Home Main Category Personal Defense

S&W M&P9 shoots quite low

brians356brians356 MemberPosts: 161 Member
Anyone got a S&W M&P9 Pro Series (5-in barrel)? My friend just bought one, and at 15 yards it impacts 6 inches low, and at 25 yards 12-18 inches low, with the normal sight picture.

It has a Novak notch rear sight, and a Novak Fiber Optic Green front.

It shoots low with several ammo types, all three palm swells, and for two different shooters (the owner and myself.) To bring impact up to aim point, it needs the front dot sitting atop the rear sight, not down in the notch.

Anyone have any dope on this pistol, and if they are known to shoot low?
"If this is flag waving, can you think of a better flag to wave?"
Irving Berlin

Replies

• brians356brians356 Member Posts: 161 Member
    I have the same pistol, but it has aftermarket sights. It tends to shoot where the fiber optic is, not at the top of the post.

That sounds about right. Do you think that's by design? I'm stuck in the habit of not obscuring the target with the front sight. My friend the owner has several handguns and they all point and print as he expects - just above the post.
    Irving Berlin
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    Have you tried 147gr. ammo?
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    He will have to raise the front sight in his sight picture or learn a new POA.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I have the same pistol, but it has aftermarket sights. It tends to shoot where the fiber optic is, not at the top of the post.

This. The sights on M&Ps are combat sights, designed for POA at center of target, not a traditional 6 o'clock bullseye hold.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • brians356brians356 Member Posts: 161 Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    This. The sights on M&Ps are combat sights, designed for POA at center of target, not a traditional 6 o'clock bullseye hold.

Makes sense, I suppose, but it seems like they expect close combat - Lee Oswald and Jack Ruby close.

Scuttlebutt on the S&W forum suggests many shooters pulling shots low/left, owing to the DA trigger. Supposedly, a trigger technique needs to be learned through a lot of dry firing and practice, practice, practice. Odd, though, I've never heard of Glock shooters, for example, needing to master a new trigger technique, but perhaps I haven't paid attention.

I'm certainly unused to the DA. Personally, I'm used to my old Browning Hi Power, and I'll challenge any DA pistolero to an informal accuracy contest, at any range. (Not a fair contest, I admit, but especially so since mine was overhauled by Gunsite, including trigger tune and magazine disconnect removal.)

Thanks for the tips.
    Irving Berlin
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    I wouldn't say they're expecting "close combat" with that sort of sight hold. I and others have been able to get hits on a a steel gong at 200 yds. using the combat sight hold with one member's S&W at a SE shoot one year.

As to the trigger issue: yes, it does happen with Glock folks. Maybe not to the same degree, but I've seen new shooters of, well, pretty much any handgun have that issue if they haven't familiarized themselves with the trigger.
    I'm just here for snark.