Home Main Category Clubhouse

How to waste $70k on a vehicle

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
I came across this little article on the Fox site:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/11/25/filson-and-aev-dress-up-jeep-wrangler/?intcmp=features

Apparently, instead of spending a few bucks on a fairly okay Jeep Wrangler (not a perfect vehicle but lots of folks like them), you can instead spend tons a bucks on a "fotched on" (as my Grandma used to say) version, lipstick on a pig, as I see it. Not that I don't like pigs, particularly as ham or bacon.

So after blowing $70k on this Wrangler, instead of driving 23 mph down the street, hogging both lanes of traffic and also taking 2 parking spots at WallyWorld, you can now do exactly the same thing but feel fancified about it.

Wrangler fans -- your opinion?

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Why not? Why own a Weatherby when a Remington will do the same thing. If you can afford it go for it.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    If I was gonna spend 70 grand on a vehicle it sure as hell wouldn't be a Jeep.

:jester::jester::jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    So you don't have use for one. Don't buy one; simple decision. And that stretched Jeep Wrangler takes up less space in the parking lot than my 4WD Dodge 2500 diesel pickup, which, like the Wrangler, is a purpose built vehicle. The Wrangler makes more sense than a $250,000 Lambo or Ferrari that can't be driven to it's design specs legally except on a race track.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    Meh. If it doesn't have flat fenders, it ain't a real Jeep!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Yulee BoyYulee Boy Member Posts: 37 Member
    This is more what I want... the Brute!!

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/06/13/quick-spin-american-expedition-vehicles-brute-double-cab/

If I had the money I would blow it on that in a HEARTBEAT

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:
    "There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily." - George Washington
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Yep.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series/range

I think: Can Toyota just start importing their REAL Land Cruisers with solid axles and diesel motors into the US? The Wrongler is no competition.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    $70K for an SUV? Why not? As long as it says Mercedes Benz, BMW, Porsche, Cadillac, Lincoln, or Land Rover on it.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    [h=2]How to waste $70k on a vehicle[/h]
    Where is the waste?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I came across this little article on the Fox site:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/11/25/filson-and-aev-dress-up-jeep-wrangler/?intcmp=features

Apparently, instead of spending a few bucks on a fairly okay Jeep Wrangler (not a perfect vehicle but lots of folks like them), you can instead spend tons a bucks on a "fotched on" (as my Grandma used to say) version, lipstick on a pig, as I see it. Not that I don't like pigs, particularly as ham or bacon.

So after blowing $70k on this Wrangler, instead of driving 23 mph down the street, hogging both lanes of traffic and also taking 2 parking spots at WallyWorld, you can now do exactly the same thing but feel fancified about it.

Wrangler fans -- your opinion?

For that kind of dough, I'd take a Corvette....not a Chrysler product.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    It's a mall jeep. Only beefed up slightly. One could build a FAR more capable rig for WAY less money.

I'm with you on that statement, More capable and a boatload less money. By starting with a better platform, say an early Bronco.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    It's a mall jeep. Only beefed up slightly. One could build a FAR more capable rig for WAY less money.
    :this:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    For that kind of dough, I'd take a Corvette....not a Chrysler product.

Have to disagree with that, make mine a Viper.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series/range

I think: Can Toyota just start importing their REAL Land Cruisers with solid axles and diesel motors into the US? The Wrongler is no competition.

Yes please.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member

Great! The term "mall jeep" is perfect! Thanks, an excellent vehicle for mall ninjas to drive slowly in.

Seriously, if someone wanted a rugged and powerful vehicle (truck or SUV or jeep-ish vehicle) there are plenty of better choices for a lot less money. tenn and his Dodge are just one example.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Yes please.

Count me in as well.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Great! The term "mall jeep" is perfect! Thanks, an excellent vehicle for mall ninjas to drive slowly in.

Seriously, if someone wanted a rugged and powerful vehicle (truck or SUV or jeep-ish vehicle) there are plenty of better choices for a lot less money. tenn and his Dodge are just one example.

Yet again Sam disagrees. Now we must destroy them all.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Be sure to spring for the V8 cause the V6 doesn't pull those big tires worth a dang. :driving: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Yet again Sam disagrees. Now we must destroy them all.

Huh? Disagrees with whom? In the posting you quoted, I AGREED with cpj and tennmike. Duh.

Most here seem to regard that specific Jeep that I posted the link to as being, as cpj said, a "mall jeep" and not really something that jeep fanciers would really enjoy -- I'm just guessing here but they'd rather put the extra money into quality performance and handling gear rather than a "gussied up" leather interior with tassles.
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    Anyone who has looked at the Filson website lately knows how te prices for thier offerings hae shot through the roof. I imagine the person who buys that stuff would have
    no issue spending that money for the Jeep.
  • NRANRA Member Posts: 112 Member
    Ill keep mine. F-550, 17" lift, 24.5 Alcoa Michelin wheels tires, 100% non stock diesel engine, 5" stainless dual exhaust. 3 row seating, 6' box extends to 12' easily, no tools, 12,000 wench. RanchHand bumpers. 5 remote GoLights

15722807658_f15cc3fa41_c.jpg
    NRA Golden Eagles Benefactor Life CRSO Pistol Instructor RSO CP PPITH CPPOTH RTBAV
    Glocks 19cutaway 20 20SF 21cutaway 21C 22C 23C 27 32 34 22LR 460 Glock Certified Armorer
    Nebraska Concealed Carry Instructor, 32 years CC Experience, Retired FFL Dealer
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    12,000 wench?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 810 Senior Member
    Land Rover has a new Range Rover that starts at $84k and goes up to $137k.

I need to crack open my 401k, if I want to buy an these overpriced SUVs.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    12,000 wench?

I don't think I could handle 12,000 wenches. A half dozen, maybe..........................when I was younger..........
    ..............and more foolish.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    12,000 wench?
    That's a heavy gal!

12,000 wench?

12,000 pound wench. To recover yourself, you need to be able to pull your own weight. Truck is 11,000 pounds. Great wench scene in the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy".
    NRA Golden Eagles Benefactor Life CRSO Pistol Instructor RSO CP PPITH CPPOTH RTBAV
    Glocks 19cutaway 20 20SF 21cutaway 21C 22C 23C 27 32 34 22LR 460 Glock Certified Armorer
    12,000 wench?
    12,000 pound winch. To recover yourself, you need to be able to pull your own weight. Truck is 11,000 pounds. Great winch scene in the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy".
    58 years old, and still cannot master the English language.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member

Actually, the correct term is "Mall-Terrain Vehicle"
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    12,000 wench?

A polite way of saying that his girlfriend is no spring chicken any more. ha ha