Home Main Category General Firearms

Reamer ordered, now the wait begins

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 20,850 Senior Member
I sort of put a "teaser" in my "firearms related Christmas gifts" thread about having ordered a Shilen CS #1 contour .264" 8T barrel.
Today I ordered the reamer from Dave Manson.

The barrel is going on my Rem 799 that is currently chambered in 7.62x39 that I CANNOT get to shoot worth a "crap" for anything. I've tried free floating the barrel, pillar AND glass bedding the action, full length bedding the barrel and bullets from .308" up to .312" (Barrel slugs out @ .3105") NONE of them have made the rifle happy. So for the first time I can remember, I'm giving up on one before I could make it shoot like I wanted and am rebarrelling it.

I really WANT to love that rifle, since it's short, light and handy, I am chambering it for something I already have experience with and love. HOWEVER, my other rifle in this chambering, while card splitting accurate, tips the scales at nearly 10 pounds. Nice off the bench, but a pain to carry around. SO, since the action has a 7.62x39 bolt face, can handle the length I normally load the new round to, and shouldn't require much adjustment to the feed lips, I'm turning it into a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun.

I haven't fully decided on the specs yet, the main one being where will the new tube be finished at between 16"-20"?
Right now I am leaning toward 18" to keep its "handy" size and weight, while still delivering "enough" velocity for my hunting needs.

Our very own "Teach" is going to do the work, since he's familiar with the quirks of the 799's after building the "Scooter" for Wambli.
His motorcycle accident has put him behind in his shop work, but he does think he'll be able to have it done in time for next hunting season (Which is all I'm asking for time wise).

Once the barrel's delivered later this week, I'll make a run up to the farm and drop off the rifle & new barrel. Probably won't see it again until the SE Shoot the end of May and it might look just like I did when I dropped it off then :uhm:

Well, no more suspense.... just an indeterminate WAIT :tissue:

:popcorn:
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I sort of put a "teaser" in my "firearms related Christmas gifts" thread about having ordered a Shilen CS #1 contour .264" 8T barrel.

The barrel is going on my Rem 799 that is currently chambered in 7.62x39 that I CANNOT get to shoot worth a "crap" for anything. I've tried free floating the barrel, pillar AND glass bedding the action, full length bedding the barrel and bullets from .308" up to .312" (Barrel slugs out @ .3105") NONE of them have made the rifle happy. So for the first time I can remember, I'm giving up on one before I could make it shoot like I wanted and am rebarrelling it.

I really WANT to love that rifle, since it's short, light and handy, I am chambering it for something I already have experience with and love. HOWEVER, my other rifle in this chambering, while card splitting accurate, tips the scales at nearly 10 pounds. Nice off the bench, but a pain to carry around. SO, since the action has a 7.62x39 bolt face, can handle the length I normally load the new round to, and shouldn't require much adjustment to the feed lips, I'm turning it into a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun.

I haven't fully decided on the specs yet, the main one being where will the new tube be finished at between 16"-20"?
    Right now I am leaning toward 18" to keep its "handy" size and weight, while still delivering "enough" velocity for my hunting needs.

Our very own "Teach" is going to do the work, since he's familiar with the quirks of the 799's after building the "Scooter" for Wambli.
    His motorcycle accident has put him behind in his shop work, but he does think he'll be able to have it done in time for next hunting season (Which is all I'm asking for time wise).

Once the barrel's delivered later this week, I'll make a run up to the farm and drop off the rifle & new barrel. Probably won't see it again until the SE Shoot the end of May and it might look just like I did when I dropped it off then :uhm:

Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc

Is it done yet?
    No?
    Shucks!
    Tic Toc.....................

The wait would kill me, but I bet when teach is finished it will be a lazer gun.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    This should be a fun, lightweight gun project with incredibly mild recoil. I can't wait to see the end result.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    This should be a fun, lightweight gun project with incredibly mild recoil. I can't wait to see the end result.
    Yes sir, I believe it will
    Like I said in the OP, I've been wanting to love that rifle since I bought it 3-4 years ago but its inconsistency problem has prevented it.

With a pencil thin barrel, I'm not expecting it to be able to "hang" with my 6.5 AR, however KNOWING it will be able to actually kill something I'm aiming at, as long as I do my part, will go a LONG way to igniting the "love" I've been wanting to have for it :love:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Diver43 wrote: »
    Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc

Is it done yet?

The wait would kill me, but I bet when teach is finished it will be a lazer gun.
    Maybe not a "Laser" with that light of a barrel, but I'm expecting it to at least be predictable, as in knowing when I pull the trigger, the bullet will land within 1" of where the crosshairs are (2" groups)

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    A bolt Grendel ought to be interesting.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    A bolt Grendel ought to be interesting.

D
    I'm hoping so, SHOULD be FUN. I ran the numbers through QL last night, and by changing to CFE223, which wasn't on the market when I settled on my accuracy load for my AR, I should be able to push a 123 A-Max/SST pretty much the same velocity from an 18" as I am with H4895 from my 24" AR :up:

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    The only real disadvantage of a pencil barrel is they get squirrely when hot. Not usually an issue on hunting/bolt actions.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,822 Senior Member
    Well, it sucks you never got the 7.62x39 to shoot, I really enjoy mine. I do look forward to seeing how the transformation works out. A 6.5 in that little package should be very handy.

Sako
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    Sounds like a fun build. Should be a nice handy hunting rifle!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...the little Grendel might just surprise you, lot of time, effort, & brow sweat went into getting it "right". If nothing else, it's definitely a step up, ballistically...

...I'd really consider "balance", &, well, aesthetics when you choose your barrel length. You look @ a Ruger Compact, a Model 7, or that abomination Savage used to call a "Lightweight Compact", & the balance point on them is clear back against the trigger guard. Think about picking up a 2X4, easy if you lift it @ the center, not so much towards either end. End of the day, after continuously shifting your grip, that little, light, unbalanced rifle weighs as much as a flintlock. Having a little more weight towards the muzzle seems to make 'em point better, too, so, personally, I'd opt for a 20" barrel, maybe even pick up a little MV as a bonus...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    I like the concept. Hang on to that reamer, I may want to buy into it some day. It will made a darn fine deer sized hunting rifle.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Thanks guys :beer:
    sakodude wrote: »
    Well, it sucks you never got the 7.62x39 to shoot, I really enjoy mine. I do look forward to seeing how the transformation works out. A 6.5 in that little package should be very handy.

Sako
    Sako, having one, you know how handy it is, and why mine's inability to put two bullets in the same zip code is so frustrating.

Jermanator wrote: »
    I like the concept. Hang on to that reamer, I may want to buy into it some day. It will made a darn fine deer sized hunting rifle.
    Actually you'll have to talk to Jerry about that. It will stay with him.

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    Brilliant plan! I knew there was a reason I liked you ;)
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I like it! That seems like a much better idea than what I thought up.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Brilliant plan! I knew there was a reason I liked you ;)
    :tooth:
    I like it! That seems like a much better idea than what I thought up.
    Glad you approve :beer:

That barrel was delivered today, in a HUGE honkin' box (large enough for the complete rifle minus the scope) for a barrel, 1 box of loaded 223 ammo and a TWELVE FREAKIN' FEET string of the green "Air bubbles" they use for padding.

With Teach's dad's funeral being today, I'll probably wait until next week at the earliest, before I run the rifle & barrel up to him.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Here's what a skinny 21" barrel can do on a 799 action- - - -at least in .257 bore!

scooter_group_003.JPG

:guns:
    Jerry
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    I had a similar thought after seeing a Rem bolt action in 7.62x39 (either a 700 or 799, can't remember) at a gun show last year. Unfortunately, I didn't think about it until a few days after the show, and didn't have the money at the time anyways.

I can't wait to see how yours turns out.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    WG, the new barrel is fairly close in contour to the original, which I like balance wise. I'm pretty sure the OEM barrel is ~18" (never actually measured it), so since the slightly smaller hole, in a similar contour, will make the new barrel a wee bit heavier ( MAYBE an ounce???) I'll probably ask Teach to cut the new one at a similar length. Or the nearest whole inch, since I suspect the original is an even mm in length :uhm:

usufb, AFAIK, the 799 is the only bolt 7.62x39 to wear the big R

Works for me Jerry :up:

Unlike the Scooter, which was walking into all sorts of unknown territory. I have plenty of experience doing load work in the 6.5G and there's a plethora of pressure tested data (and even factory ammo) out there.

• wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    WG, the new barrel is fairly close in contour to the original, which I like balance wise. I'm pretty sure the OEM barrel is ~18" (never actually measured it), so since the slightly smaller hole, in a similar contour, will make the new barrel a wee bit heavier ( MAYBE an ounce???) I'll probably ask Teach to cut the new one at a similar length. Or the nearest whole inch, since I suspect the original is an even mm in length :uhm:

...I think Jerry's got it right, 20" or even 21" would add a certain elegance or elan to what in the original version looks like something cpj & his hacksaw got at...:tooth::devil:

...barrels are a lot like flyrods, you can make a long one shorter, but ya can't make a short one longer...
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member

sometimes a little pressure at the end of forearm helps, but you are probably headed in the right direction. I need a .204 ruger barrel for a Savage axis. do they exist anywhere.
    sarg1c wrote: »
    I need a .204 ruger barrel for a Savage axis. do they exist anywhere.
    If you're asking me, I haven't a clue :uhm:

sarg1c wrote: »
    I need a .204 ruger barrel for a Savage axis. do they exist anywhere.

A pretty good gunsmith, a lathe, and a chamber reamer can make just about anything happen. When making up a custom-barreled rig, even the Savage barrel nut that everybody cries about can be eliminated.
    Jerry
    Adding a contrasting-color forend tip to the 799 stock balances out the extra couple of inches of barrel nicely. This one's made of Cocobolo.

Scooter_finished_019.JPG

Scooter_finished_012.JPG

Jerry