Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Sydney siege: Gun law debate begins in Australia.

shushshush Senior MemberPosts: 6,259 Senior Member
''Cross bench senator David Leyonhjelm has called for Australians to be allowed to carry concealed weapons.''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-30527662

''Mr Leyonhjelm, a Liberal Democratic Party senator for New South Wales, said the siege would have been lessened if some of the 17 hostages had been armed.''

"What happened in that cafe would have been most unlikely to have occurred in Florida, Texas, or Vermont, or Alaska in America, or perhaps even Switzerland as well," Senator Leyonhjelm told ABC Radio.

''Statistically speaking" in those jurisdictions, "one or two of the victims" would have had a concealed gun, he said.''

''Police inquiries have revealed that the Sydney cafe gunman, 50-year-old Man Haron Monis, was not a registered firearms licence holder and had never held a gun licence in New South Wales, the state where the siege took place.''

Shock... gasp.... horror. :yikes:

But former coalition deputy prime minister Tim Fischer said that the analogy with US gun laws was "seductive nonsense".

"Debate will always go on in a good democracy but where it is built on a pack of lies from the NRA [US National Rifle Association] it should be dealt with swiftly," he said.

"It is seductive nonsense to say concealed gun laws would somehow work here in Australia."

Seductive nonsense?

Do they not remember Canada?

If you ain't got it, you cannot use it.

PS.

Mind you, I am one to talk, say what. :angry:

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Until the sheeple in the commonwealth in general stop squatting to pee and allowing a bunch of stuffed-shirt "noblemen" in powdered wigs to tell them when to jump, how high, and when they can come down, the general populace will never have any real freedom. What would the government do if a few million everyday citizens chose to arm themselves- - - - -jail them all?
    Jerry
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    ................ bunch of stuffed-shirt "noblemen" in powdered wigs................Jerry

As always Teach, you have us in one. :applause: :jester:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    But former coalition deputy prime minister Tim Fischer said that the analogy with US gun laws was "seductive nonsense".

"Debate will always go on in a good democracy but where it is built on a pack of lies from the NRA [US National Rifle Association] it should be dealt with swiftly," he said.

"It is seductive nonsense to say concealed gun laws would somehow work here in Australia."

I have probably 'cussed' the NRA as much as anyone, anywhere, but only for their fundraising techniques. I still maintain membership because they have the facts that are there for anyone who is willing to examine them.

Someone should challenge Mr. Fischer on this, and see if he can refute them.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    ''Cross bench senator David Leyonhjelm has called for Australians to be allowed to carry concealed weapons.''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-30527662

''Mr Leyonhjelm, a Liberal Democratic Party senator for New South Wales, said the siege would have been lessened if some of the 17 hostages had been armed.''

"What happened in that cafe would have been most unlikely to have occurred in Florida, Texas, or Vermont, or Alaska in America, or perhaps even Switzerland as well," Senator Leyonhjelm told ABC Radio.

''Statistically speaking" in those jurisdictions, "one or two of the victims" would have had a concealed gun, he said.''

''Police inquiries have revealed that the Sydney cafe gunman, 50-year-old Man Haron Monis, was not a registered firearms licence holder and had never held a gun licence in New South Wales, the state where the siege took place.''

Shock... gasp.... horror. :yikes:

Seductive nonsense?

Do they not remember Canada?

If you ain't got it, you cannot use it.

PS.

Mind you, I am one to talk, say what. :angry:

I have seen some interviews with prominent gun store owners in Sydney and Melbourne Australia. Aside from actually explaining what the different firearms classifications are and how citizens can go about obtaining different kinds of guns, they also explained that there has been quite a resurgence of talk within the pro gun communities. They explained that ever since 1996 and the almost outright ban on semi automatic firearms and pump action shotgun there has been a lot of political talk about restructuring the classifications to be far more reasonable.

I do not think their political climate will be amicable to talk about concealed weapons permits just yet. After all, getting a semi automatic handgun is virtually impossible for the average income citizen.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Even an "old fashioned" six-gun would have been better than the pocket lint that the victims were allowed to carry. For that matter a flintlock dueling pistol would have been better.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Australia even has banned certain knives and other non-firearm types of self-defense. I am not sure about all the laws but I know my EDC knife is not even allowed. First it is an assist opening Zero Tolerance. The second I am not to sure about the blade length but I think that is a disqualifier also. Also didn't Australia crush all the guns they made their citizens turn in? Their "leaders" show they have little common sense on a couple more matters ... to bad the idiots in the US like Feinstein, Pelosi and such along with those rallying like Uncle Fester (aka Mark Kelly), Doomberg and such don't see the writing on the wall.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Charlton Heston's "Cold dead hands" comment was pretty prophetic. As long as even a vocal minority of Americans think that way, we will stay free. The gun grabbers will be too afraid to try anything really radical if there's a chance they will put themselves in the crosshairs by doing so- - - - -they're all a bunch of cowards under the BS and bluster!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    From what I understand, pepper spray is also banned over there. And all those 'jihad joes' coming in by boat and stirring up trouble over in Australia don't help matters, at all. Only the bad guys and cops have guns, and the general populace is just cannon fodder for the crazies.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams