Good duck hunting story

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,487 Senior Member
I decided to take a newbe duck hunting last weekend. We were hunting the local public refuge so I decided to go as far from the crowds as posssible. We went to an area where the pond is hudge in hopes of finding teal and sprig. There were four tulle islands in the pond and we staked out the center one. I set the decoys where they needed to be and everything looked perfect and realistic including the Great Snowy Egret decoy that I had set on the edge of the tulles in front of Johnnie. Shoot time was 7am and the only thing flying were spoonies. By 8am the flights ended and by 9am Johnnie was bored. We were sitting on swamp stools tucked in the edge of the tulles. He was stooped over, head down and playing with his cell phone. I was enjoyong the quiet morning and sat spell bound as a Great Snowy Egret with a five foot wing span came over the tulles 150 yards off. I didn't know it at that point but it had love in it's heart as it turned and headed right at us. When it reached the edge of our island in front of Johnnie it flared it's wings, dropped it's feet and tried to land on Johnnie's head.

Johnnie was up in a shot waving his arms and shout uncomprehendable noises. The Egret was flailing it's wings, squaking and kicking him as it tried to gain altatude to correct the mistake it had made. They exchanged pleasantries as the Egret left. I was doing my best to regain my balance on my stool while LMAO. It was only my the grace of God that his cell phone, shotgun and I didn't end up in bottom of the marsh.

A realistic decoy spread has advantages. Another great hunting story I'll tell for the rest of my life.
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    And that right there is why we hunt. Great story!

A few years back, I sat in the dark waiting for a morning of dove hunting to start when I noticed something above my head against the gray, dawn sky. When I kicked on my headlamp, an owl was hovering just a couple of feet above my head! Best I could tell, he though my headlamp was some sort of small rodent dancing around and strongly considered attacking it. Like Johnnie, I was moments away from having an interesting ornament perched on the ol' noggin.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    Funny stories----never been that dramatic for me, though I have had a hawk land on the duck blind I was in.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    Oh, the way my world works I have plenty of stories.

I was hunting a club with a friend just before Christmas one year. There was a low fog deck above us and we had'nt seen a duck for almost an hour. Boredom and the Spirit of Christmas overtook me. I set my wing setter to the key of Sprig and began to play "Oh Come All Ye Faithful".

Nine Sprig droped out of the fog and tried to land on our blind.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: