Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Sony Pictures scraps Dec. 25 release of 'The Interview' over threats ................

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
And earlier movie chains said they wouldn't show them.

They caved in to terrorist demands................yes?

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/12/17/us-government-saw-interview-approved-theaters-upping-security/
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Hmmm ... IF I worked for Sony I'd think about the straight release to On Demand and such along with a huge DVD release. The press this movie has received because of the political B.S. might be enough to drive major dollars. The are bigger movies being released so Sony could actually do well using people's desire to see what it is all about.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,502 Senior Member
    Great way to gold plate a turd!! I wouldn't watch that movie if I was paid to!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    This just flat out boggles the mind! One of the biggest companies in the world is bowing to a terrorist threat along with movie theater chains all over the country! The most powerful country in the world is getting punked by some computer hackers about a comedy movie that they don't like. This will undoubtedly set a precedent and every little cheeseball wanabe terrorist that wants his 15 minutes of fame will be pulling this crap. Terrorist's have been trying to carry out "9-11" type terrorist attacks ever since 9-11 and it hasn't been so easy anymore. What makes these guys think that they are special? Did they type the threat in capital letters? That would suggest that they mean business from what I understand.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    If they allow the movie to be shown in theatres and there is a terrorist attack on the theatre, they will be liable for millions in damages.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    If they allow the movie to be shown in theatres and there is a terrorist attack on the theatre, they will be liable for millions in damages.
    True.

Wonder why a hacker group even cares if we're making fun of North Korea. Unless it's a North Korean group....
    I'm just here for snark.
    The thing is, any time some "terrorist" group wants to effect some movie, song on the radio, product, religious activity, school activity, holiday, or whatever, is the USA going to comply out of fear?
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Clog their postal system with CDs of the movie. :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    It appears that North Korea is behind the hack. So the most powerful country in the world just got punked by a little communist dictatorship. This is a proud moment.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    I was kinda thinking it was North Korea due to the content of the film and how they're acted since it was announced. Something about the threats screamed "Bad Engrish Translation" to me.

As far as their capabilities go, who knows? Hollywood pitched them as successfully attacking the US in the remade "Red Dawn" (doubtful, but we don't want to offend the Chinese who could be capable, but we want them to watch our movies.) On the one hand if the borders are as porous as folks say, the North Koreans could probably get somebody in to cause damage. If the borders are as secure as the administration and their supporters in Hollywood say, then there's nothing to worry about. So it seems as though Hollywood is trusting Fox News on this one, not the administration, and being cautious. And if the movie were to get shown and attacks happen, then Sony and the theaters would probably get sued.

On the other hand, maybe the movie's just really, really bad and this is their way of postponing the release and generating more publicity?
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,143 Senior Member
    The way the media has been manipulated, and the media manipulating the news for sales/money, who knows what to believe anymore.

Between the power of the USA and Money of Sony, I would tell the Chinese the movie will open as planned. If any actions are taken against our people we will not hold but cross the 38th Parallel and own what little you have.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Great way to gold plate a turd!! I wouldn't watch that movie if I was paid to!

Agreed. A truly worthless movie. But it's the principle of the thing, caving to N. Korea --- a bad idea and it sets a bad precedence.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    On the other hand, maybe the movie's just really, really bad and this is their way of postponing the release and generating more publicity?

Well, an interesting Machiavellian twist on the topic. Huh. But hey, just because a movie is bad hasn't previously prevented Hollywood from releasing it with big fanfare.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Wambli and a few others on here, in the commercial side of things, might be able to provide more information on this.

So Cyber Terrorism....I don't blame Sony one bit for withdrawing the release. The leverage of Cyber Warfare in todays world is scary and possibly more damaging that waging Keneitc attacks. I am sure Sony crunched the numbers a figured how much they would make on opening day compared to the amount of money they would lose if there were DOS attacks on the Sony store, the Play Station Live servcie, Sony media holdings., etc...And that is not even counting the posibility of Hacking that involves flat out theft. Theft of funds and or movies/music to be released in pirated venues around the world. And what can you do about it? I can't send Tier 1 guys to shoot the internet. With programs/protocols like TOR, it could be weeks before I found out where they launched the attacked from...and then what? Drone strike a building that HAD the hackers in it last month?

Combined with asymetric fighting, Cyber will be the next wave of warfare in the World. There are only a few units in the Army currently authorized more than 95% manning. One of them is the Cyber Brigade. You would be shocked at who it not on that list.

People watch movies like the last installment of Die Hard and think things like that are impossible. They are not. The only reason why they haven't happened yet is beceause of extremely patriotic geeks that sit in dark rooms, behind cypher locked doors, in buildings behind strong fences somwere on the east coast. They are not the sexy guys of DEVGRU or CAG, but they are protecting your Assets and infrastructure. I don't stand up for the REMF often, but these guys have been fighting the good fight with zero recognition and with no relief. So, we have to learn to pick our battles until we can educate and train folks to help them out.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Cyber attacks like the one on Sony are small potatoes. And so are the ones on banking and such. The real vulnerability that would cause havoc is the electrical grid. Most companies DO NOT have their remote switching and transformer yards hard wired. The signals go by commercial carrier, and are therefore ripe for hacking. Shutting down the entire grid isn't that hard. You just have to know which nodes to shut down, and the rest will fall like dominoes.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,206 Senior Member
    I keep thinking Sony is not the big multi national company to piss off, I am thinking they might have a security team that knows some guys.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    But Mike, the cyber attack that could happen to Sony is not small potatoes to the bottom line of Sony. But, you understand what I am getting at. A cyber attack could be devastating, and it wouldn't take much. Could you imagine if they attacked a power plant's systems in a metro
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Clog their postal system with CDs of the movie. :applause: Later,

Being that it's North Korea, they would probably prefer laser discs. Or Beta tapes.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    1902950_10152954121558606_1253377871038502267_n.jpg?oh=825ae8baeabae8dbf6f9411c954d0916&oe=554172EF&__gda__=1426552016_925071fdd70acc6d86226405380f2e6b
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Just give Dennis Rodman a Claymore to deliver on his next trip to visit the Dear Leader. Tell him it's a camera so they can take a nice selfie!
    Jerry
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,502 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Just give Dennis Rodman a Claymore to deliver on his next trip to visit the Dear Leader. Tell him it's a camera so they can take a nice selfie!
    Jerry

:spittingcoffee::that:

Jerry's comments never fail to amuse me!!
    This was a risk management decision by a large multinational company. No one has any say in it but them. I don't necessarily agree with it, and yes it sets a poor precedent, but the company can do whatever they want with their movie. If they think the risk/reward ratio of releasing the movie as planned is too great then that's their prerogative.

There's a heck of a lot more going on here than just a big company deciding not to release a movie.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Somebody said on the news that the US should just buy the movie rights from Sony and distribute it for free here and around the world for free................................Streaming/Netflix.............you name it.

See how that little dictator would like that.

Obama said we would react...............Krauthammer said how... with a cyber attack that would stop all 4 of North Korea's Trolly Cars on their "Grid"...........................:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I've seen a lot of posts on the internet lamenting the fact that this shows America is cowardly. People seem to forget that Sony Pictures is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation in Japan. CEOs who run Japanese companies tend to be autocratic dictators who have no qualms about threatening employees. They think they are samurai and the peasants that work for them need to bow down to them.

To us North Korea is a pissant little wannabe world power thousand of mile away across the Pacific Ocean. But Japan is a small nation not very far from N K. Maybe they take the threat seriously and pressured the US subsidiary to capitulate.

Or maybe it's just a publicity stunt to generate interest in what appears to be a lame movie.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Maybe more emails showing Liberal hypocrisy is what they are worried about..............I can't wait to read more Obammy jokes :tooth:
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I keep thinking Sony is not the big multi national company to piss off, I am thinking they might have a security team that knows some guys.

Owned By the Japanese right?
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,206 Senior Member
    Owned By the Japanese right?

That is my understanding.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    What would happen if the Mus-Tards decided to pull something like this over "American Sniper" and it's showing the Infidel American killing all the Mus-**** brothers? Malpaso is not as big as Sony but Eastwood and his partners would be very unlikely to back down. Sony has some way they are going to turn this in their favor, I just don't see it yet.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Oddly enough, North Korea's internet is down now...
    http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-experiencing-severe-internet-200418060.html
    I wonder how that happened?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Oddly enough, North Korea's internet is down now...
    http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-experiencing-severe-internet-200418060.html
    I wonder how that happened?

Forgot to pay their service provider this month no doubt. I wonder if they call tech support, do they get someone in india named Bill?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    As I just stated in FB,

And so the Cyber War escalates...

This could get ugly, quickly.