasionally. Have a shooting weekend. Ride or walk the property lines out. Check in with the neighbors.

I'm convinced these tactics helped keep my last few places relatively unmolested.

That is actually why we got this lease. The owner of the land was leasing it to a friend for cattle access. When the land owner contracted a guy to go in and cut out all the cedar, the cutter asked him halfway through the job "What do you want me to do with the hunting blinds?" Well, no one was supposed to be hunting on there, so he told him to run them over with the tractor.
    The owner then asked my friend if he knew anyone that would like to go out there with guns a lot, hunt, walk around, shoot, etc... Of course he did :)

It worked for about 7 years now.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov