Culling goats in NZ

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,102 Senior Member
Orchidman, if you see this.... damn brother you got some beautiful geography in Kiwi land...I want to come there and hunt SO FREAKING BAD.

Good video of some gents culling with shots at 450 to 900 yards.

Goat culling Long Range. Ben Watson NZ: http://youtu.be/Vey05ltuZpE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Free goat soup? :uhm: Later,
    Fat Billy

    Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    That's what I have been telling you guys!

    You may remember a few years back I posted up a thread of a trip Bloodhound and I made to cull goats off his brothers property. Terrain was very similar.

    Bloodhound is down there as I type this..............culling goats. :tissue: Hopefully he took his camera...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    You know what they say in West Virginia! "Goats are nice but sheep are beautiful"
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Goats always seemed to me to be all bloat, guts and hot air, you get a huge goat, and its like a cartoon, pifffffffff, and what you have left is not all that much meat.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Goats always seemed to me to be all bloat, guts and hot air, you get a huge goat, and its like a cartoon, pifffffffff, and what you have left is not all that much meat.....

    Buffy is the only one I know here that can love a goat. Now a sheep, well that's something altogether different.............:silly::yikes::fan:

    :rotflmao:................:rotflmao:................:rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Alec, are these good to eat? We have wild Spanish goats in the Texas Hill Country on down to Uvalde and a young cabrito is excellent barbecued. I shot one at 300 yards one day, but that's about the longest shot I've taken. I miss hunting in Uvalde for that very reason, well that and it's full of deer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    Goat meat makes the best curry. Indians swear by it. Roasted, its not too bad either. ( Apologies to Buffy)

    Interesting story about goats.
    A few years back I was culling goats out of a reserve. I had been asked by a couple of Indians ( from India, not the USA) to retrieve the carcases, phone them and they would come pick them up.

    Came back from the reserve ( by boat as it was upriver from Marks place) with 7-8 carcases, laid them out in the shade on the side of his driveway and made a couple of phone calls.
    Sat back on Marks deck to enjoy a cold drink and wait for them to arrive. From his deck we had a view south along the road of about 2 miles. (These guys lived about 30mins drive from our location.)

    About 20 minutes later we see 3 vehicles come over the hill about 2 1/2 miles away going like the clappers........... when they hit the mile long straight prior to Marks driveway they would have been doing well in excess of the 100km/h speed limit and trying to overtake each other. Wondered what the hell was going on.............until in a cloud of rubber and accompanying screeching tyres they turned into his driveway, screamed up the gravel towards the house, locked up their brakes and slid to a halt.

    4 male Indians spring out of the 3 vehicles, run to the carcases and then get into a pushing shoving match with a few fists thrown in as they argued over who was going to get which carcases..........

    Got them calmed down and found out that it was a matter of pride about who got the best carcase.

    Young 'kids' are the best eating followed by 2-3 year old nanny's. If you can put up with the stench, Billy's can be eaten but they need special preparation to 'soften' them up and make them palatable.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Goat meat makes the best curry. Indians swear by it. Roasted, its not too bad either. ( Apologies to Buffy)

    Interesting story about goats.
    A few years back I was culling goats out of a reserve. I had been asked by a couple of Indians ( from India, not the USA) to retrieve the carcases, phone them and they would come pick them up.

    Came back from the reserve ( by boat as it was upriver from Marks place) with 7-8 carcases, laid them out in the shade on the side of his driveway and made a couple of phone calls.
    Sat back on Marks deck to enjoy a cold drink and wait for them to arrive. From his deck we had a view south along the road of about 2 miles. (These guys lived about 30mins drive from our location.)

    About 20 minutes later we see 3 vehicles come over the hill about 2 1/2 miles away going like the clappers........... when they hit the mile long straight prior to Marks driveway they would have been doing well in excess of the 100km/h speed limit and trying to overtake each other. Wondered what the hell was going on.............until in a cloud of rubber and accompanying screeching tyres they turned into his driveway, screamed up the gravel towards the house, locked up their brakes and slid to a halt.

    4 male Indians spring out of the 3 vehicles, run to the carcases and then get into a pushing shoving match with a few fists thrown in as they argued over who was going to get which carcases..........

    Got them calmed down and found out that it was a matter of pride about who got the best carcase.

    Young 'kids' are the best eating followed by 2-3 year old nanny's. If you can put up with the stench, Billy's can be eaten but they need special preparation to 'soften' them up and make them palatable.

    Yep! Same for here. We always wanted to shoot the big ol' Billy, but he was not near as good at the table.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yep! Same for here. We always wanted to shoot the big ol' Billy, but he was not near as good at the table.

    Hey, Filipinos revere goats about as much as Indians. They like to make Lechon out of them or caladera. Lechon is like , caldera is soup. To prepare a Lechon they cut the goat's throat, bleed it out proper, skin it, gut it, clean it out, put lemon grass in the body cavity and sew it back up, stick a bamboo poll about an inch and a half diameter through the "Rear" body orfice and out the mouth. Drive two stakes into the ground at each end forming an x and laying the poll on it over hot coals. They spin the goat for about 3-5 hours, depending on its size, and presto, Filipino Rotissery Goat!

    They do this with pigs too. Only they don't skin the pig, they scrape it. Lechon Baboi (Pig) is a National Treasure.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,542 Senior Member
    About twenty some years ago when I lived in Texas, a couple of friends and I were drawn for a hunt on some state land down around Llano to cull feral goats and exotics that had migrated off of some area game ranches. I ended up with three goats in my cooler and after I shot the first one, my two friends didn't want anything to do with them. I was actually locating and tracking the herd by smell. I had never been around an animal that smelled so bad and one of my friend even yacked while I was skinning one. I found that once the skin was off and tied in a garbage bag, the rest of the animal didn't smell any different than a deer. To me it tasted like a cross between pork and lamb and I wouldn't hesitate to eat one again.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    About twenty some years ago when I lived in Texas, a couple of friends and I were drawn for a hunt on some state land down around Llano to cull feral goats and exotics that had migrated off of some area game ranches. I ended up with three goats in my cooler and after I shot the first one, my two friends didn't want anything to do with them. I was actually locating and tracking the herd by smell. I had never been around an animal that smelled so bad and one of my friend even yacked while I was skinning one. I found that once the skin was off and tied in a garbage bag, the rest of the animal didn't smell any different than a deer. To me it tasted like a cross between pork and lamb and I wouldn't hesitate to eat one again.

    You ever heard the old saying, "He smells like a goat!" well there yo go, HA!HA! But you're exactly right. Once you get that oily skin off the meat doesn't stink.

    Boar hogs are much the same. For a long time I would shoot a boar and leave it lay. Then I shot a boar on my friends land and she wouldn't allow me to waste it. She said you shoot it you eat it, LOL!. So we hung it up in a tree by her house and skinned the thing. OMG that hide stinked to Hi Heaven! But I noticed after it was skinned and we washed it off good with a garden hose it didn't smell bad at all.

    Later when I cooked some it was fine, maybe not as good as a sow or a small pig but it was totally edible.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 697 Senior Member
    My best billy is 30 inches point to point, shot him as I popped over a ridge at 10 yards, with exceptions goat culling is fairly easy and a hell of a lot of fun, plus free meat. My friends best head is 38 inches point to point with two complete twists, one thing I will say is that I gagged a little cutting that head off, yuck, I won't even consider eating a mature billy. They're are so common in places that I've run them into blackberry or fences and chased them down running downhill.
    It can be downright murder sometimes, that 30 inch billy was part of a mob of 28, the sporter profiled barrel on the borrowed CZ .223 that I was using was throwing a shotgun pattern by the time I caught up with number 28.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.