NN's Duck hunting thread

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,968 Senior Member
DSCN0087_zpsb5697a17.jpg

DSCN0086_zpse666c219.jpg

Cold this AM, waited until it got warmer and went out.

As soon as I got started I found that fresh killed Hooded Merganser.
For the first hour I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn, finally figured out the problem and shot the 6 Ruddy Ducks.
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Replies

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Good shooting - those little divers are fast little suckers!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,272 Senior Member
    Nice going:applause: Never hunted water fowl, going to have to remedy that one day.

Sako
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Great opening day Ned. Only a week short of 6 months for our season to open. Mallard numbers look to be high where I shoot judging by the number of birds in the river I have seen lately when taking the charter boat out.

Regarding your misses, it always takes me a few shots on opening morning to get my 'eye' in. Normally its because I overthink the first couple of shots.............but then muscle memory takes over and I start to connect.

I look forward to seeing more posts on your season.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Well done Ned.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,669 Senior Member
    Good shooten Ned
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    Great hunt Ned. I've never killed a Ruddy Duck or a Hooded Merganser
    However, I have killed a few Blue Bills also known as scaup. They aren't my favorite duck as around here they eat a lot of fish and smelly things in salt water. Around here close to salt water the only diver ducks I eat are Red Heads and Canvas Backs. They eat more vegetation off the bottom than other divers. To me their right up there with Mallards, Pintails, Widgeons, Gadwalls and Teal, which are all what we call puddle Ducks.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,070 Senior Member
    I miss duck hunting....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,483 Senior Member
    Good hustle!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,353 Senior Member
    Great work, Ned. I have been hoping to get out for ducks here in Ohio, but the numbers aren't terribly impressive out this way. Good to see that you're still seeing good bumbers down there and scoring.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    I bet that 40 four stroke Yamaha scoots that tin boat!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Cool deal Ned, glad you brought this back. Still using the trusty 11-87?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    I bet that 40 four stroke Yamaha scoots that tin boat!
    Fast enough
    have to be careful in sharp turns when the throttle is open full.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Cool deal Ned, glad you brought this back. Still using the trusty 11-87?
    Yeah, the one I got when steel shot became required in these parts; sometime in the 90's.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    Do you like the mergansers? I've only ever shot one and had it mounted but all my bird hunting friends claimed that they tasted horrible so I never shot another. When I hunted in Texas we had plenty of mallards, pintails, and teal coming through so we never bothered with any diving species. Puddle ducks were much better table fare.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Hooded Mergansers are ok, I won't ever try and eat the other two kinds again.

I even tried the stuffing them with apples and that doesn't work at all.

Pull the breast, soak in milk, and fry in bread crumbs should work with that bird.
    DSCN0088_zps8c2a2874.jpg

Today went better, I shot better and used 1/3 less shells
    I don't think I have ever eaten a diver that tasted good, now puddle ducks on the other hand........
    twa wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever eaten a diver that tasted good, now puddle ducks on the other hand........

Canvasbacks and Redheads are quite good
    the others are an acquired taste.
    NN wrote: »
    Canvasbacks and Redheads are quite good
    the others are an acquired taste.

I've heard divers in fresh water weren't too bad. But here it's a salt marsh and they stink. But you're absolutely correct about Canvasbacks and Redheads. It's all in their diet. These eat a lot of stuff like wild celery. They dive, but usually don't eat too much fishy tasting food. I always heard you are what you eat and this pertains to birds and animals too.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I shot some teal many years ago that were on a stream in Wis eating fresh water grass shrimp, they were horrible.
    Don't know what happened
    duck are gone,
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,940 Senior Member
    Don't know what happened
    duck are gone,

Are you wearing your WI deer hunting clothes?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Are you wearing your WI deer hunting clothes?

I should try that, when I hunted deer in Wis you could wear red and black plaid.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,353 Senior Member
    Hey, at least you had ducks over your way, Ned. I never anything resembling a push worth hunting out here. Nice job on your part this season getting quite a few.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    I hate liver! I refuse to shoot divers and will only shoot a spoonie if it has a death wish. Then it goes into the sausage pile. Ruddies, buffles, and scalp are too small to bother with.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    I'm impressed, am I supposed to be embarrassed?

You would not be able to hunt around these creeks since the only other ducks usually around are woodies and they are smaller than scalp, besides a greater
    scalp can be a good sized duck.
    Shot a duck going full tilt today, it made a 90 degree climb, did a wing over and a 90 degree dive. It hit the water with a big splash and that was the last I saw it.

I waited around 15-20 min
    nadda.
    Shot a duck going full tilt today, it made a 90 degree climb, did a wing over and a 90 degree dive. It hit the water with a big splash and that was the last I saw it.

I waited around 15-20 min
    nadda.

Ned I wish I had a bigger boat that I could make the long run from South Padre Island Drive down the Laguna Madre where there's about a half million red heads wintering. They are everywhere. And I know a couple of spoil banks where we hunted Nilgai that have ponds on them and the ducks land in. If you have a dozen decoys you can get em suckered in there. I can also call ducks with my mouth so we would be in business.

And, an added bonus, there's a lot of widgeon and Pin Tail there too. And Canvas Back. I'm tellin you it's duck heaven.
    I guess the season is over for me, 2 more days left; but, I won't be able to get out.

I finished the season with a 5 bird day.
    I guess the season is over for me, 2 more days left; but, I won't be able to get out.

I finished the season with a 5 bird day.

Five birds is a hell of a day. Anyway, my wife moonlights down at Port O'Connor at the Donut Palace there on her days off from her real job at the county Jail and Port O'Connor is another duck hunting hotspot here on the Texas Coast. Anyway, a lot of hunters stop in for breakfast after the hunt and my wife will ask them if they have any ducks they don't want, and they give her ducks. Three days ago somebody gave her 8. We boiled the water and put them in to loosed the feathers and plucked em all. I fried a couple that day and yesterday I boiled a couple. But like you say, season is about over. Here this Sunday is the end.