Missed another coyote :(

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,845 Senior Member
Thanks to the FINE job of scheduling my employer does, came home after 30 minutes on the clock today (another story in and of itself)
I always take a look through late fil's yard when passing to look for signs of trespassers thieves or vandals.

On my way in today, saw a 'yote out in the kudzu partch. Got home, grabbed the bedside AR and headed back up the hill.

Parked close to the road and headed back towards the old shop, figuring "wiley" had already left. Saw movement and it popped out of a low spot ~150-200 yards away. The 3 MOA dot I have on the HD AR nearly covered its chest, so I held about the top half of the dot over and touched off 2 in quick succession. No joy :tissue:

Lesson learned? Red dots aren't that great for smaller targets at extended ranges. FYI, busting clays on the 100 yard berm normally isn't an issue with that rifle/scope/load combo

I am probably going to take my scoped HBAR to the range and re-dial it in for varmint bullets instead of the 64gr bondeds it's currently sighted in for. I MUCH prefer crosshairs over that 3MOA red dot for distance shooting.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Maybe this:
    hexer.gif
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I am probably going to take my scoped HBAR to the range and re-dial it in for varmint bullets instead of the 64gr bondeds it's currently sighted in for. I MUCH prefer crosshairs over that 3MOA red dot for distance shooting.

:agree:

Yep!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,483 Senior Member
    Sounds like you need a good crosshair!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,280 Senior Member
    Maybe you should get Alpha to give you a few pointers :rotflmao:
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Lesson learned? Red dots aren't that great for smaller targets at extended ranges. FYI, busting clays on the 100 yard berm normally isn't an issue with that rifle/scope/load combo

curious as to where you hold shooting them at 100 ?
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »

curious as to where you hold shooting them at 100 ?
    A regular clay is ~4" and 3 MOA is just over 3" @ 100, so basically I cover the clay with the dot.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I don't recall ever using a red dot and don't know much about them.
    Would a 3" one appear to be 6-7 inches at 200 yards then ?
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Would a 3" one appear to be 6-7 inches at 200 yards then ?
    If it's actually the size Tru-glo claims it is, yes it should be 3" @ 100, 6" @ 200, 9" @300 etc etc

• HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    I still like the red dots for some applications though. The first one I bought was a 5MOA Pro-point, that still rests upon my 1894 Marlin, .44 magnum. Obviously, not the best choice for long distance shooting, as related by Paul, but target acquisition is almost instant, and there is no paralax. I set that rifle up to hunt hogs, when I lived in Florida, and it is still a pretty good set up for thick woods deer. I have a 3MOA Bushnell on one of my AR's and a couple of 3MOA Millets on handguns. Keep yer powder dry......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    At 200 its a 6moa dot which can get tricky on a song dog at that range. I agree on scoping the varmints, greatly increases their mortality rates!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,347 Senior Member
    Putting a regular ceosshair should fix all that ails you with this one. I can't imagine trying to make a precise shot with a 3-MOA setup that far out. You get everything rigged up right and I doubt that there will be any more misses.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,761 Senior Member
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    timc wrote: »
    At 200 its a 6moa dot which can get tricky on a song dog at that range. I agree on scoping the varmints, greatly increases their mortality rates!
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Putting a regular ceosshair should fix all that ails you with this one. I can't imagine trying to make a precise shot with a 3-MOA setup that far out. You get everything rigged up right and I doubt that there will be any more misses.
    Thing is, For this upper's MAIN purpose for existing, I prefer the dot (HD) I'll have the HBAR upper dialed in for varmint ammo right after deer season ends. I have no doubt with it's 6-18x scope, and the "tall" bi-pod mounted, "wiley" won't escape it :nono: