Came back a day early from the ranch

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,583 Senior Member
Was going to stay out until Tuesday evening but a bunch of fat does had to walk out and spoil it for me. I wasn't really looking for another deer but Mother In-law was wanting one so her Christmas present is going to be this deer and we will pay the processing.

Rifle used was the Remington 700 custom I built a few years ago. Ammo used was hand loaded .308 with 165 grain Sierra Gameking BTHP pushed with 40.7 grains of IMR4895. The deer was about 200 yards eating corn with several other does so I had to wait a bit for her to get off by herself for a shot. The round entered center of the neck about 6" in front of the shoulder, shattered the spine and came back out the entry wound which created about 1 1/4" hole; I thought that was pretty odd but she dropped in her tracks so all is good.
The deer...
F890172A-BBE2-4DD4-9EAF-6C15BB8FCC8C_zpsq43yu6mj.jpg

The rifle...
0FA6AF47-7C5E-44D9-9A67-3A43974A078D_zpscpx2zxgr.jpg
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Wow nice deer
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    That's interesting about the entry/exit wound.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    That's interesting about the entry/exit wound.

I thought so, at that range I would think the bullet should have pushed right on through.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Great shooting Tim.
    Re the entry/exit..............Sometimes things happen that have no logical explanation and defy belief. I would have expected a 270 to bounce off the skin without penetrating at that range...........are you sure that you didn't load the 308 down to 270 specs by mistake?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Great shooting Tim.
    Re the entry/exit..............Sometimes things happen that have no logical explanation and defy belief. I would have expected a 270 to bounce off the skin without penetrating at that range...........are you sure that you didn't load the 308 down to 270 specs by mistake?

The only way I could get it that low would be to shoot it in the opposite direction! :rotflmao:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Good looking deer Tim.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    You folks inTX have a very nice deer season:beer:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    You folks inTX have a very nice deer season:beer:

Yes sir, we still have another 5 weeks to go and we have a super nice deer and pg population too.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    Nicely done Tim! Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    You have corn down there in that brush country? :jester:
    Congrats on a good quick kill and that is a great looking rifle. I like the ability to use a magazine in the 700 - tell me more.
    twa wrote: »
    You have corn down there in that brush country? :jester:
    Congrats on a good quick kill and that is a great looking rifle. I like the ability to use a magazine in the 700 - tell me more.

All the corn you want for $7.00 per 50 pound bag, deer have expensive appetites!

The rifle is an old 700 ADL with a 5 digit S/N that was made somewhere around the 60's. The gun belonged to my father and I wanted to keep it but not the 2" groups the old shot out barrel was doing. Here is the list of what I did to it.
    Shilen 26" Varmint contour barrel in .308 with muzzle brake
    Surgeon bottom metal with AI mag
    Timney trigger
    Hogue made me a full aluminum bed block stock (Took about 2 months)
    Action is bedded
    Bolt face trued
    Jeweled the bolt.
    I topped it off with a picatinny rail and a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50mm LR scope.
    The action is butter smooth and she is a sub moa shooter.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Wow nice deer

And it can fly too!:tooth:

Seriously, it is a fine looking doe. But there for a minute I didn't see the boom in the truck holding it up in the air and appeared to be flying.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    I thought so, at that range I would think the bullet should have pushed right on through.

I saw a nice doe yesterday morning and would have been happy to shoot it if I'd been hunting here in Calhoun County where we live. But our lease is in Jackson County and no does after November 30th. Strange rule, but I have to abide by it. Now all I can shoot is bucks.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Nicely done mi amigo. Wife and I are headed to the wood in a few minutes.

MERRY Christmas to you & yours!
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.