Pics of my Last Doe

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,803 Senior Member
I promised I would show pics of that last doe I killed with my .257 AI. Here they are:

This is the deer before skinning:

IMG_0809_zps8b8502d8.jpg

IMG_0810_zpsf82d7638.jpg

IMG_0811_zps2fdbcff3.jpg

I stuck this wooden spoon in the entry hole. I still don't know how I hit that low and to the left.

IMG_0812_zps0981b721.jpg

Same pic with arrow showing where I was aiming.

744adf79-059f-4cc9-a9d3-fa6c0d83ea7e_zps82272be6.jpg

Another angle on where I was aiming.

c1d1d5bd-1ea0-4977-b22b-81e103f38f5c_zpsef558583.jpg

That barefooted surgeon at work.

IMG_0817_zpsf5dbbcd5.jpg

More skinning

IMG_0818_zps28c7a9bb.jpg

IMG_0816_zps1ac646ac.jpg

Blayne, his dad Bobbie, and the surgeon Fe

IMG_0819_zps2e5e2286.jpg

When I told her she was known on the forum for skinning barefoot she at least put on her flip flops.
IMG_0821_zpsff5db22b.jpg

Here's the hind quarter I hit. She actually saved some meat off of it, though not much. That Combined Technologies Ballistic Tip 115 grain bullet coming out of the barrel at 3000 FPS did a number on this ham when it hit the bone. Mind you, this wasn't but about a 40 yard shot, so it still had a lot of velocity when it hit.

IMG_0823_zps68053cd6.jpg

Give a Filipino a Machete or a Bolo knife, not much difference, either a man or woman, and stand back. The blood, meat and bone are gonna fly!

IMG_0830_zpsdc6f1e6d.jpg

IMG_0828_zps3480f7dd.jpg

IMG_0827_zpsbcf49ddd.jpg

IMG_0826_zpsccfb87c3.jpg

That's about it for now.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    Interesting way to skin a deer.

Probably get drummed out of town for doing it that way in these parts.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Nice job on that hind leg, you better stick with your .270.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,545 Senior Member
    Don't they call that a Texas heart shot?:tooth:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,545 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »

When I was a kid in Wisconsin, that's the way my folks cleaned a deer as we didn't have a place to hang it and it was cold outside. I'm glad that she cut it up to use all of it. We always used every scrap of meat also. When I started hunting in Alabama, the first time I cleaned a deer at the camp every one sat around drinking beer and making fun of me for trimming off the neck meat and when I cut the ribs off they really started roaring. Most of the members of the club only kept the backstrap and hind quarters.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Snake, your mailbox is full. Interesting thing with the spoon there. Kinky, but interesting.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    When I was a kid in Wisconsin, that's the way my folks cleaned a deer as we didn't have a place to hang it and it was cold outside. I'm glad that she cut it up to use all of it. We always used every scrap of meat also. When I started hunting in Alabama, the first time I cleaned a deer at the camp every one sat around drinking beer and making fun of me for trimming off the neck meat and when I cut the ribs off they really started roaring. Most of the members of the club only kept the backstrap and hind quarters.
    I use it all, also.

I have found them dumped in the woods with what would have been good useable meat still on the carcass, probably a result of 5 or more tags in some places.

A lot of people at happy to get a set of ribs and the shanks.

Neck, now that is good for crocking.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    It wasn't intentional to be a Texas Heart Shot. The deer was going away slightly quartering to the right. If you look at the pictures with the arrows you'll see what I intended to hit. I couldn't believe that hit where it did at first. I figured it hit a bone elsewhere and turned the bullet around and I figured it came out the leg. But when we skinned it, or rather SHE skinned it, I saw the truth. It went in where the spoon was and hit the main ham bone destroying a lot of it and came out below.

The only time I ever purposely made a Texas Heart Shot was on a hog. I shot it in the butt with my 30-06 and the 200 grain Game King went the whole length of the body and came out the front below the neck.

On this deer I was aiming higher up on the right side going away, trying to slip one between the ribs. All I can figure is that the portable blind was rocking back and fourth and the deer was bobbing its butt along up and down headed away from me toward the mot of trees. I don't think I pulled the shot. I was relatively calm and it was just a doe, meat on the hoof. But then again strange things can happen when we're hunting. But that was definitely my shot so the devil made me do it.

:nono:....................:yikes:....................:rotflmao:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Hey, if you think that's weird, you should see ME skin one. I do it with my car. I cape it down to the front shoulder, then put a golf ball under the hide and tie a rope around it. I hang the deer by the neck from a tree and wrap the other end of the rope that's tied around the golf ball to my trailer hitch and drive off. The hide strips right off clean as a whistle. I have a pic of me doing this if I can find it.
    Here's a couple of pics showing me skinning a deer with my car. The first one you can see that I skinned it down from the neck and the front legs.

IMG_0221_zpsc22247da.jpg

The second is after I drove the car forward about 10 feet pulling the hide off the body in one smooth motion. It's not totally a snap because you still have to start skinning from the neck down past the front legs, but once you do that it gets real easy.

IMG_0224_zps2b6d1bc9.jpg

It's not only easier, it's also a lot cleaner and you don't have near as much hair on the meat to clean off.
    Snake, your mailbox is full. Interesting thing with the spoon there. Kinky, but interesting.

OK Brudah I flushed the toilet so you should be good to go with IMs again.
    Nice job on that hind leg, you better stick with your .270.

I can't recall off hand what the BC and SD of the Combined Technologies 115 grain Ballistic Silvertip bullets are as opposed to the Sierra Game King 130 grain .277s are, but I'd bet they're comparable and close to equal. I have killed two deer with this .257, and I've only shot at two with it so it's got a good record. But it's not the guns fault on this last deer, that's my fault. But hey, what can we say? It worked. it was just a little unorthodox in the method it killed. The first deer I killed with it was a bang flop dead shot in the upper back over the front shoulder. This .257 AI with this load is a regular death ray to deer if I do my part.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    I used Ballistic Silvertips by Combined Technologies years ago, all it is is a black and silver nosler ballistic tip. They were way too explosive for me on Mulies and antelope...regardless of where you hit the animal they left too much destruction. They sure were accurate however. I quit using them after that,I went to Barnes X bullets and have stayed there.
    I use it all, also.

I have found them dumped in the woods with what would have been good useable meat still on the carcass, probably a result of 5 or more tags in some places.

A lot of people at happy to get a set of ribs and the shanks.

Neck, now that is good for crocking.

Hey, that's what stuff like sausage, Chili, and Hamburger are all about. That's just Crazy lazy to throw it away. If you go on a TPWD hunt, sometimes the game wardens will make you keep every part, ribs and all. I've seen some people try to throw everything away but the back strap and hams and the game warden made them take it back out of the trash and put in their ice chests.

I know most of these people probably threw that meat away when they got home, but the wardens made them take it with them at least.

Everything on the deer gets used at this house. Anything that won't be good as steak or BBQ is going to be jerky, sausage, or hamburger. It won't see the trash can, not at this house, Fe and I both don't believe in throwing away meat. There's an old saying about a pig, that the only part of a pig that can't be used is the squeal. Well, deer are about the same.

Edited to Add: And think of the message you send to your kids. Here you are trying to teach your kids how to hunt and be ethical, but you turn around and throw half the deer away? That's just a shame.
    I used Ballistic Silvertips by Combined Technologies years ago, all it is is a black and silver nosler ballistic tip. They were way too explosive for me on Mulies and antelope...regardless of where you hit the animal they left too much destruction. They sure were accurate however. I quit using them after that,I went to Barnes X bullets and have stayed there.

Hey, I tend to agree with you for the most part. But they don't seem to blow up as bad if you miss large bones. That first deer I shot with one it went in between ribs and wrecked only the innards, and not too much meat. But my personal favorite bullet of all time is the Sierra Game King and also the Pro Hunter. Heck, I've killed deer with Match Kings in my old .308 and it wasn't as frangible as the NBT. Sierras aren't fancy or expensive, but they just work, kinda like Core Lokts and Power Points. They hold together just well enough to get through the skin and light bone and then expand enough in the boiler room and wreck enough innards to put the deer or hog down for the count.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »

As long as you get the skin off the meat I don't guess there's a right or wrong way. We don't have any tree's left because we cut them down, or at least the ones I used to use for skinning animals. They were out front and leaves got all over the boat and cars so we cut it down. Fe just throws em down on the deck in back or on that table in the picture and start ripping off skin. It works for her. I use the car to skin my deer if she's not around, and that works for me,

:tooth:
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Don't mess wit Snake cuz he busta cap in yo..............

:rotflmao:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    timc wrote: »
    Don't mess wit Snake cuz he busta cap in yo..............

:rotflmao:

No No No Bro, Mr. Snake he be a nice guy, but as cpj alluded to don't be messin wif Mrs. snake! She be one mean woman when she's mad and she knows how to use that knife,

:nono:....................:yikes:....................:rotflmao: