Home Main Category General Firearms

My newest project gun

Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior MemberPosts: 6,083 Senior Member
Saturday 11-29 one side of my family had our turkey day get together. When the weather is nice enough we will shoot clays. I came out of the shoot with this.
20141130_170657_zps7ok6cem5.jpg

Unfortunately it belongs to my Grandmother's husband Jim. He left it with me for a thorough cleaning. It would not eject the bulk pack shells we were using. I don't know when it was used regularly last but it has been quite a while. The lube is thick and sticky.

20141130_170619_zpswcsuleha.jpg

20141130_170735_zpsahlvep8_edit_1417390150258_zpscodwx65t.jpg

The butt stock could stand to be replaced but I won't touch it. Jim's Grandfather bought the gun many moons ago. The stuff wrong with the butt stock is memories for his family.

20141130_170718_zpsbifyfaem.jpg

20141130_170703_zpsqod0e311.jpg
I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
Dad 5-31-13

Replies

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    If it was Winchester then that crap won't cycle in anything. That crap broke the extractor in my 835. I won't put that in anything!!! You can get Federal for the same price and it works.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    That is a pert nice piece. Sounds like a fun project, working on a piece of history.

HvyMax wrote: »
    If it was Winchester then that crap won't cycle in anything. That crap broke the extractor in my 835. I won't put that in anything!!! You can get Federal for the same price and it works.
    They cycle my Moss. 930 fine.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have a Stoeger M3000 semi auto that does not like the bulk pack ammo. A stiff cleaning and good ammo will have it running like a Singer.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    I'm far from an expert on Model 11s, even though my Dad and Grandfather both hunted extensively with the same one, but I believe that how the friction rings are put in the shotgun also makes a difference.
    Overkill is underrated.
    From what I watched on YouTube this morning the compression and friction rings make all the difference.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,759 Senior Member
    Another Browning design...Those old Model 11s are a nice old shotguns. Quite a few of them out there. We have one somewhere in the family as well. Savage even made a humpback design (the 720 IIRC) but didn't execute it as well as Browning and Remington.. it didn't fare as well as the Remington as it had a tendency to fracture through the receiver...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,049 Senior Member
    Nice looking heirloom firearm.

Might pay to polish up the chamber...........Any roughness/rust/gunk can cause fired cases to 'stick' to the chambers walls and slow down the speed that it 'cycles' at.

Some fine steel wool wrapped around a piece of wooden dowel in the end of a drill will do it......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    That's a beautiful old shotgun there. The compression and friction rings can wear and cause problems. So can oil on the surfaces they ride on. When you get it running right, it's just magic!

I have my Dad's Rem. Model 11. It could use some minor stock repair, but I just can't make myself do it. Lots of memories came with that shotgun, and I just can't cover them up. Too many quail, dove, and duck hunts stored away in my memory. It's still tight and shoots well with the old style paper hulls, and the card and fiber wads that I load for it. It was fitted with a Cutts Compensator with screw-in choke tubes for as long as I remember seeing it, and that's a long time. I'm glad Federal still makes the paper hulls; they aren't cheap, but some things are just worth doing right. My old Rem. 878 semi-auto with the same style Cutts Compensator shoots best with them, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    I shot maybe half a dozen rounds through the Model 11. The recoil impulse is as different from my Stoeger M3000 as the Stoeger is from my Mossberg 500. Feeling and hearing the barrel move was really cool. It helped that I smashed every clay They threw for me with the Model 11.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    I'm far from an expert on Model 11s, even though my Dad and Grandfather both hunted extensively with the same one, but I believe that how the friction rings are put in the shotgun also makes a difference.

Yes, they're put in differently for low-brass or high-brass loads. Had the same problem with my 1950's A-5.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Saturday 11-29 one side of my family had our turkey day get together. When the weather is nice enough we will shoot clays. I came out of the shoot with this.
    20141130_170657_zps7ok6cem5.jpg

Unfortunately it belongs to my Grandmother's husband Jim. He left it with me for a thorough cleaning. It would not eject the bulk pack shells we were using. I don't know when it was used regularly last but it has been quite a while. The lube is thick and sticky.

20141130_170619_zpswcsuleha.jpg

20141130_170735_zpsahlvep8_edit_1417390150258_zpscodwx65t.jpg

The butt stock could stand to be replaced but I won't touch it. Jim's Grandfather bought the gun many moons ago. The stuff wrong with the butt stock is memories for his family.

20141130_170718_zpsbifyfaem.jpg

20141130_170703_zpsqod0e311.jpg

Is that a Browning A-5 or a Remington 11? Oops! never mind I see. I can just barely make out Mod. 11 on the bolt. They're both excellent guns. My BIL has an old Remington Mod. 11, which is nothing but a Browning Auto 5 with a couple less features. It was his dads and my BIL is 75 years old, so you know that gun has been around the block. The boys used it and one of them must have shot it with a mud plugged barrel or tried steel shot in it, because it was a full choke, and it split at the end. But all they need to is take it to a good Gun Smith and have him lob of a couple inches and put on a cuts compensator or something equivelent for a choke. Either that or have it threaded for some Briarly chokes.

Anyway, an Auto 5 is a fine gun. Do it proud and fix that dude. Maybe your Grandmother's husband will will it to you.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake...

Did you notice that in the first picture it says "Model 11" on the bolt, and in the third picture it says "Remington" on the left side of the receiver?

Those would be what folks call clues.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Snake...

Did you notice that in the first picture it says "Model 11" on the bolt, and in the third picture it says "Remington" on the left side of the receiver?

Those would be what folks call clues.

Bream, re-read my post, I did notice those later and edited it. But forgive me for having older eyes than yours. I had to look at the pics a couple of times. The markings didn't really jump out at you.

I changed glasses and it is a bit clearer, but still had to strain a little to make it out in both pics.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Bream, re-read my post, I did notice those later and edited it. But forgive me for having older eyes than yours. I had to look at the pics a couple of times. The markings didn't really jump out at you.
    I posted before you added the correction....
    Overkill is underrated.
    I posted before you added the correction....

No Prob, but it's hell to get old. But it's better than the alternative.

I can still see very good at distance, but up close and personal really sucks nowadays. But what's almost as bad is losing your hearing. That's why I preach Hearing Protection. Damn Hearing Aids are expensive and not near as good as good ears.
    This is one reason the older people get, the grouchier they are.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    My old eyes also spotted that there is no magazine cut-off lever on the left side. Heck of a nice gun you have there. That magazine cut-off feature was nice, you can change the shell in the chamber without unloading all the rest.
    From what I've read, the magazine cutoff was available only on the Browning Auto-5, not the Remington Model 11. I believe that's one of the features Snake mentioned the Remington as missing.
    Overkill is underrated.
    snake284 wrote: »

Anyway, an Auto 5 is a fine gun. Do it proud and fix that dude. Maybe your Grandmother's husband will will it to you.

While I do want an A5 or Model 11 I have no desire to own this one. This should stay with Jim's family. I just happen to be the gun guy, so I get to clean clean neat old pieces like this. I give them a thorough function test as well.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Just looked up the serial number. The numbers I have found say this gun dates to 1946.
    Dad 5-31-13