Home Main Category General Firearms

Reloading scale...

Bill M.Bill M. MemberPosts: 65 Member
Sad day. I broke my Lymans M5 scale I have been using since 1967. I need to replace it. What say ye, should I get another beam type or go for an digital. One that looks good is the Lyman 2000 with the little tricolor on it. Anybody use a 2000?

Replies

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I use a RCBS charge master and dispenser. I would never voluntarily go back to a beam scale. I have never used the Lyman 2000.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    If you go the RCBS charge master route........you'll be glad the Lyman broke
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    I've considered electronic scales/dispensers for years, but I can't get away from hand pouring and hand weighing powder.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    I prefer electronic scales. I would consider a RCBS Chargemaster, if I had the money, but I don't load enough precision rifle ammo at this point to make it worthwhile. For handguns and high volume plinking .223, a digital scale does just fine by me.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    I use an older Dillon electronic with a powder trickler, still have some beam scales, but never use the them

The electronic scales are much faster and easier to use.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    I have a Chargemaster, and also have a balance scale and an electronic scale. The electronic scale cost $11, IIRC, from Ebay, and it quite accurate. It's for range use where a little bit of wind will make a balance scale unworkable and there is no electricity for the Chargemaster.

The balance beam scale is for working up loads on my powder thrower. I like to "work up" the load and feel it tells me a lot about the load watching the balance pointer creep up the marker. It also indicates the amount of turns you put on the powder thrower equals the amount of change in the charge weight. Someone more anal than I would record the settings for future reference.

The Chargemaster is very good, but it's also very slow compared to a powder thrower. They were a lot cheaper when I bought mine. I got a Midway brochure today and saw they were on sale, but I didn't catch the price.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,281 Senior Member
    There are a few of us on here that are using the Lyman DPS http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/scales-measures/1200-DPS.php Mine is a DPS 2 and it has been pumping out powder for a while, like 13 years ish. Only complaint is due to the weather and humidity (or lack of it) in the winter with forced air, it got a little finicky with static. Rubbing it with a dryer sheet solved the problem. Makes the mancave smell fresh to.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Bill M.Bill M. Member Posts: 65 Member
    I ordered a Lyman 2000. Will report on it next week when I get it. No particular reason for picking that one. Some good reviews. Some bad reviews. I sorta liked the trickler mounted on it. I also looked at the Gem Pro with the .001 gm display but do not feel that level of precision is really needed. I know from lab work that even 01 gm weightings are affected by air currents, etc. I am weighing 40 and 50 grain loads for the most part. I have a Reddington powder dropper but usually just use one of the Lee dippers to get the initial light drop and trickle a little in. All of my 4 and 5 grain pistol loads and 13 to 17 grain shotgun loads are dropped from bushings so all I am doing there is checking the bushing drops and can do it in batches of 5 or so if I really need the precision. Usually I just weight a couple to verify that I have the right bushing in.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    This thread has me looking again.

RCBS Chargemaster, Hornady Auto Charge, and Lyman Gen 6.

The RCBS is now about 5 years old and costs more than the other systems. I can get an RCBS for about $250 after rebates. Hornady about $190 and Lyman Gen 6 about $180 delivered.

What to do? Is the five year old RCBS technology still the best?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    This thread has me looking again. What to do? Is the five year old RCBS technology still the best? D

If it aint broke, why try to fix it ? On the other hand if ya just want a new scale, just get it.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    Yea, they do have small computers in them, but they don't need much technology to do what they do. 5 years ago, it wasn't much of a stretch.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Bill M.Bill M. Member Posts: 65 Member
    Got the new Lyman 2000 today. I use it to charge 20 6mm cases. 43 gr IMR4350. I think I like it. A negative is how very lightweight it is. Put in on a granite surface plate I had lying around and that helps keep it still and level. Lyman says it is accurate to 1/10 grain. I tried it with some 85 grain Speer bullets. 85 grains right on and it stayed accurate as I added them 1 at a time. So it is linear and accurate. It seems to function perfectly and hold a steady zero. The question comes when I weighed the charges, put them in the case, and them came back and dumped a couple back in the pan and re weighed them. Most times I was 1/10 grain high. I am guessing that the true repeatability of this thing is more like plus or minus a bit more than a grain, which sorta makes it 0.2 grain accuracy in my book. Does anybody know how close is close enough? How much does a slight variation affect groups? I am guessing that if the gun groups it groups. I fixed my beam scale with some JB weld and a little balance wire. I checked a couple of charges with my beam scale. I suspect the digital is as about as precise or maybe slightly more precise. I suspect I am more accurate using the digital since it flashes those big numbers up when you go a little too far, easy to ignore on the beam.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    I think your scale is accurate as advertised. And a tenth of a grain isn't much of a difference if you're not loading to the max. Unless Lyman has improved their instructions by a whole lot, the instructions are pretty well useless. I say this having owned dies, a case trimmer, and a lube sizer, which made no sense at all.

When you first posted this, I looked up the 2000 and saw some good reviews on it. One guy who was enthusiastic about it posted a favorable review but said it had quirks. Here's some of the things he said which might affect your scale, too.

Here's what he said, for what it's worth:

"First Quirk - the scale pad is magnetic sensitive. If you hold your hand over it, and you have a static charge, you will effect the reading.
    Second quirk - IT IS VERY SENSITIVE! Blowing on it will register a weight value. Vibrations will register a weight value (I discovered this as my wife walked by).
    Third Quirk - The scale pad likes to be "LEVEL"! After I leveled it, during my tests, I decided to try it "unleveled", it made a big difference! Also, this quirk pertains to where you place whatever it is to be weighed. At the front, things are lighter, at the back, things are heavier, UNLESS, you pay attention to the fourth quirk.
    The Fourth (and most important) quirk - Let it settle between weightings! When you weigh something, after it has determined it has reached the exact value for that object, the Grain/Gram symbol will blink once. This goes for when you place something on it, AND when you remove something from it, and it returns to Zero. If you try and weigh different things quickly, it doesn't like it! I believe it has to do with it determining if the scale arm (under the pad) is finished moving. So, let it settle, and watch for the blink! And I noticed the more I used it, the more reliable it became. Maybe the arm needed to be "Broke in".
    After the 2 hour test, after I found its quirks, I was able to get the exact same results, time after time, with the Quarter, the Pencil, and the empty cartridge, even after I unplugged it, moved it, leveled it, and calibrated it.

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend."
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    I went electronic 10 years back, but I still keep my beam scale packed safely away for when the power goes and stays out for a spell.... I'm currently using a PACT powder dispenser and scale combo...next upgrade will be to a Chargemaster....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"