What is your favorite deer rifle?

2»

Replies

• 007FJ007FJ New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    No doubt knowing Mike is a good thing. Bailed me out for a whole year when he was Secretary. That being said, I didn't know about his 270 love!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,736 Senior Member
    007FJ wrote: »
    , I didn't know about his 270 love!

You must be the only one in the world..............Hell we even heard about it in New Zealand!!!!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    You must be the only one in the world..............Hell we even heard about it in New Zealand!!!!

Well he can talk so I shouldn't be surprised he can linger in here with a keyboard and get the words out.

Come on Mike...where are you? I can't wait for you to see the PM I sent you.

Sorry for the thread topic drift.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Rem 7400 .30-06 because that is all I have.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Same one I've been using since my very first hunt 35 years ago , my Ruger M-77 in 30-06.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    My "Favorite" is my old Ruger .44 Carbine topped with an old 3x9 Redfield. Got one last year at ~90 yds with it.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • 3RD LAR3RD LAR Member Posts: 40 Member
    My favorite would be my Marlin 336 30/30 that was passed down to me from my grandpa (My dads first deer rifle) and soon to be my sons first. Now that I hunt the big bean fields in northern missouri I prefer my savage .270 with bushnell 4 x 12 x 50 130 grain sierra spitzer BT because its a deer slaying son of a gun.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now! There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" LTGEN LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC :iwo:
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Lyman GPR percussion .50 cal, round-ball over 70 or 90 grains FFG gives near-identical accuracy. 80 grains opens the groups up a bit, so I use 70 for target, 90 for hunting.

As accurate off a bench at 100 yards with open sights as some guys with the latest whiz-bang sabot-shooting heavy-scoped modern front-stuffer, when I do my part.

th_muzzleloader2-3.jpg
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    Maybe Snake, but there have been several post here in the past couple of months that should have been moved to other forums.....

You're right Robert. I keep forgetting Marshall Dan is no longer with us. I keep expecting him to come in and move the thread. He had his reasons for keeping house so neat, and I hate to see us lapse.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    007FJ wrote: »
    No doubt knowing Mike is a good thing. Bailed me out for a whole year when he was Secretary. That being said, I didn't know about his 270 love!

It's a long story Richard, but if you hang around for a few weeks you'll know all about it.
    :rotflmao:

BTW Richard, you gotta watch our NZ Bro here, LOL!!! His views are tainted because he's on the bottom of the world and must be standing on his head all the time.

:yesno: :silly::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    I'm a lever action guy. Winchester Model 88 in .308. That's my Dad's rifle and I've shot a couple deer with it. I love that thing! Light enough to carry all day, handles like a dream.
    My own rifle is my second favorite. Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum. A bit lighter, handles just as well but more of a brush gun wherease the 88 can be a brush gun or take the longer shots. Plus, I like the detachable magazine. I know I'm in the minority here on that but it's just my personal preference.
    I think another aspect is simply that it's my Dad's rifle. Sentimentality and knowing that it's shot more deer than I will in my lifetime.

I like a bolt action for target shooting or still hunting on a big open area but when I'm in the woods my preference is the quick handling and comfort of a lever gun.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...favorite deer rifle???

...an old Winchester Model 92 in .32-20. That rifle has probably killed more deer than a good number of board members combined. It kept 2-3 good-sized families fed thru a couple WW's, a Great Depression, a few mine strikes, a mill lock-out, & some other "Bad Times". It taught a whole passel of kids, grandkids, & great grandkids to shoot, & most of 'em took their first deer w/ it. Mild & unassuming, quieter than a .22, it still put down deer w/ authority well beyond its modest ballistics. Went to my cousin (oldest grandkid) when my granpa passed...
    We have a winner. I love that history!
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...favorite deer rifle???

...an old Winchester Model 92 in .32-20. That rifle has probably killed more deer than a good number of board members combined. It kept 2-3 good-sized families fed thru a couple WW's, a Great Depression, a few mine strikes, a mill lock-out, & some other "Bad Times". It taught a whole passel of kids, grandkids, & great grandkids to shoot, & most of 'em took their first deer w/ it. Mild & unassuming, quieter than a .22, it still put down deer w/ authority well beyond its modest ballistics. Went to my cousin (oldest grandkid) when my granpa passed...
    Don't let em kid you Richard, there's more .270 lovers here than me. Let's just say I'm one of the louder ones, Hahaha!

And the reason Alec heard it in NZ is because he's been on this forum as long or longer than me.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,722 Senior Member
    shawn1172 wrote: »
    I'm a lever action guy. Winchester Model 88 in .308. That's my Dad's rifle and I've shot a couple deer with it. I love that thing! Light enough to carry all day, handles like a dream.
    My own rifle is my second favorite. Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum. A bit lighter, handles just as well but more of a brush gun wherease the 88 can be a brush gun or take the longer shots. Plus, I like the detachable magazine. I know I'm in the minority here on that but it's just my personal preference.

My first center-fire rifle was a Model 88 in .308. I paid for half of it with odd jobs when I was in junior high, and my dad finished paying for it for my Christmas present. I scoped it with a K4 Weaver and learned to hand load for it and would have kept it forever, had I not been burglarized. It is a beautiful, accurate hunting rifle in one of the best chamberings ever.

PS: I also have a Marlin Model 94 in .44 magnum. You have excellent taste in hunting rifles, in my opinion. :beer:
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    I guess it would be my M700 .270win. with a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40.
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    PS: I also have a Marlin Model 94 in .44 magnum. You have excellent taste in hunting rifles, in my opinion. :beer:

I'm guessing you'd say the same about my taste in huntings handguns.... Ruger Super Black Hawk Bisley Hunter in .44magnum with 2.5X Bushnell scope. I haven't actually hunted with it yet though. Got it last year and am still working on my shooting with it to be confident enough to hunt with it. Not sure but I think you are the one who gave me a tip on lightening it's trigger pull via springs in the grip. If so, thanks again, it has helped.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Interesting question.

The CZ-550 Prestige .30-06 is a known tackdriver. It's got controlled-round feed and a safety that locks the bolt closed like a good safety should. It's got nice Turkish walnut and excellent bluing.

The Remington 700 XCRII .30-06 still has "new gun smell". I haven't worked up a load for it yet, but it only shoots about 2 MOA with the CZ's ammo (about .006" looser chamber than the Czech). It's push-feed and doesn't have a bolt lock. OTOH, it weighs about 2-3 pounds less and I can leave it in the rain for a week and not care. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    shawn1172 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you'd say the same about my taste in huntings handguns.... Ruger Super Black Hawk Bisley Hunter in .44magnum with 2.5X Bushnell scope. I haven't actually hunted with it yet though. Got it last year and am still working on my shooting with it to be confident enough to hunt with it. Not sure but I think you are the one who gave me a tip on lightening it's trigger pull via springs in the grip. If so, thanks again, it has helped.

You're going to LOVE that thing. Mike (Hondo on the forum) has one of'em with a red-dot on it, and I've managed 3 times now to shoot 1/2" or less at 50 yds. It is an absolute TACKDRIVER of a handgun.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    QUOTE=woodsrunner;40811]While I agree with BPsniper, I will usually go to my Hershel House .50cal with flintlock ignition and 48 inch barrel. With this piece over the years I've killed squirrels and other small game, turkeys, deer, hogs and bear with patched round balls weighing about 182gr. I'll match wits with any of your modern pieces out to about 100 yards with any of the dozen or so flintlocks I have ;-)[/QUOTE]

Don't you worry Bro Rich, ain't now way I'm letting myself get in a match with you with one of them flint locks or even a modern rifle. I figure you have done a lot of shooting getting where you are and you'd probably take ALL my money before it was over with!:rotflmao: