.243 Winchester and 100gr Hornady InterLock Bullet - Field Report

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,600 Senior Member
Weeeeeellllllllllllll, in light of another forum members mishap with this bullet/cartridge combination.............I decide to give them a try. For science, ya know? Besides, I just happen to have a rifle zeroed for a load using this bullet and I'd not taken any game with that combination. After the issues he was having..........it seemed a good time to try.

Went hunting with my best friend yesterday evening on a ranch that needed some does and spikes culled. I planned to let my friend use my rifle while I did a bit of rattling and calling for him. See what we could drum up. We left the house in miserable cold, damp, drizzly conditions and nothing changed when we got to the ranch.

Let me pause to say that I apologize for the lack of my typical scenic pictures. But, with the rain...........I wasn't breaking out the camera. So, you'll just have to imagine.

We set up about 4:20 along a long fence line that separated a alfalfa field from thick brush with a wide sendaro between. The sendaro had big mesquite trees in the middle of it that acted as decent range markers. I started the rattling sequence and went off and on until about 4:45 with no luck. We were just discussing moving to a different location when I spotted a doe enter the sendaro about 480 yards down. I didn't want to push this cartridge that far. Especially with a gun he'd never even shot before. So, we waited. Maybe she'd come closer or maybe more deer would come out. Eventually, more deer came out way down by the original doe. Then, another doe came out about 280 yards away. Now, we were cooking! She meandered around in the sendaro a bit and we gave it a little more time to see what else came out. Finally, we decided to go ahead and take her. So, my buddy set up in a sitting position with a BOG Pod Tripod in front and a BOG-Pod Tripod in the back with me looking over his shoulder calling the range and wind and such while looking through binos. At 225 yards, she was facing us. When she turned broadside to walk to the fence, I told him to send it.

"BOOM!"..........."POP!"

I heard the bullet hit and saw the doe hunch and lurch in the air. With one bound and a leap, she cleared the fence and ran off into the field. I lost sight of her quickly as there was some scrub mesquite in the field that obscured my view. But, I knew he'd hit her. I heard it and saw her reaction. He said he was trying to hit her in the heart, so we sat there a few minutes and then packed up and quietly walked down the fence line to where she was standing.

Once there, I saw the dig marks from here hooves where she lunged forward and jumped the fence. No blood. I saw on the other side of the fence where she landed. No blood. I walked a few more feet along her direction of travel and then, looking forward, I saw her laying dead out in the field. As I walked toward her, the blood trail appeared and grew greater and greater until, as I reached her, it was spilled out in a large bloody ring where she'd stopped, turned in a circle and fell. She's traveled 62 yards from impact to her final resting place.

Our work here was done. But............it was early enough...........and I happened to bring a revolver with me............so, we continued hunting. But, that part of the story is for a different thread.

Fast forward to dark.............and the rain..........and retrieving my friends doe.

DSCN1357-Copy_zpse908947b.jpg

Back at the house, conditions were worsening. It started to thunder and lightening, and the mist turned to drizzle and then to rain. With no shelter in his driveway, my friend did what any friend would do. He held an umbrella over me while I butchered the doe and conducted my autopsy. I didn't stay dry..............but I got less wet. The autopsy somewhat reflects my rush to get done and out of the rain.

Range: 225 yards
Bullet: 100gr Hornady InterLock
Muzzle Velocity: 2,756 fps from an 18" barrel
Impact Velocity: 2,278 fps (est.)
Distance Traveled: 62 yrds

Entrance
DSCN1364_zps277ea8de.jpg

Entrance Under Hide (her leg was back on impact as she walked forward)
DSCN1368_zps024d3fc3.jpg

The bullet broke her leg just above the joint.

Entrance Under Leg
DSCN1374_zpsd260ce2c.jpg

Entrance Under Ribs (bullet struck bottom of heart)
DSCN1376_zpsc9c595e7.jpg

Heart/Lungs
DSCN1377_zps99be6e5f.jpg

DSCN1379_zps60346f69.jpg

DSCN1378_zpsa3444396.jpg

Exit Chest Cavity
DSCN1381_zps25d23ea9.jpg

Exit Trough Ribs
DSCN1382_zps2efcb4ad.jpg

Exit Under Hide
DSCN1367_zps5395091f.jpg

Exit
DSCN1365_zps4e2eca51.jpg

Now, this is a very perplexing result. We see that the bullet struck low in the chest cavity. Breaking the on side leg, it barely struck the bottom of the heart. Then, passing through the chest, the temporary cavity caused bruising to the bottom of both lungs and broke 1 rib on exit. The vitals were barely "touched"! Yet, that doe bled rather well. Granted, it was a slow start on the blood trail, but it increased rapidly as it progressed. AND.......she died within 62 yards. With not more than a nick in the heart and bruising to the lungs!

That is a result I would not have anticipated with that little damage to vitals. Her chest cavity, as you can see, was filled with coagulated blood and the lower entry/exit aided in the blood trail left behind. What baffles me, is the amount of blood from so little damage to the heart. And, how short a distance she ran with only bruising to the lungs.

Needless to say, I was impressed with the terminal performance given the path of the bullet.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,650 Senior Member
    I think she bled profusely from the outset, until it filled the chest cavity up to the level of the holes. I shot a buck, a few years ago with a 165 gr. Nosler BT in .30-06, and got very similar results.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,919 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I think she bled profusely from the outset, until it filled the chest cavity up to the level of the holes. I shot a buck, a few years ago with a 165 gr. Nosler BT in .30-06, and got very similar results.

Yep, pumped it out the bottom of the heart, 62yds for the hydraulics to lose pressure.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,342 Senior Member

That's exactly what I'm thinking, too. The blesbok I shot in Africa was hit squarely in the heart, complete penetration...and no blood on the ground until the spot where he died. The cause? Exactly what you stated. He was already dead before the blood reached the holes, but his body cavity was filled.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,600 Senior Member
    Oh, I'm not perplexed by the distance before blood on the ground. That, I understand.

What puzzles me is the AMOUNT of blood on the ground and inside the body cavity with only a nick to the heart. Basically, there was much more blood than I would have expected with the hit to the very bottom of the heart. I would have thought there would be less blood due to being less physical damage.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    I wonder, if the lungs were bleeding too, from the hydrostatic shock. That severe of a bruise, is gonna bleed. How much, and externally? is the question.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    You mean the Interlock isn't a terrible bullet design that won't kill deer? Are you saying it a perfectly adequate deer bullet? If you put the bullet in the boiler room at least.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,525 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Oh, I'm not perplexed by the distance before blood on the ground. That, I understand.

What puzzles me is the AMOUNT of blood on the ground and inside the body cavity with only a nick to the heart. Basically, there was much more blood than I would have expected with the hit to the very bottom of the heart. I would have thought there would be less blood due to being less physical damage.
    Distance to blood and 62 yards to down is acceptable and makes sense. Like you pointed out, a step and a bound and she was gone. That covered 4-5 yards, if she was bounding she probably had 2 -3 more bounds in her before realizing she was dead.

Even though the pump only took a little damage, the pump was still hit. The secondary wounding caused by the pressure wave took out the lungs, lots of blood to lose there. How much blood was on the ground, really? 2 cups? A quart? You could paint a wall with a quart of paint, so even though it is "a lot", it really isn't that much.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    You mean the Interlock isn't a terrible bullet design that won't kill deer? Are you saying it a perfectly adequate deer bullet? If you put the bullet in the boiler room at least.

Nope, it was a fluke. You have to have a barnesX or more expensive out of the magnum of the day with proof loads pushing the bullet at max velocity. Didnt you know that?
    Nope, it was a fluke. You have to have a barnesX or more expensive out of the magnum of the day with proof loads pushing the bullet at max velocity. Didnt you know that?

Or Sierra Gamekings. The InterLocks are too hard for deer. They don't expand and just punch right through.

Or, so I hear.

(Couldn't help myself. :p)
    Distance to blood and 62 yards to down is acceptable and makes sense. Like you pointed out, a step and a bound and she was gone. That covered 4-5 yards, if she was bounding she probably had 2 -3 more bounds in her before realizing she was dead.

Even though the pump only took a little damage, the pump was still hit. The secondary wounding caused by the pressure wave took out the lungs, lots of blood to lose there. How much blood was on the ground, really? 2 cups? A quart? You could paint a wall with a quart of paint, so even though it is "a lot", it really isn't that much.

This is true. From impact and her bound to the fence and the jump over probably covered 7-8 yards. I just went back this afternoon and took pics.

And yes, while it seemed a lot of blood in that it was spread out, the volume outside the body was probably less than that inside the chest cavity.
    I went back to the ranch this afternoon to take pictures. Now that the sun is finally shining after a week!!!

Here was the view from his shooting position.

DSCN1398-Copy_zps55f2a2fb.jpg

The arrow points to where the doe was standing when he shot.

A close up of the impact location.

DSCN1399-Copy_zps55a465e1.jpg

The vertical arrow is her location and the horizontal arrow is her direction of travel after the shot.

The Mexican Eagles are eating some blood that spilled on the ground when we drug her back to that spot before walking to get the truck and driving down there.

Here is a view of her direction of travel.

DSCN1404-Copy_zpse0e90f0f.jpg

The left arrow is where she jumped the fence and the right arrow is were she fell.
    Or Sierra Gamekings. The InterLocks are too hard for deer. They don't expand and just punch right through.

Or, so I hear.

I like interlocks. The son shoots them out of the 25-06 with great effect. That green and yellow boxed stuff I seem to come across the batches made on Monday after a 3 day drunk. More than one bad experience with more than one cartridge. Yes I like Sierras, and I only carry 3 into the woods. Since I started carrying Sierras, I bring 2 back. I'm ok with that.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,802 Senior Member

Or, so I hear.

If this is in reference to me, I said I worried they were too soft, not too hard for close range impacts. At 225 yards your velocity was down to 2200 fps and the bullet appears to have performed well.

What I said before was my 30-06 180 gr Interlocks lost about half their mass at a 50 yard shot and if you were shooting a .243 they might "splatter" more upon impact. From my 24 inch .243 being pushed by 39.5 gr of H 4350 they make about 3000 fps and at 50 yards they are doing about 2850 fps to 100 yards about 2750 fps. This is why I think a tougher bullet would perform better at shorter distances with a .243.

Obviously you had a good experience.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    If this is in reference to me, I said I worried they were too soft, not too hard for close range impacts.

Nope. Not at all. Was referring to someone else's thread.
    While we are on the subject of Interlocks I have a question.

Is the Interlock designed to act similar to a Nosler Partition? In that the front half has a relatively thin jacket to aid expansion at extended range or lower impact velocity while the rear of the core is locked in place to guarantee penetration.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,802 Senior Member
    While we are on the subject of Interlocks I have a question.

Is the Interlock designed to act similar to a Nosler Partition? In that the front half has a relatively thin jacket to aid expansion at extended range or lower impact velocity while the rear of the core is locked in place to guarantee penetration.

http://www.hornady.com/store/InterLock-bullets/

bullets-interlock-cutaway.jpg
    Our traditional line of bullets feature exposed lead tips for controlled expansion and hard hitting terminal performance. Most have our pioneering secant ogive design-one of the most ballistically efficient profiles ever developed. Most feature our exclusive InterLock® design--a raised ring inside the jacket that is embedded in the bullet's core that keeps the core and jacket locked together during expansion to retain mass and energy.

SECANT OGIVE DESIGN
    Pioneered by Hornady® for use in hunting bullets, this technology broke new ground in ballistic engineering and is now used in bullets for everything from match to varmint shooting.

The secant ogive is a geometrically developed design that creates the most ballistically efficient profile, yet retains the optimum bearing surface. The combination of the slender point and increased bearing surface results in lower drag, increased stability, flatter trajectories, and amazing accuracy.

Features:
    1. Inner Grooves
    Strategically weaken the upper section of the jacket, ensuring consistent, controlled expansion, even at long range.
    2. Tapered Jacket
    Jacket thickness is precisely controlled for expansion at all velocities.
    3. One-Piece Core
    Does not separate like divided cores. The InterLock® retains more mass and energy for deep penetration and large, consistent wound channels that ensure quick, clean kills.
    4. Cannelure
    Provides accurate and consistent crimping and also works with InterLock® ring to ensure the core and jacket remain locked during expansion.
    5. InterLock® Ring
    The raised InterLock® ring is embedded in the bullet’s core, ensuring the core and jacket are locked in one piece during expansion to retain mass and energy.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,536 Senior Member
    Another classic case of bullet failure.

Zee.....when are you going to get with the program and do it right?

Mike

edit: BTW......243 Win's too small for deer. .270's about right.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    If this is in reference to me, I said I worried they were too soft, not too hard for close range impacts. At 225 yards your velocity was down to 2200 fps and the bullet appears to have performed well.

What I said before was my 30-06 180 gr Interlocks lost about half their mass at a 50 yard shot and if you were shooting a .243 they might "splatter" more upon impact. From my 24 inch .243 being pushed by 39.5 gr of H 4350 they make about 3000 fps and at 50 yards they are doing about 2850 fps to 100 yards about 2750 fps. This is why I think a tougher bullet would perform better at shorter distances with a .243.

Obviously you had a good experience.

D

No Doctor Death here is talking about me. And one deer doesn't change my distrust for the Interlock. He hit a big mass of bone and/or hard cartilage with that bullet and also he hit the heart. I never said that either my wife or myself hit the heart. It's good shooting, but doesn't prove much. I'll still stick to my game kings.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    So, it doesn't prove anything because..........he hit the vitals?

I'm confused.
    cpj wrote: »
    It kinda proves that if you make a good shot, the deer dies.

The Texas heart shot is a good shot.
    Dad 5-31-13

Thank you for posting that Dan. I apologize if you feel like I was baiting you. I had a two year old pulling on my pant leg and wanted to post what I had before my phone ate it.

Based on what Hornady says and your description IMHO the Interlock you used preformed perfectly.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,037 Senior Member

I'm going to hypothesize that since your buddy just nicked the heart, the reaction you saw was more like a hit to one of the arteries - - that is, the heart was NOT so damaged that it couldn't keep working somewhat effectively as a pump; the problem being that it was no longer pumping into a closed system.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Just FYI.

I love BDA's (Bullet Damage Assessments)

I'm just bummed that I only got to post one this year.
    So, it doesn't prove anything because..........he hit the vitals?

I'm confused.

Now try to stay with me here, He hit the heart directly, not just the lungs. Lung shots can allow deer to run a couple hundred yards or more sometimes, if the bullet doesn't expand enough to cause enough damage to cause it to bleed out rapidly. I also suppose that even some heart shots won't put an animal down immediately if they don't cause it to fail outright. I hear a lot of people telling stories about hitting a deer in the heart and he runs for a mile(Figure of speech).
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    The Texas heart shot is a good shot.

Any shot is a good shot that puts an animal down where you can find it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Any shot is a good shot that puts an animal down where you can find it.

Did you find it?
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,650 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I'm going to hypothesize that since your buddy just nicked the heart, the reaction you saw was more like a hit to one of the arteries - - that is, the heart was NOT so damaged that it couldn't keep working somewhat effectively as a pump; the problem being that it was no longer pumping into a closed system.

Bingo.

A half-inch higher and the deer might not have even been able to jump the fence. Hypothesis, of course.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Bingo.

A half-inch higher and the deer might not have even been able to jump the fence. Hypothesis, of course.
    Thanks Zee. I always enjoy the performance posts. Been interested in this one. On a side note, your buddy looks just like you. The resemblance in the face is uncanny.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    So, what I've learned here, is, that Interlocks will only kill deer if you hit it directly in the heart. Meanwhile, Game Kings kill every deer, every time, no matter where you hit it. Back leg, big toe, tail, earlobe, whatever. As long as you use a Game King, the deer will die, right where you shoot it. It won't run off into the weeds, making it difficult to find, which Interlocks obviously do.
    jbohio wrote: »
    So, what I've learned here, is, that Interlocks will only kill deer if you hit it directly in the heart. Meanwhile, Game Kings kill every deer, every time, no matter where you hit it. Back leg, big toe, tail, earlobe, whatever. As long as you use a Game King, the deer will die, right where you shoot it. It won't run off into the weeds, making it difficult to find, which Interlocks obviously do.

Yes.
    Dad 5-31-13