Home Main Category General Firearms

what 1911?

beenjammin94beenjammin94 MemberPosts: 46 Member
Going to buy my son his first 1911, im a colt fanatic so that was my first thought but for all fairness what is the best 1911for the money and quality?

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,419 Senior Member
    CDNN has some good prices on Sig's, Remingtons, Para-Ordnance, and Colts, very good rebates on some for a few more days. That being said, mine is a Springfield loaded.

Bigslug did not say NOT to buy a Para-Ordnance when I asked him.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    That is a big big can of worms.

Do you have a budget ?
    Is he into accuracy or nostalgia ?
  • beenjammin94beenjammin94 Member Posts: 46 Member
    This is going to be a no holds barred when done. Trigger job, mag well and feed ramp if need done. Just trying to decide what is the best to start with.
    Yes its like asking whats better ford or chevy i know but im after facts not oppinions. If it was just oppinion hen mine would be all and it would be a colt. I want this to be the very best it can be might only get this oppertunity once.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    His first should be a full size. I also think it should hold true to it's history, you can get the fancier ones down the road. My first was a Remington Rand 1911A1 and the old war horse still holds a very special place in my heart. I have others but there is just something about a true GI piece. What about an old war horse Colt?

For new stuff there are too many to list without knowing what price range you are thinking so what you want us to help you spend?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    $1000.00 to 1500.00 when complete is what im thinking.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    what is the best 1911for the money and quality?

You have got to be kidding, yes?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Yup, big can o worms! IMHO you can't beat a Springfield range officer for the quality for price, in other words VALUE. Great trigger on mine, no colt rattle and shoots like a dream.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Buford wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding, yes?
    No there are 2 questions there best for money and best over all ?
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Yup, big can o worms! IMHO you can't beat a Springfield range officer for the quality for price, in other words VALUE. Great trigger on mine, no colt rattle and shoots like a dream.

I have two Colts and a Remington Rand and have yet to experience this Colt rattle.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Oh, well good for you.;-)
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Like i said i want facts like for instance _____ has exstractor problems or _____ has plastic parts instead of steal thats the info im looking for.
    My LGS just had a Springfield TRP come in and it's sitting with $1395 ($1350 CASH) on the tag. It has what you listed on it already (SA Custom Shop work, magwell, Armory Kote finish, checkered front strap and so on).
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Oh and one more kicker he really wants stainless if possible.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Yes its like asking whats better ford or chevy i know but im after facts not oppinions. If it was just oppinion hen mine would be all and it would be a colt. I want this to be the very best it can be might only get this oppertunity once.

We all know it is Chevy so go with a Colt and old to boot
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Right now, Colt's quality is VERY impressive. They're still forging and milling their parts both large and small in what has largely become a cast world, and are doing an excellent job of integrating computer-driven stuff into what used to be a hand-fitting process. Things like grip and thumb safeties that were hand-fit when I first took their armorer's class in 2004 were drop-in and had to be deliberately messed up so we could learn the process when I re-certed in 2012. Yes, there's the aesthetic annoyance of polymer trigger shoes and mainspring housings on some models, but these are easily and affordably dealt with if they bother you.

I also like that they haven't totally succumbed to the super-tight-tolerance Kool-Aid that so many companies use as a selling tool to idiots who will never shoot even a tired, rebuilt WWI relic to half of it's accuracy potential. They're snug, but only "still works in the real world of dirt" snug.

But there's a lot of good stuff out there depending on what you've got to spend. Modern casting will give you tougher metal than circa-1911 forging, so you've still got parts of sturdier material than the gun was originally spec'd for. For example, I recently went completely through one of the Phillipine Armscorp guns for a buddy - couldn't find any "suck" in it anywhere, and it short very well.

What does your boy want is a major question to ask, and what are you trying to say with the gift is another. If the thought of giving him the "real deal" with a horse on the side appeals to one or both of you, they make a hell of a pistol at this point in time. If it's purely an issue of function and desired features - what gives you the warm fuzzies?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Oh and one more kicker he really wants stainless if possible.

He therefore fails as an American and is worthy of only a Taurus. :jester:

Ruger - pretty good stainless option in a basic combat pistol format.

Springfield - several good stainless offerings at several price points. Can vouch for the black TRP.

Both of the above pretty darn close to authentic GI innard specifications which I like. The Springfields use the smaller diameter .38 Super firing pins made of titanium across all production, which is the only area where they drop the GI spec ball.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Yes its like asking whats better ford or chevy...

Honda!
    Honda!

They do make a good generator.
    Yes its like asking whats better ford or chevy ...
    Honda!

I think of Ford or Chevy = 1911 but wouldn't a Honda = Nambu :jester: ?
    - George Orwell
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I have:
    Springfield
    Kimber
    STI
    Sold my Colt a while back and I just got the STI but any would be good. I have owned a couple of Para Ordnance guns but they would not be my choice for a build gun.I think my choice for a started gun to customize would be a Springfield full size and go from there.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    I really like my Sprigfield Range Officer.......... However, instead of buying and upgrading I would go right to the TRP or Trophy Match for $1200-$1300 and not need to do anything to it.

trophy_match2.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I assume you're looking for a new pistol?

I highly recommend that at least you use Springfield as a marker, because they make nice, reliable 1911s in various levels of cost and features. My opinion, of course, but I do think that Springfield offers a great buy for the money. So even if you don't buy a Springfield, you can use them as a measuring rod while comparing other brands.

I'd recommend that regardless of which brand you choose, to not get the "unmodified" GI standard 1911. Historic, yes, but the "original" 1911 has a very small ejection port and this causes too many misfeeds. Instead, pick a pistol that at least has an enlarged "modern" ejection port.

For example, if you look at Springfield, they have the "GI" model which is the original design (or very close to it), and then, one notch up, they've got their "Mil-Spec" -- the Mil-Spec is about the least expensive 1911 I'd consider, as it does have the larger ejection port.

But there are plenty of other excellent brands besides Springfield, of course. Be sure to post pics of the new gift!
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,228 Senior Member

With that budget I would look hard at Dan Wesson.
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member

I would say Colt, Springfield, and Ruger. More or less in that order too but it depends what exactly he is looking for.

Dan Wesson would be good too if you can find one in that price range.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,626 Senior Member
    If you have $1500 to spend, get a Colt. They're fine pistols. And he likes Colts. Great resale value. Say no more.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    If you have $1500 to spend, get a Colt. They're fine pistols. And he likes Colts. Great resale value. Say no more.
    I'd go for the Colt, too, I shot one that Fishheadguy brought to the shoot
    it was a great shooter right off the bat, no need to get used to the trigger.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Another vote for Kimber; I have a CDP that I love and use as my EDC, despite my recently-acquired preference for steel frames (no deficiency in aluminum, just a different feel for me).
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,236 Senior Member
    For the 1,000 to 1500 price range I would look at the Kimber, although you can get a nice great shooting Sprinfield for a LOT less. One I don't own but seem to have nice 1911's is the Dan Wesson line, I would check them out as well. Although if you come across a good used series 70 Colt, I would consider it as well.