Home Main Category General Firearms

I'm not getting rid of THIS one! (new to me J-Frame)

EliEli Senior MemberPosts: 3,074 Senior Member
Over the last 8 years of carrying (I'm 26) I've owned a model 60, 2 model 642s, a model 431, and a model 442. For some stupid reason or another, I've sold or traded off each J-Frame, then went out less than a year later and bought another. As far as I know, I'm over the randomly selling and trading part of my life, but I still found myself without a J.

I've been casually on the lookout for a NPE gun for the last year or so. On the 26th I saw posted on Armslist an add for an "airWeight .38", the picture was of the starboard side of a stainless J-Frame. I assumed it was a 642 and for the price he was asking, I assumed that it had a lock. When I meet up with the guy, he hands me the gun, I go to release the cylinder and notice that it's a no-lock model, when I open the cylinder I notice that the star is blued instead of stainless.....I know what that means, neato!

So, for a bit less than 3 bills I picked up a no dash, electroless nickle 442, that other than a couple of small spots, looks to be in really good condition. I'm holding on to this one ****!

s442.jpg

s4422.jpg

With the next semester starting back in a couple of weeks and me only working part time, I now have about $0.14 to my name.....but all in all, I'm happy with how this years "gun stuff" went.

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    uh... yeah! :)
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Nice looking pocket blaster. You suck!
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,146 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    With the next semester starting back in a couple of weeks and me only working part time, I now have about $0.14 to my name.....

This is unfortunate . . . you won't be able to afford the purple metal flake paint for your car.:jester:

Pre-idiot lock - YAY! +P rated? I can never keep all the variants straight. . .

Nicely done!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Purty thing, Nice pocket gun.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    +P rated? I can never keep all the variants straight. . .

Nope, but that's never really been a concern of mine. I plan on loading it with whatever 158gr. round hits closest to POA and calling it good.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Nope, but that's never really been a concern of mine. I plan on loading it with whatever 158gr. round hits closest to POA and calling it good.

I would too......nice one Eli
    Doesn't make up for you selling that longslide but it's a start.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    Nice!

Except for the chambering, of course. I really like the internal hammer Smiths. In .357 Mag, as they should be.

;-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Nice rosco there. I'd keep that one too!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Zee wrote: »
    Nice!

Except for the chambering, of course. I really like the internal hammer Smiths. In .357 Mag, as they should be.

;-)

Does this mean that you're going to sell me your 340PD for less than $300?

:tooth:

I would prefer a .357 as well, but since this is going to be my "I'm not carrying a gun" gun, I'm okay with it being in .38 special.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    Nice shooter. Great deal.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    Nice :yousuck:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    I'm holding on to this one ****!
    We'll see about that :roll:

:yousuck:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    We'll see about that :roll:

Oh hush, you.

:wink:
    Oh hush, you.

:wink:
    You know I love you, my brother-from-another-mother :hug:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

cpj wrote: »
    At least you can't melt stainless/nickel/whatever.

Oh ye of little faith....
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    At least you can't melt stainless/nickel/whatever.

Yea but that soldering gun can play havoc on wood or rubber grips.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Nice little Horace n Daniel :guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Eli, I believe you will like the Airweight. Nice piece to carry, I really like my 637. did change the grips so speedloaders would work...
    IMGP0038-3_zpsa7cd9784.jpg

By the way, get a good grip when shooting +P's I won't let the wife shoot + P's. They will crack your knuckles.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Nice pick-up. They are cool little revolvers, and .38 Special is not 'chopped liver.' :up:

Mine has an ignition key and a stainless steel cylinder (et al), but I'm not totally allergic to 'safety' features, as long as I can turn them off and throw away the key. I rarely carry mine, but I like it well enough to keep it, anyway.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    Great Find! My 642 is my regular carry piece. Just point and shoot, no worries about jacking a slide or fumbling with a safety!! I load up light wad cutter loads and can shoot it all day. About five grains of Tite Group and a 125 and I can practice +P's, but they buck pretty good.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    +P's, but they buck pretty good.
    They can and will if not a good hold on it.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    sarg1c wrote: »
    They can and will if not a good hold on it.

My wife has an LCR, so I let her shoot most of WC's so she can get more confidence in her shooting!
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,236 Senior Member
    Nice pick up and a great price. Congrats! :worthy:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member

Those guns are perfection for personal defense!!! so is your choice of ammo ! Lots of wisdom there....... I like a pocket holster wallet type for that type of gun.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    How's the fit in your hand? My hands aren't what I would call big, but in my search for a sub-compact I have avoided revolvers categorically because I haven't found one that fit my hands with any confidence. That grip looks very interesting.

Either way, nice grab.:up:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    How's the fit in your hand? My hands aren't what I would call big, but in my search for a sub-compact I have avoided revolvers categorically because I haven't found one that fit my hands with any confidence. That grip looks very interesting.

Either way, nice grab.:up:

Obviously it's a personal preference thing, but I like the fit okay. The little J-Frames aren't really that comfortable, but I shoot them so much better than I do the pocket automatics that are available today. And even though a J-Frame has about the same footprint as a sub-compact Glock, the J just carries in the pocket so much better.

Make no mistake, 96% of the time I'm going to be carrying a Glock 17A and at least one spare mag, but there are rare occasions where I need a carry gun that I am 100% certain it's not going to be discovered. That's where the J-Frame comes in. In those situations I have been carrying my 317 (.22lr J-Frame), but I definitely feel better with 5 rounds of .38spc as opposed to 8 rounds of .22lr .
    You mean you haven't sold/traded it YET???
    :rotflmao:

• USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    You mean you haven't sold/traded it YET???
    :rotflmao:

It's only been two days. He's not Wambli.

Eli, looks good. My dad picked up a very similar 638 for my mom, and I'll probably get one for myself too, one of these days.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member