Home Main Category General Firearms

Just when I talk myself out of a medium caliber gun...

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,535 Senior Member
...I "discover" an appealing caliber. I've had a lust for .338Lapua since I was in high school in 1998 (I'm a youngin' at 31) when I saw Dakota Arms advertising the Longbow rifle in Guns and Ammo magazine. I was ignorant of the actual use and expense of that caliber then, but it still has one hell of a cool factor, even now.

Enter the .338 Norma. It was developed in the last several years by Jim Sloan and brought to market by Norma under his supervision.

How it appeals to me over .338Lapua

.338Lapua requires a couple of drastic changes to a gun. First, normal long actions won't handle it. Secondly, to reload it you need a larger frame press to handle the length of the brass plus bullet. .338Norma differs in that it was designed specifically to be used in a standard Remington 700 long action and utilize the popular and effective 300gr .338cal SMK. Sounds win-win.

Next, test loads have delivered 2600+ fps with the 300gr SMK in a 22" barrel. So a 28" or 32" barrel will be north of 2850 fps. Sounds like a winner. And their test loads also stay supersonic out to 1760 yards and start the transition to trans-sonic at 1300 fps with an energy of 1130 ft-lbs.

So, I say all that garble to say that I may need to start a long-term piece-together project for this caliber... I've lusted for a .338 for a long time.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I say go for it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Yeehaw! I wish I could convince myself that I would ever get around to shooting one. :silly:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,851 Senior Member
    Gopher it :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Just do it! Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Yeehaw! I wish I could convince myself that I would ever get around to shooting one. :silly:

Long_Range_Shooting_Lead.jpg

H4350 for the win, again.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    Why not a .338/375 Ruger? It fits in a standard long action and uses a standard "magnum" boltface. It holds a bit more powder than the Norma does.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    Or, 338 Edge. Neck and neck with the Lapua, but fits in a long action. Uses 300 RUM brass.

Not trying to poo poo your new love, sounds pretty interesting. It must be FAT! 79 gr. Is right around 338 WM, capacity wise.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Why not a .338/375 Ruger? It fits in a standard long action and uses a standard "magnum" boltface. It holds a bit more powder than the Norma does.

I've been reading forum after forum ad nauseum about every .338 wildcat I could find from the tame .338-284Win, to the more venerable .338 calibers based on the .416 magnum cases and so on.

From what I've read, the .338-375Ruger can make a wallop, but for some reason is giving up accuracy in some part of the design. I'm not sure, but I'm still in the research phase.

I have half a mind to do this on a Savage long action...bolt face swap simplicity.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Very cool, I have also been one to lust after a .338 Lapua but have not yet taken the plunge, The Norma sounds like a good option!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    .338Lapua requires a couple of drastic changes to a gun.

No. . .it just requires you to first wear out the barrel on a .416 Rigby.:jester:

If you've got a place with the yardage for it, rock on. If you don't have at least 800 yards, you're just driving your Ferrari in the mall parking lot.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,519 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    If you've got a place with the yardage for it, rock on. If you don't have at least 1,600 yards, you're just driving your Ferrari in the mall parking lot.

fify
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I've come to the conclusion, I've no use to feed a big .338 caliber cartridge. Once, I wanted one. Now.........not so much.

At least.......not today.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    If I were following the P.T. Barnum business model, I'd take an established round like the 8MM Rem Mag, for instance, do a little tweaking on the body taper, shoulder angle, and bore size like maybe a 40 degree shoulder, straighten the case wall a bit, blow it out to .338, and fit it to a Remington 700 action, and wait for the suck- - - - uhh- - - -"customers" to beat a path to my door!

No need for a dedicated oddball action, or ridiculously pricey brass- - - - -just a custom reamer and a few people gullible enough to burn powder by the wheelbarrow load and absorb retina-detatching recoil numbers just to have something "new" and "different"!

Do the deer hit with this new round within 300 yards get any deader any quicker than the ones that step out in front of my .30-06? Didn't think so!
    :uhm:
    Jerry
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion, I've no use to feed a big .338 caliber cartridge. Once, I wanted one. Now.........not so much.

should I save this ?........goes good with "the last Rifle"
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Jerry, God invented the .30-06, so someone could wildcat it to the .35 Whelen! It was all planned.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    I say go for it.

I like your brand of enabling.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    Jerry go back to bed! You got out of the wrong side today. It's not about need... its about "Want". You don't need to marry a Cover Girl model when an ugly girl can cook better but....

Anyone can own a Chevy, a Farrari is just too cool! There again so is a 455 in a GTO.

Go for it!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Meh, save a little longer and get a custom action, and chamber the barrel in 338/375 Cheytec.

Or as you see fit. I'm almost tempted to go for a 338BR (Whisper-ish).
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,286 Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

should I save this ?........goes good with "the last Rifle" - reloading - cronometer........

fify
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Willis.... what you plan on a shootin in FLA with that cotton-picker, Big Yankees :yikes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    you can blow past 1,000 yards in style with little expense...

Good idea, but then the credit card cowboys can't brag about spending ten bucks a shot on their toys!- - - - -And that doesn't count buying the gun!
    :tooth:
    Jerry
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Willis.... what you plan on a shootin in FLA with that cotton-picker, Big Yankees :yikes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Plenty of them! Not as husky as they used to be with the large soda bans up north though...

But in my eyes, the caliber is not what makes a gun useful or not in a given geography. There is cow pasture here I can go shoot on that stretches 2000 yards in some cases. Most ranchers are ok with you shooting on their property if you are safe.

My FN PBR .308 is not much "use" here despite the versatile caliber. It's a 15 pound, 50" OAL target rifle for all intent and purpose. I see it in the same light with a 18 pound 50+" long .338 Norma. Target mostly and for fun! I could bait hogs and take cracks at them at 1500 yards.

The only thing ranchers might hate more than liberals is pigs.
    Zee wrote: »

At that price I think I'll buy them and just display them on my shelf at my reloading bench as a reminder of my goal....
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    There are thousands of Rem 700s chambered in 338 RUM out there looking for love. All they need is a good break and a good stock and you can blow past 1,000 yards in style with little expense...
    Only problem with that is that I have had .338 RUM brass on backorder since 1/17/14. But yea, that is what I am doing. I picked up a Remington 700 BDL for a song.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Only problem with that is that I have had .338 RUM brass on backorder since 1/17/14. But yea, that is what I am doing. I picked up a Remington 700 BDL for a song.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=rum+brass
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    What does this give you that a .338 Win Mag can't? What's the parent case? The .338 Win Mag, the 7mm Rem MAG., the .264 Win Mag, the .308 Norma Mag., and the .358 Norma Mag are all about the same size. Is this bigger? I couldn't tell in that picture.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Oh, I got brass! I just want the 100 more that I have on backorder. Now I got to get off my butt and install the new trigger and firing pin and bed it in the new stock I have sitting here. After that, I will shoot it and see if I want to brake the existing barrel or switch that out too.
    -Thomas Paine
    snake284 wrote: »
    What does this give you that a .338 Win Mag can't? What's the parent case? The .338 Win Mag, the 7mm Rem MAG., the .264 Win Mag, the .308 Norma Mag., and the .358 Norma Mag are all about the same size. Is this bigger? I couldn't tell in that picture.

Advantages VS .338 Win Mag

1. Accommodates, by design, the use of long VLD-type 300gr bullets.
    2. Gets a 300gr bullet moving at approx 2800 fps
    3. Is not a belted magnum; headspacing is less complicated.

Parent case

.416 Rigby is the parent case. It's cut down from 2.9" and after necking is 2.492" case length.

Compared to other .338 Win Mag size cases

.338 Win Mag has a case length of 2.50" and .338Norma is 2.492", so no difference there. .338Norma is a tad fatter, though.

Also, volumetrically speaking, .338Norma is a good deal larger. .338 Win Mag is about 86-87gr H2O, and .338Norma is 107-108gr H2O.

Plus, there is just the fun factor of having something not too common. Brass is actually quite available and brass life is reportedly double that of comparative .338Lapua loads. Choices are the spices of life.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    You have all but talked yourself into it-Go for it!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"