Stupid can hurt...sometimes it's terminal...LE shooting near here

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 15,070 Senior Member
http://www.salina.com/news/local/kbi-investigating-shooting-of-rural-saline-county-man-by-deputies/article_05d7ebc1-9cd4-562a-be9f-96393d5db39f.html

I knew this guy, not well, but well enough to know I didn't want to be around him. Never the sharpest knife in the drawer, always on the prod with an alligator mouth that was overloading his canary ass - adding alcohol made him (in his mind) 10 foot tall and bulletproof...pulling a gun on a pair of Deputies? I can see it happening...Doesn't surprise me a bit.
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,865 Senior Member
    You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

That "einstein's" prize was a toe-tag and a trip to the morgue :silly:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    Glad it happened before the kid was old enough to be really damaged by the situation.

And yes- play stupid games, win stupid prizes
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Some people's kids.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Glad the deputies are O.K. Seems like the worst situations for LE are the domestic type ones. As to the guy pulling a pistol on two deputies, don't know what he thought that would accomplish in a positive manner to him, but it sure cured his bad temperament. Sounds like he was an accident waiting for a place to happen.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I know people like that, some of them bluster and bully so much, the Police get nervous around them, same people associate with the wrong people, this guy has known felons living in his home, had a no knock search warrant served, and he ended up cuffed with LEOs pretending he was a sofa, even when he is talking in his normal manner, he can be perceived as overly aggressive and potentially violent.. People like him have high potential for getting shot.... even when unarmed.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    Ah, but another example of Darwinism in action.......
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    tennmike wrote: »
    Glad the deputies are O.K. Seems like the worst situations for LE are the domestic type ones. As to the guy pulling a pistol on two deputies, don't know what he thought that would accomplish in a positive manner to him, but it sure cured his bad temperament. Sounds like he was an accident waiting for a place to happen.

My dad used to call people like that "A Loose Cannon."

.....:bang:..........:nono:..........:uhm:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I knew a guy Moishe, he would stop taking his medications for mental illness, then run out into the street with a hammer and shake it at people, I would often take away that hammer and run him home and insist he take his meds, his family would comply.

One fine day, Moishe ran out with his hammer and a cute tiny female NYPD Rookie yells at Moishe to drop the hammer, she has also stupidly called a 10-13 excitedly on Division 10 getting a level lll response to a nothing incident, 40 shots later and Moishe is dead, DRT........

Too many amped up LEOs on energy drinks, etc...... Many incidents start out in a way that can be dealt with peacefully, but escalating those incidents, ramped up militeristic LEOs over reacting lead to needless deaths, I learned this on the streets as a LEO and in EMS the hard way, not reading about it in a book like many do...that critique such matters.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I knew a guy Moishe, he would stop taking his medications for mental illness, then run out into the street with a hammer and shake it at people, I would often take away that hammer and run him home and insist he take his meds, his family would comply.

One fine day, Moishe ran out with his hammer and a cute tiny female NYPD Rookie yells at Moishe to drop the hammer, she has also stupidly called a 10-13 excitedly on Division 10 getting a level lll response to a nothing incident, 40 shots later and Moishe is dead, DRT........

Too many amped up LEOs on energy drinks, etc...... Many incidents start out in a way that can be dealt with peacefully, but escalating those incidents, ramped up militeristic LEOs over reacting lead to needless deaths, I learned this on the streets as a LEO and in EMS the hard way, not reading about it in a book like many do...that critique such matters.....

That's a bad and sad thing about human nature. People tend to overreact when they get in a situation they haven't really been in before. I know they teach them what to do in the Academy, but classroom and real life can be so different. The wrong reaction can trigger deadly results. That's why I think experience still should be the lead. I don't care what your grades in college were, you need about 5 years minimum OJT for about any job. Yep some whiz bang computer genius kids can really impress in the short term. But when it comes to real life situations that happen on the spur of the moment, there's no way to teach every scenario that can pop up, so classroom genius while nice to have in a resume is not the complete answer and doesn't always give the end of story results we want. Knowledge and genius needs to be tempered with solid experience.
    Justice needs to be tempered with mercy.

You need old grizzled cops out there !
    Veterans with wisdom, there are far too many diaper wearing young sprouts in the field lacking experience, but the nanny brass supervision whining, " too old too old" tend to enforce department age regulations, forced retirement policy that gets rid of the much needed older experienced supervisory field officers.

So you have green horns killing people.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Or, departments that do not practice retention of personnel, so all of the "experienced" people move on to greener pastures. A very young department has a tough learning curve to overcome. Admin pukes who think that the fresh graduates out of an academy are just as good as folks with 10-15 years on the job make it tough to be effective and safe.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    There are many judgment calls in the Fire / EMS service, Law Enforcement, public safety in general, older heads have more success generally, and I feel that all public safety workers need to work together without division or the wedge of us vs. them mindset, the very thing that alienates the public feelings of resentment and worse a full blown cancer of distrust and an unbridgeable gulf between the police and the people they have sworn an oath to protect & serve.