Home Main Category General Firearms

Meplat trimming: is anyone this anal?

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,535 Senior Member
I may be alone, but I'm looking hard at meplat trimming hardware. I didn't take this picture, but most any OTM or HPBT match bullets look like these out of the box:

smk-meplat.jpg

Those are SMKs.

Sierra, Hornady--all of them. The meplats look like abominations (to me, anyways). I have half a mind to get a meplat trimmer and bullet pointer die and shape things to my heart's content. I measured variations in a box of 100 150gr SMK 7mm bullets to be as much as .009". Am I off my rocker?
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    Yes, you're off your rocker.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,757 Senior Member
    Wonderful thing about reloading...you can get as silly as you want... whatever makes you feel better
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Yes, that's totally anal-retentive. Go for it if it makes you feel better.
    Jerry
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Wonderful thing about reloading...you can get as silly as you want... whatever makes you feel better
    Teach wrote: »
    Yes, that's totally anal-retentive. Go for it if it makes you feel better.
    Jerry
    Gene L wrote: »
    Yes, you're off your rocker.

2-to-1.

Whew. Close...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Big slug....Zee.......(hides)
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    In theory, a very slight reduction in BC in exchange for a more consistent BC. Unless you're shooting Benchrest (which requires a whole lot of time spent on E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G), your time is better spent in other areas of handloading. Fact is, the crimped nose match HP seems to be steadily disappearing in favor of polycarbonate tips. Might make more sense to spend the extra nickle per slug on the new Matchkings rather than time on nose jobs.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    H-E-L-L no!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I reckon a person could trim their pubic hairs too, but probably not necessary, although it may make them feel better or pampered!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    2-to-1.

Whew. Close...

Uhhhhhh...no....3 - 0....I said YOU can get as silly as you want...
    I'm not saying it won't make a difference for those that need it to make a difference. Even if it's just piece of mind.

I AM saying...........it won't make a difference for me. And if it did..........I still wouldn't want to do it.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I reckon a person could trim their pubic hairs too, but probably not necessary, although it may make them feel better or pampered!

Getting your pubic hairs trimmed is pampered....Trimming your own is just weird....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Never have and never will. Hell, I've shot bullets that had the lead tip smashed down due to recoil in a magazine and saw no tangible difference in where they struck on paper.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    cpj wrote: »
    Call me a weirdo.

I heard you were pampered....
    Call me a weirdo.

Weirdo.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    And if you shave them in a heart shape, you can be cool like me!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    You can't ignore this. Order your dies yet?

Yes. They are on backorder.

And I saw what you did. When you did it.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    FWIW, I think Ernie trims meplats and points some of his match and uber long range bullets.
    Me? Heck no. I'm not near good enough, or shoot far enough for it to matter. Besides, that's what A Max are for.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Then what are you going to do with the difference in weight after you trim....
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    sarg1c wrote: »
    Then what are you going to do with the difference in weight after you trim....

I bet those buggered up noses are the reason for the weight difference that is already inherent in any box of hollow point bullets.

I have weighed and examined Hornady Match (hollow point) bullets in .223, trying to determine what causes some of them to be branded with the Hornady name, while other seemingly identical ones get sold to Midway as blemished. In a whole box of either, they will vary up to 0.5 or more, on a digital scale with a 0.2 claimed precision.

Having said that, they all shot with more than enough precision for my very average shooting skills.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    If you shoot F-class and want to be competitive at long range, you must trim meplats and point bullets, if you shoot Berger or (especially) SMKs. I avoid that trouble by buying superior bullets.
    Pegasus wrote: »
    If you shoot F-class and want to be competitive at long range, you must trim meplats and point bullets, if you shoot Berger or (especially) SMKs. I avoid that trouble by buying superior bullets.

True. I've looked at some of them too. They really aren't out-of-the-park expensive compared to Berger.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    True. I've looked at some of them too. They really aren't out-of-the-park expensive compared to Berger.

I know nothing....

However if your goal is to shoot long distances consistently, then eliminating any variation will help the farther you shoot.

The bullet is one of the variations you can control, especially weight and size / shape. Shooting the exact same diameter, exact same length and exact same weight will give you more consistency by definition. We all know this is magnified at long distance.

I don't shoot past 100 yards and could not care.

Good examples? match small bore .22's and match air rifle pellets. Individually made to be "perfect".

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

No they are not especially when you factor in the time to trim and point meplats with the Bergers. I load the JLKs from the bucket and reap the benefits.
    Pegasus wrote: »
    No they are not especially when you factor in the time to trim and point meplats with the Bergers. I load the JLKs from the bucket and reap the benefits.

JLK is who I was browsing. Very sensible prices. Almost mainstream prices.
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Checked out some solid copper bullets turned on a cnc lathe, last weekend. Not sure of the price point yet, but extremely concentric and consistent.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    JLK is who I was browsing. Very sensible prices. Almost mainstream prices.

Yeah, Swampy told me he was hoping to be able to sell his bullets through distributors. I think he has one and maybe two so far. His bullets are topnotch.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Never did it myself, a friend who was far more into precision shooting did 100 Sierra 168 MK for me, maybe I'm wasn't that good a shooter, but I couldn't see any difference.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Well, its weird, but then again I like weird. But you are definitely off your rocker. Probably as a result of too much time in the Florida sun, without a hat, LOL...........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    I have been known to do this from time to time..............................................
    I may be alone, but I'm looking hard at meplat trimming hardware. I didn't take this picture, but most any OTM or HPBT match bullets look like these out of the box:

smk-meplat.jpg

Those are SMKs.

Sierra, Hornady--all of them. The meplats look like abominations (to me, anyways). I have half a mind to get a meplat trimmer and bullet pointer die and shape things to my heart's content. I measured variations in a box of 100 150gr SMK 7mm bullets to be as much as .009". Am I off my rocker?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    And if you shave them in a heart shape, you can be cool like me!

Yeah Valentine's day is coming up. With the other more perfect bullets out there it is probably cheaper in the long run to spend a few cents more per bullet.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct