Hearing protection while hunting

Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior MemberPosts: 6,083 Senior Member
What you fine gentlemen use for ear protection while hunting?
When I am hunting from a stand or blind I wear a sound band around my neck until I need it.
My question really concerns still hunting or upland bird hunting. I would like to have something like this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2421339550/sportear-ghoststryke-electronic-ear-plugs-nrr-30-db-pair?cm_vc=ProductFinding
I really don't want to spend $400 on hearing protection. I don't like ear muffs while shooting long guns. I have a big ole fat dome and ear muffs just don't allow me get a good cheek weld.
I ordered a pair of these earlier, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1591247113/surefire-ep3-sonic-defender-ear-plugs-nrr-24-db?cm_vc=ProductFinding
I want to use them with the plugs out for still hunting or bird hunting. Just put the plugs in when sitting still and I have time.
I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
Dad 5-31-13

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I use everything from earmuffs, to electronic earmuffs, to the Surefire insert plugs. Just depends.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I wear Peltor electronic muffs. Enhances sounds and cuts out blasts.

http://www.peltorhearingprotection.org/3m-peltor-tactical-6s-active-volume-hearing-protector/

51BGCTDSGJL.01_SL500_.jpg
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I use everything from earmuffs, to electronic earmuffs, to the Surefire insert plugs. Just depends.

Have you used the Surefire insert plugs with the little cap out? If you have how effective are they that way?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member
    I use electronic muffs. Enhances your hearing while protecting from gunshots, and also keeps your ears warm. No reason NOT to use them.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    I don't. Maybe if I was in a target rich bird blind with buddies and going through a box plus of shells every outing. As it is, I've been so fixated on my targets when they do appear that I'm barely aware of the gun going off. No pain, no ringing in those circumstances. Auditory exclusion. . .it's a bizarre phenomenon that I can't explain, but it seems to be real.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Those of you that use electronic muffs.
    How do they work in the wind? I used a pair (probably a very cheap pair) several years ago, they seemed to just make the wind louder. Is that just inherent to them?
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Yeah I thought the same thing until my ears now have permanent damage and an obnoxious ringing that never goes away. I use electronic muffs, same ones I use for shooting but the sound amplifying works great for hunting. They are the same $50 Leigh something or other I've been gushing about here for years. Several members have them too. I can hear a deer rustling around in the leaves from 100 yards away.

Howard Leight:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/671923/howard-leight-impact-sport-electronic-earmuffs-nrr-22-db-green
    I have two pair. They are awesome, and thin enough to not interfere with the stock on a rifle. Plus, they have audio input that also lets you hear the outside noise while listening to a book on tape, the game, etc...

I also have tinnitus. I am NOW freaking religious about protecting hearing- because I was a dummy about it while younger. I even wear muffs when mowing the yard.

And yes, better muffs work better in the wind. you can hear the wind, but it's not annoying
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    There was a guy on here a few years back who used to shoot targets out to 600yds using his feet. I have it on good authority ( from cpj) that he used his fingers in his ears to stop hearing damage.....................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    I was using my Army issued earplugs. Would put in the left because I only have 50% hearing there anyways then insert the right before shooting. Now I will be using my Howard Leights, never thought of wearing muffs in the field.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Never used anything while in stand. If at the range I always wore some type of muffs.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    I wear, "Sonic Ear Valves". They are soft rubber with a mechanical valve insert. They let you hear normal noises, like a deer approaching, or normal conversation. The valves shut at any sound, like gun fire, above 85 decibels. They are comfortable to wear and are available at Walmart, and other outdoor stores, for around $10.00......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,067 Senior Member
    Hearing aids in both ears...when I want to hear something. Shooting without hearing protection WILL harm your ears, regardless of how it sounds at the time. Got pretty bad tinnitus, so long now I'm just about used to it.

On your recommendations, I ordered the electronics from Midway tonight. I've been using regular ear muffs, but they do interfere with a stock weld.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    When I hunt, it is from a stand, so I wear ear muffs. Now that suppressors are legal here, though, I may ditch them when I take my AR out. One less thing to carry.

As a test, I've fired the AR w/ suppressor at the range w/out "ears" on. It was definitely quieter. There was still the sharp supersonic crack, but I figure for one shot while hunting, it won't matter. If I'm using anything not suppressor-equipped, ear muffs are a must.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    I don't want to hear anyone telling me if they are hunting they don't need protection. One shot can do damage and you don't get it back. I'm the poster boy. I had three OSHA Shifts in hearing loss in 28 years. Of course some of that was caused by working in a high noise environment. Some of mine was inherited too! But a good part of it was shooting without ear plugs.

I too am fanatic about hearing protection, and especially when shooting. I made a pleasant discovery the other day when I killed my first deer of this season. Since I've had these latest hearing aids I've been turning them off while hunting. I mean I sure don't need to have all those decibels of a gun shot magnified. Well, in the heat of the moment when I decided to shoot that doe at the gate, I forgot to shut them off. But guess what? They cut out the high decibels like these hearing protection devices for shooting do. I don't have to shut them off, AND I can still hear nature around me. Life is good when you can hear the deer. I hated it when I'd turn them off. I felt like I had my head in a fish bowl.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    USUFB wrote: »
    When I hunt, it is from a stand, so I wear ear muffs. Now that suppressors are legal here, though, I may ditch them when I take my AR out. One less thing to carry.

As a test, I've fired the AR w/ suppressor at the range w/out "ears" on. It was definitely quieter. There was still the sharp supersonic crack, but I figure for one shot while hunting, it won't matter. If I'm using anything not suppressor-equipped, ear muffs are a must.

What i said on my post before this one wasn't directed to you. I don't have a clue about what the decibel level a suppressed rifle produces. But I would be careful and make sure it's not at a level that is harmful. Don't think one shot won't hurt. All high decibel sound is bad for your ears.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    What i said on my post before this one wasn't directed to you. I don't have a clue about what the decibel level a suppressed rifle produces. But I would be careful and make sure it's not at a level that is harmful. Don't think one shot won't hurt. All high decibel sound is bad for your ears.

No worries, snake. I didn't take it that way. I may still wear ear protection if I'm using a suppressor while hunting. While I don't know the exact decibel reduction of the suppressor, the gun was significantly quieter with it on versus with out. However, the sharp supersonic crack of the bullet was still present. That rather high pitched noise is why I'm still considering wearing ear muffs, or at least plugs.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    No worries, snake. I didn't take it that way. I may still wear ear protection if I'm using a suppressor while hunting. While I don't know the exact decibel reduction of the suppressor, the gun was significantly quieter with it on versus with out. However, the sharp supersonic crack of the bullet was still present. That rather high pitched noise is why I'm still considering wearing ear muffs, or at least plugs.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I know that supersonic crack is loud but I didin't know how loud.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Anyone who talks about hearing loss like a bad thing hasn't been married long enough! I am liking the muffs that amplify though. I'm half deaf that's why I talk loud so you can hear me.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    I don't use anything when hunting, but I have an el cheapo set of electronic muffs (Caldwell?) that still work just fine after several years.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I wear Peltor electronic muffs. Enhances sounds and cuts out blasts.

http://www.peltorhearingprotection.org/3m-peltor-tactical-6s-active-volume-hearing-protector/

51BGCTDSGJL.01_SL500_.jpg

These. I like the Surefire ones, too. They insert quickly and work well and provide unobstructed cheek weld.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers