Meat with a 44 Mag. Vaquero

10 AC10 AC MemberPosts: 309 Member
Well I haven't posted in some time.
Well yesterday was sitting up a tree with a Marlin rifle and a newly aquired Vaquero.
About 20 or so mins. before 4 this small 4 point comes in to view. Not sure but I think its the same one I let pass last Sun.
Any way when I first see him he's about 50 yds. to my east headin south. He then turns and starts right towards me like I'm callin him or something, as he's getting closer I realize that it is in fact a buck. So I'm thinking he may get close enough to take with the 44, well he walks up to about 10 to 15 yds. stops and looks right at me. I've already managed to retrive the pistol from the shoulder holster out from under the coat, weren't easy with him coming so close.
So he just stares at me for a moment or two, and starts quartering away. Well I just slowly lower the pistol and cock ever so gently, the 15mph wind probably helped to camo that also.
Well at about 20yds, I dropped the hammer, bang. Straight to the ground. That little ole 240gr. lfp &10.5grs. of unique done its job. Now he's nothin great but heck with the handgun I don't care, he make fer some good eatin.
daddysphone301.jpghttp://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab25/sidinman/daddysphone301.jpg
Teach
If you don't have a C&R FFL,you really need to consider getting one----it's a license to spend money, though.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    Amazing hunt, hey.
    Great shot.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Most excellent!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Is that one of the older beefier Vaqueros?

Wish I'd bought a couple back in the day in .44/.45 Colt.

Congrats on the hunt and cool SA revolver.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,545 Senior Member
    Great hunt and nice revolver. I get the most gratification from harvesting game with my open sighted pistols.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,534 Senior Member
    GREAT job!, I have yet to harvest one with a hangun, but its on the list.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,668 Senior Member
    Very well done!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Nicely done!....Looks like a really healthy meat buck...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    Well done!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Well done!

Good job, it's all good. I am threatening to take one with my S&W Mod. 586 357 or even my 45 ACP Springfield Armory 1911.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,672 Senior Member
    Congrats :worthy:

I've killed a few with my SPs, but never with a wheel-gun.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 218 Member
    very nice, killing 1 with a handgun is a real treat. where was the impact and did you get an exit?
    I shot a couple of does with my super Blackhawk long ago and both bullets exited.
  • 10 AC10 AC Member Posts: 309 Member
    Thanks guys for all the great comments.
    Big Cheif, yes this is one of the older models, it was made in '06.
    G O, I hit him right behind the shoulders and it was a complete pass through, as soon as it hit him he went down and never got back up.
    This is my third with the revolvers, first was on Thanksgiving a few yrs. back. Got him with a scoped SBH 44 mag. at about 60yds, and some kind of 240gr. factory load. I don't recall.
    Then two yrs. ago I took a doe at close to 25yds. with a 41mag. BH and a 215 lfn that I had loaded myself.
    It is a different feelin when you take one with the handguns. Plus the looks on some peoples face when you tell what ya shot it with.
    Now maybe I can get something a little bigger. If I'm not mistaken this may have been the same little buck that I passed on last Sun. with a rifle.
    Thanks again, and good luck to the rest of y'all that are still hunting this year.
    Teach
    If you don't have a C&R FFL,you really need to consider getting one----it's a license to spend money, though.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Wonderful job on that buck. You're a lot like me. I often let small bucks walk, but when the experience is on the table to take a deer in a unique way, often times the hammer is falling. I definitely would've done the same. Congrats!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    I usually pack my .45 Colt Blackhawk during centerfire season. So far, things haven't worked out to take a deer with it, but I think a 300 grain hard cast bullet at 1300 FPS will get the job done!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach, I also have a Vaquero & a BH in 45 colt that I want to take a deer with at some point. Mine both have the 4.62 barrels like the one pictured.

Hope ya get a chance to bloody yours.
    Teach
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    Congratulations on a job well done. I have that same gun in blue steel and I like the way it feels in the hand. Where between Nashville and Memphis, I live in Hohenwald? BTW, If you pull back the trigger as you thumb cock the hammer, then release the trigger, it doesn't make any noise. Unload it and try it............Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Thanks Robin, I live just outside of Jackson. East side of Madison county, not far from the Pinson Mounds State Park.
    Teach
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    I was in Jackson today, doing a warranty claim inspection at a Firestone store near the I-40/Hwy 45 junction. Just got home a little while ago!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    I was in Jackson today, doing a warranty claim inspection at a Firestone store near the I-40/Hwy 45 junction. Just got home a little while ago!
    Jerry
    Know right where you were. Was working just a few miles North of I-40 the next exit west of there today.
    Teach
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    That is just Awesome! I am a big single action wheel gun fan and just love my Old style Vaquero in .45 Colt.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member