Home Main Category General Firearms

New Sierra Bullets!!!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,519 Senior Member
And the .308cal / 168gr bullet has a supposed BC of .535 which beats the A-Max BC of .475 respectively.

I must acquire one and kill something with this bullet!!!! For science, of course.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/products/new.cfm

The 77gr .224 bullet looks promising as well.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    ....... For science, of course......


    The things you put yourself through for 'science'.............I am just overcome...........too much. :tissue:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is an impressive BC. We wait impatiently for you to kill a deer or hog Zee.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    Ooh. I like...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,419 Senior Member
    Nice, but I was hoping you found some 225 gr. .338 Deep Curls.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I must acquire one and kill something with this bullet!!!! For science, of course.
    Does this supercede, mitigate, or otherwise alter, your need to kill something with the 100 gr interlocks out of the .243?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,519 Senior Member
    Does this supercede, mitigate, or otherwise alter, your need to kill something with the 100 gr interlocks out of the .243?

    Of course not! That's planned for this week, hopefully. The Sierra bullets won't be available until January and I doubt I'd have any and a load developed in time. Probably be next season at the earliest. Or a hog in the off season.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

    I must acquire one and kill something with this bullet!!!! For science, of course.
    .

    it wont work.............. Tipped MatchKing (TMK) bullets are not recommended for hunting anything larger than varmints. The #7775 was introduced in January 2015.
    might as well not try it....................
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Of course not! That's planned for this week, hopefully. The Sierra bullets won't be available until January and I doubt I'd have any and a load developed in time. Probably be next season at the earliest. Or a hog in the off season.
    Whew. I was concerned. I need to see .243 destruction pics. I need to see tmk destruction pics as well, but I had my heart set on the .243 autopsy. Good fortune hunting, and I look forward to the AAR if all goes well.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    Dagnabbit! Just when I get a good load worked up with a 168 A Max, you gotta go and post this.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    Now they need to come out with some 142gr. 6.5's!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    When they are available I'm gonna try some in my .308 Garand and .30-06, I do realize there target bullets and wont kill big game.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,519 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Dagnabbit! Just when I get a good load worked up with a 168 A Max, you gotta go and post this.

    We need terminal performance results before we get too giddy. Don't go jumping off any cliffs yet. I plan to get a box of bullets when they are available and see what happens in the .308 Win and .30-06 Spr. If the terminal performance is good, then............we can consider options.

    I ain't jumping ship just for BC.

    The SMK in the past has been less than impressive in terminal performance. If the addition of a polymer tip helps, great. If not.............
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,519 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Now they need to come out with some 142gr. 6.5's!

    I have too many 140gr 6.5 A-Max to even consider switching.

    But, a 168gr 7mm......................
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,519 Senior Member
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    it wont work.............. Tipped MatchKing (TMK) bullets are not recommended for hunting anything larger than varmints. The #7775 was introduced in January 2015.
    might as well not try it....................

    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    We need terminal performance results before we get too giddy. Don't go jumping off any cliffs yet. I plan to get a box of bullets when they are available and see what happens in the .308 Win and .30-06 Spr. If the terminal performance is good, then............we can consider options.

    I ain't jumping ship just for BC.

    The SMK in the past has been less than impressive in terminal performance. If the addition of a polymer tip helps, great. If not.............

    I am interested to try a few in my rifle. Sierra Match Kings have never out-shot the 168 grain Hornady AMAX bullets in my rifle yet.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    And the .308cal / 168gr bullet has a supposed BC of .535 which beats the A-Max BC of .475 respectively.

    I must acquire one and kill something with this bullet!!!! For science, of course.

    https://www.sierrabullets.com/products/new.cfm

    The 77gr .224 bullet looks promising as well.

    I have 30 rounds of .223Rem loaded with the new 77gr SMK. They're over 21 to 23.5gr Varget in 0.5gr increments. I'll report about them once I get to shoot again. It'll be with my 18" barrel SPR, 1-8T.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Sound good to me, never did like the plastic tipped bullets, most always load a soft or hollow tip bullets if possible. I did like the Win. Silvertip pills. I even try to find the hollow points in my. 17HMR.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    sarg1c wrote: »
    Sound good to me, never did like the plastic tipped bullets, most always load a soft or hollow tip bullets if possible. I did like the Win. Silvertip pills. I even try to find the hollow points in my. 17HMR.

    Have we ever discussed whether or not plastic tips maintain their ballistic integrity until point of impact?

    I've always assumed that they did, or they would not have hit the market, but have not seen actual proof. I've used Nosler BTs in .30-06, and they are fine for whitetails at 100 yards, but almost everything else is, too. :uhm:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Have we ever discussed whether or not plastic tips maintain their ballistic integrity until point of impact?

    I've always assumed that they did, or they would not have hit the market, but have not seen actual proof. I've used Nosler BTs in .30-06, and they are fine for whitetails at 100 yards, but almost everything else is, too. :uhm:
    From what I understand, they do. I believe I've seen ballistic gel testing where they've recovered the tip along with the core.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    I would be very careful about selecting a bullet of the same weight and shape by using the claimed BC values from the manufacturers. There is no difference that I can see between the 168TMK and the 168 A-max that would account for 60 points more of BC for the former over the latter. Both are 168, tipped and have secant ogives & boat tails.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,519 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    I would be very careful about selecting a bullet of the same weight and shape by using the claimed BC values from the manufacturers. There is no difference that I can see between the 168TMK and the 168 A-max that would account for 60 points more of BC for the former over the latter. Both are 168, tipped and have secant ogives & boat tails.

    My thoughts as well.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    I would be very careful about selecting a bullet of the same weight and shape by using the claimed BC values from the manufacturers. There is no difference that I can see between the 168TMK and the 168 A-max that would account for 60 points more of BC for the former over the latter. Both are 168, tipped and have secant ogives & boat tails.

    I've seen Sierra provide BC data over a range of three or four velocities. Makes me wonder if Hornady just measures theirs at a different velocity range than Sierra.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    That is, of course, the first thing that comes to mind with these claims; various people do it differently, especially when dealing with the G1 BC value. This is one of the reasons I'm really only interested in the G7 values. At long range the G7 is much more usable than the G1, because it does not vary depending on velocity.

    I realize Sierra started posting the G1 values for different velocity ranges during Bryan Litz's tenure there and I don't have a problem with those values, provided they maintained the rigor in testing that Bryan brought with him. I haven't a clue how Hornady calculates their G1 BC value; they always seemed unpredictable to me, but I've not used Hornady bullets in several years now, so take that impression for what it's worth.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    That is, of course, the first thing that comes to mind with these claims; various people do it differently, especially when dealing with the G1 BC value. This is one of the reasons I'm really only interested in the G7 values. At long range the G7 is much more usable than the G1, because it does not vary depending on velocity.

    I realize Sierra started posting the G1 values for different velocity ranges during Bryan Litz's tenure there and I don't have a problem with those values, provided they maintained the rigor in testing that Bryan brought with him. I haven't a clue how Hornady calculates their G1 BC value; they always seemed unpredictable to me, but I've not used Hornady bullets in several years now, so take that impression for what it's worth.

    Heck, they may just pay a room full of Japanese 4th graders to do the calculus and get a mathematical estimation of BC.

    Nautical engineers mathematically estimated the LA Class submarine had a submerged speed of about 35 knots or so...but in sea trials it was 15 knots higher. So, math can get by a close, but...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,851 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I've seen Sierra provide BC data over a range of three or four velocities. Makes me wonder if Hornady just measures theirs at a different velocity range than Sierra.
    I'll wait for B. Litz to put an an accurate G7 BC for them.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I'll wait for B. Litz to put an an accurate G7 BC for them.

    Companies hesitate to use G7 coefficients because the number is lower than a G1 coefficient. Now, I know there is a mathematical and physical different between the two numbers and I, too, prefer G7 coefficient measurements. But the layman reloader, not so much. Ballistic coefficient is a big seller these days and a higher number advertises better.

    Now, that's all just my opinion, of course.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,851 Senior Member
    I know the reasoning behind using G1, I also know that plugging the G7 into my ballistics software yields MUCH more accurate trajectories out to the 500 yards (actually 510) I've tested it to.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement