Meplat trimming: is anyone this anal?

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,391 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Call me a weirdo.
    Welcome to the club!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Another good reason to shoot AMax. All those pretty, red, perfectly shaped tips. Especially the 80 grain .223. Those are pure sex in copper and polymer tip form.
    If you look closer to those pretty red tips you may find that they are not really that perfect...depends on how they are treated....
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Nine thou?! Is that a typo?
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    toymachine wrote: »
    Nine thou?! Is that a typo?

If we're talking OAL of the bullet to the tip, I could see it. The finish step for those SMK hollowpoints leaves a good bit of material variance at the end. However, if you're doing business properly, you've long ago ditched using the tip for COAL measurements on completed rifle cartridges and started measuring OAL using a Stoney Point/Hornady OAL gauge set. You will see a lot less length variance when you measure this way.

I still record COAL measurements to the bullet tip for all of my ammo as a backup in case I damage or lose my Stoney Point COAL set, if only to have a starting point without it. I also exclusively use COAL measurements for handgun ammo. Otherwise, I never use that measurement on rifle loads.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    I guess just dealing with numbers, I forget how small the measurement actually is. Still, if I'm reloading for precision, I'd want to ensure closer tolerances than "almost a hundredth".

Not necessarily condemning any bullet manufacturers, just encouraging investment in metplat trimming/measuring technology. BTW, the CNC operators I posted of earlier hold a spec of +/-.0003", preferring to hold it under .0002".
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs