Home Main Category General Firearms

Cleaning tip from VZ Grips

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
I have an original pair of Simonich Gunner 1911 grips that Rob Simonich made for me shortly before his untimely 2003 death in a truck accident; I've had them on my TRP Operator for the last few years since I sometimes shoot pins with it. and August in Virginia necessitates a firm grip for speed events.

They'd gotten fairly scuzzy with sweat and skin residue, so I removed them and hand-washed them with mild soap, but that left them looking grey and washed out. So I called VZ and asked them the best way to refresh them without the washout.

Their answer? "Wash them, dry them, then spray them with WD40 and let them dry overnight."

They're drying now. I'll take a pic tomorrow and show you the result, but once again WD40 saves the day! :beer:
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    I have an original pair of Simonich Gunner 1911 grips that Rob Simonich made for me shortly before his untimely 2003 death in a truck accident; I've had them on my TRP Operator for the last few years since I sometimes shoot pins with it. and August in Virginia necessitates a firm grip for speed events.

They'd gotten fairly scuzzy with sweat and skin residue, so I removed them and hand-washed them with mild soap, but that left them looking grey and washed out. So I called VZ and asked them the best way to refresh them without the washout.

Their answer? "Wash them, dry them, then spray them with WD40 and let them dry overnight."

They're drying now. I'll take a pic tomorrow and show you the result, but once again WD40 saves the day! :beer:

Wash them... In a dishwasher?
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member

Well, that's how to clean Glocks ... right?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,635 Senior Member
    That's interesting
    I wonder if someone just lightly sprayed a set of grips with WD-40 and brushed them with a toothbrush you wouldn't get the same effect.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member

I did it by hand with Dawn dish soap to get rid of any grease that may have been on them. I'd be afraid a dishwasher might be too hot and caustic, but I'm not sure. Since these are original Gunners, I'd rather not risk it.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    That's interesting
    I wonder if someone just lightly sprayed a set of grips with WD-40 and brushed them with a toothbrush you wouldn't get the same effect.

Probably, with a soft toothbrush to get all the nooks and crannies. Or crooks and nannies, whichever.

NRA Endowment Member
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I would think saddle soap would do nicely.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct