What is your favorite deer rifle?

ritchey sr.ritchey sr. New MemberPosts: 14 New Member
My current deer rifle is a TC Venture 7mm mag topped with a Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40. It is new and I can't wait to try it out on a nice buck.

Replies

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Weatherby Ultra lightweight in 280 Rem
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior in 7mm-08
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    My current deer rifle is a TC Venture 7mm mag. It is new and I can't wait to try it out on a nice buck.

Hehehe! Well, I know there's a few here that probably don't want to here this, but my most favorite deer rifle is my own venerable 45 year old 1966 model 70 Winchester .270 Winchester Push Feed with that uglier n hell pressed basket weave checkering and sloppy feeling bolt. It has been there-done that more than once. It has the best kill record in my safe and it is as much a part of me as anything in that safe, including my Garand. If I get a chance to hunt this year it will be the go to babe of the bunch. There's plenty in my safe that need blooding, but I need some meat first. Then I'll worry about the rest of em.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    BTW, this thread should probably be under hunting.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Remington 700 in 7mm08 with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 scope. Federal "Fusion" 140gr bullets.

I've got a 7mm Remington Magnum (Weatherby Vanguard) on layaway right now for a pending elk hunt, but to be honest I would feel confident taking one with the 7mm08 if I could get close enough. The hunt is just an excuse for a new gun!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    That's like asking me to pick a favorite child. I don't know how to do that.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »

:agree::that: I have 7 rifles(out of my collection) that are suited for deer in this country...............I wouldn't hesistae to use any of them on a deer. More than likely I would grab the Savage .270 first....
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    BTW, this thread should probably be under hunting.

Maybe Snake, but there have been several post here in the past couple of months that should have been moved to other forums.....
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    While I agree with BPsniper, I will usually go to my Hershel House .50cal with flintlock ignition and 48 inch barrel. With this piece over the years I've killed squirrels and other small game, turkeys, deer, hogs and bear with patched round balls weighing about 182gr. I'll match wits with any of your modern pieces out to about 100 yards with any of the dozen or so flintlocks I have ;-)
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Synthetic stocked Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm08 topped with a Leupold VX3L 3.5-10x50.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • PAAndyPAAndy Member Posts: 50 Member
    I have had a number of deer rifles in the past. But 2 rifles really stand out 1) Winchester M88 in .308 and 2) Kimber 84M .257 Roberts..... I have been using the Roberts the past 2 or 3 years, but that M88 has put more deer in the freezer than any other rifle I have owned.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    I only own one true Deer Rifle, it is not fancy or expensive. Savage Mdl 110 in 30-06 topped with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 scope. When loaded with Federal Fusion 165gr ammo it shoots much much better than I am able.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    My most favorite rifle for taking deer was a Sako custom 7mm-08 but in my gun lust for another gun I sold it some years back. So I guess the New Nosler Custom M48 TGR in 7mm-08 that is coming will be my favorite but until it gets here (Noevember 1st, 2nd or 3rd) my 260 Custom holds that spot with my 358Win Ruger Hawkeye in close second for the moment.
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 708 Senior Member
    Since I can't shoot a centerfire rifle where I am at in Minnesota, it is going to have to be my CVA Kodiak Magnum Pro muzzleloader.

We only have a shotgun slug season and a muzzleloader season.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,006 Senior Member
    Either my custom Mauser in 7MM08, or the one in .284. It's a toss up.
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    Remington 700 in 7mmRM
  • black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    Sears J.C. Higgins Mauser 30-06 with Tasco World Class 3-9x40. Installed Timney trigger and glass bedded after fall broke stock clean through the wrist, and now shoots 1/2 MOA with 165 gr Core-Lokts.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    1964 push-feed Model 70 in .30-06, Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40, hand loaded with 165 gr. Nosler BTs over RL-22.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,835 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »

Likewise...I have several...each one designed for a particular deer hunting niche...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,665 Senior Member
    Depends on the day, basically my favorite is the one I'm carrying at the time.
    I love all my "children" equally :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 007FJ007FJ New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    My A-Bolt SS Stalker 270 with a Conquest shoots Federal Fusions so well. I now have a rebarreled L/A Savage in 257 Roberts that will be in use this year too. I have a Sako 85 338 Federal on the way...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,481 Senior Member
    Whatever I happen to be carrying when I get a shot at a deer, I suppose. I really don't have a favorite.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    I also don't get to hunt deer with a rifle in my state

The one I'd be grabbing would be the 257 without a doubt
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    007FJ wrote: »
    My A-Bolt SS Stalker 270 with a Conquest shoots Federal Fusions so well. I now have a rebarreled L/A Savage in 257 Roberts that will be in use this year too. I have a Sako 85 338 Federal on the way...

Oh Mikes going to love you :jester:
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Oh Mikes going to love you :jester:

And they are both from TEXAS :jester::agree::guns:
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,490 Senior Member
    Heavy timber M-70 ftw w/ Bushnell 1.5 - 4.5x .358win
    semi open country 1903-a3 w/ Weatherby imperial 4x .30-06
    open country CZ-550 w/ 3.5 - 10x Burris w/ posi-loc .270
    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    My Reminton 710 7mm mag. Mostly because it's the one I'm most comfortable with. Some of you have said what a turd that model is but I guess I got lucky or something because that one is easily one of my most accurate.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    What is your favorite deer rifle?

That's whichever one I pick out of the rack on my way out the back door. Since I built, or at least modifed virtually all of them, I have 100% faith in their ability to get the job done. Like Woodsrunner, I've gotten partial to flintlock smokepoles lately.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • 007FJ007FJ New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    And they are both from TEXAS :jester::agree::guns:
    Worse than that, I discovered today that we know each other very well!
    I still work at the same plant he retired from, same town, gun club, lodge...He lives less than a mile away.

I don't LOVE the 270's but they get the job done well. I have a BAR that likes 130 Supremes and the A-Bolt just spits those cheap 150 Fusions as if they were hand loads. Besides my 308 is way to nice to carry to the blind which is why I leave the Super Sniper 10x42 HD on it, to resist that temptation. If that Sako slings them well, it will see some action for sure just so I can see a 338 slap a hog. I have a 1.5-6 Euro Diamond waiting for it.

Small world fellas, I am here to tell you.
    007FJ wrote: »
    Worse than that, I discovered today that we know each other very well!
    I still work at the same plant he retired from, same town, gun club, lodge...He lives less than a mile away.

I don't LOVE the 270's but they get the job done well. I have a BAR that likes 130 Supremes and the A-Bolt just spits those cheap 150 Fusions as if they were hand loads. Besides my 308 is way to nice to carry to the blind which is why I leave the Super Sniper 10x42 HD on it, to resist that temptation. If that Sako slings them well, it will see some action for sure just so I can see a 338 slap a hog. I have a 1.5-6 Euro Diamond waiting for it.

Small world fellas, I am here to tell you.

Nothing wrong with knowing Mike Walker, he is a good guy and loves the 270. You are right about it being a small world and that is what is scary. That means I might run into "?" one day!!! If only the world were larger?:jester: